Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Christian    735

There's always been that all-American streak of wanting to get rid of immigrants and other religions. Hydra fits in well with the United States far Right. They don't need to be associated with Hitler. The CIA has spent years funding and supporting fascist groups throughout "Third World" countries in its crusade against Communism. Captain America can still represent the "American Dream", it'd just be a different "American Dream".

"Hitler? Guys, I'm not talking about Hitler! Hitler was a raving Left-Wing Communist! I'm talking about American moral values. I'm talking about great all-Americans, like George Wallace and Pat Buchanan! Hail America!"

dogpoet    443

Not William F Buckley?

(The only reason I've even heard of him is that clip of Gore Vidal tearing him another arsehole, if I'm honest, but I believe he's a big deal in American rightist circles. Fuck knows why if he was that stupid...)

Christian    735

Yeah, he was a mainstream Republican figure though, not part of the far Right in this country. He was very influential on Conservatism during the 1950s-early 1970s, before the neoliberal era. He sort of fell more out of favour when the Repubs decided they needed to start appealing to the poorest and most backwards part of the white populace in order to get enough votes to beat the Dems. Buckley actually thought that intellectualism had a place in American politics (regardless of how much of an idiot he sounded like in debating with Vidal), whereas now, Republican politicians like to pretend like they're all a bunch of "aw shucks, uneducated commoners" standing up to the intellectually elitist Liberals.

He's the type of Republican who would be frothing at the prospect that Donald Trump could be nominated as the Republican candidate.

dogpoet    443

So's Mitt Romney, it seems, so that's not raising the bar too high, sadly.

( i know, wrong of me to find all this shite funny, and yet: :boogie: ...)

Christian    735

Yeah, I know. They're all shite, but to be politically correct, we have to make allowances for differences between someone like Romney (the establishment Republicans) and someone like Pat Buchanan. Personally, I think Buchanan is a lot more intelligent than Romney....but that's me.

Christian    735

Civil War II is even stupider than it first appears. The premise is that there is an Inhuman who can see the future now. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time a character in the Marvel Universe has had precognition, but because this one is an Inhuman, I guess it's a really big deal. So, this sets up Philip K. Dick's Minority Report scenario, right? Simple. Tony Stark, who was portrayed as a fascist ass in the first series, is now going to be the voice of reason, who disagrees with the idea of heroes arresting someone before they're proven guilty of any crimes. Still not something I'm interested in reading by Brian Bendis or Marvel, but the premise is sound. Right?

Oh no! This is Brian Bendis! He messes everything up!

No. You know what the actual intent ends up being? That a group of heroes led by Captain Marvel used this Inhuman to tell them that Thanos planned to come to Earth to steal the Cosmic Cube left over from the Standoff event. They were waiting when Thanos showed up and in the battle, War Machine was killed. I don't give a fuck about spoilers, as this book has serious, unredeemable problems. The actual death occurred in the Free Comic Book Day Civil War II edition anyway. Now, this is what heroes do, right? If a cosmic threat like Thanos plans to acquire a weapon that can change the very nature of reality, heroes try to stop that from happening, right? It's been the premise of Marvel Comics since 1961, yes? Thanos with a Cosmic Cube is very scary....see:Starlin's Captain Marvel or Infinity Gauntlet.

So, the big reason that Tony Stark is so opposed to using this Inhuman precog is because his best friend James Rhodes was killed on a mission set up by this Inhuman. It wasn't even a false prophecy, the guy saw the future. Thanos came to Earth and attempted to steal the Cosmic Cube, that's what actually happened. Rhodes didn't die because the precog foretold something that was incorrect, and Rhodes died for no reason, nope.

Instead of coming across as a protagonist with a valid moral point, Stark looks like an idiot and a childish ass.

What exactly is the difference between someone picking up a phone and calling James Rhodes and telling him that Thanos was attacking? Would Tony Stark be railing against the dangers of telephones, had that been the case? Argh!

So much stupidity in one book.....Not to mention that Carol Danvers sounds like the rational one here, making Stark look more like an antagonist. So far, the heroes have only used the Inhuman for good purposes. They haven't used him to try to create a dystopian world without crime, as seen in Minority Report. Nope. What about natural disasters? Yes, the Inhuman could be used for scary ends, as in Minority Report (even if Bendis decided to go in a different direction, by making Stark look like an immature, selfish idiot), but he could also be used to predict when a natural disaster is about to occur. Superheroes being able to save lives without interfering with anyone's civil liberties is surely a good cause. Yet, this morally neutral use of the Inhuman's power isn't even addressed by Stark.

So, it looks like the entire Marvel Universe is going to go to war over the fact that Tony Stark's best buddy died while fighting a supervillain! What a horrible, horrible story. Leave it Bendis to mangle even the simplest of plots.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    443

The current big Marvel crossover franchise milking thing is crap, then?

:ohmy:

Christian    735

Of course it was going to be awful, no matter, but the fact that they took a simple idea that would work and made it in to a completely muddled mess just goes above and beyond. There's a level of competence in churning out crap for bucks, and this is just totally incompetent. Bendis really shouldn't be working in comic books anymore, nevermind being pushed as Marvel's lead writer in 2016.

dogpoet    443

You do wonder if he'd be able to start doing stuff like Alias or his run on Daredevil again if he buggered off for a couple of years and took some time off to recharge his batteries.

dogpoet    443

Oh, btw: I've had a look at those Vision and Scarlet Witch comics you've been banging on about, and the Scarlet Witch one really is Robinson firing on all cylinders, so thanks for the tip.

JasonT    439

Bendis is doing a great job on Spider-Man. The Miles Morales Spider-Man has been consistently excellent since his first appearance... which is something you can't say about Peter Parker.

dogpoet    443

Is this the same Miles as from the Ultimate series, or a different Miles?

dogpoet    443

Right. They seem to have a glut of spiderpeople there at the moment, don't they? Peter, Miguel, Jessica, this new Silk type, and now Miles. They'll be bringing the spiderclone back next...

(Is SpiderGwen still in her own universe?)

Christian    735

As far as I know, yes, she is.

They have a Web Warriors series going at Marvel, where all the different Spider-types team up.

Marvel had to find a line to glut in place of the X-books, because of the whole movie deal. Marvel decided to only have six different X-titles on the market! So, they chose the Spider-books to fill the shelves instead.

dogpoet    443

Why they don't just kill everybody and have the Beak and Quentin form a new team is beyond me. Okay, th franchise holders would ignore it, but it's not like they're paying any attention to anything else Marvel are doing to try to mess up their sharecrop, is it?

Christian    735

It's a tortured relationship. The movie deal hasn't stopped Marvel from publishing a series of Apocalypse story-arcs in their three main X-titles in order to cash in on (and help advertise) the new movie.

I haven't seen Beak in a long time...is he dead now?

Quire was the new head of the Hellfire Club the last time he was used.

dogpoet    443

I really liked him as a character. It does piss me off a bit that out of Morrison's three main new characters the best one is the one who's been completely ignored since.

Christian    735

Unbelievable! Apparently, Marvel is going to initiate a new partial soft-reboot of their comics after Secret Wars II. So, it won't even have been one year since the big "All New, All Different" relaunch, whose new launches really just ended this very month, will receive new #1 issues. I guess not ever series will be relaunched this time, but a number of series. That's just such insane overkill. The relaunch is being billed as the return to "Marvel NOW", whatever the hell that means.

dogpoet    443

In the future every issue will be a first issue...

• Upvote 2

Christian    735

The Steve Rogers Captain America comic is so lame. It's exactly what you probably thought, when you heard Rogers was a white supremacist now. I'm sure this has been done before. It's such a boring direction. I'm dropping the book now. Sam Wilson is the far better Captain America comic.

Black Panther has been improving since the first issue. I'm guessing the editors stepped in to make Coates writing read more clearly. I'm thinking the first issue was such a disappointment because Coates didn't really know how to write for a comic book script. Understandable. The editors should have been offering more help. The third issue begins to really get interesting. I like the incorporation of more traditional African beliefs in to the story also.

Christian    735

Wow! It looks like the evisceration of the X-titles is going to be completed. Only one X-book, and it's not even titled X-Men. In fact, it's titled "Death of X".

I hope Foolkiller gets a good writer and moves in a direction like the Steve Gerber book. That's about the most interesting new release on the list, depending on the creative team.

EDIT:Max Bemis has been announced as the writer. That is, apparently, the lead singer of a band called Say Anything, I guess? Unless the guy on Wikipedia is not the same one. It looks like a Max Bemis has one writing credit in comics, for a just completed X-Men mini-series titled "Worst X-Man Ever", which makes it sound like Bemis is a writer who liked humour, so not exactly a good fit for a Foolkiller book, I'd say.

JohnMcMahon    562

Going off the title alone, Death Of X sounds like it could run for a couple of months and then lead into a relaunch of the franchise.

As this is the Marvel thread, read the first three Hickman Avenger trades over the weekend and quite enjoyed them.