Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Christian    735

I enjoyed Hickman's Avengers too. It was the best the Avengers had been since the Busiek days, way back when. It had a very 1970s/Englehart/Starlin cosmic tone to it.

Oh, btw: I've had a look at those Vision and Scarlet Witch comics you've been banging on about, and the Scarlet Witch one really is Robinson firing on all cylinders, so thanks for the tip.

Scarlet Witch is fantastic, but I'm a pretty big Robinson fan anyway. It and Carnage (which is also great, surprising since I have zero interest in the character) are the only two Marvel books I'm currently enjoying, though even those I'm just reading six months behind on Marvel Unlimited.

Mercury727    5

After Hickman's Avengers, the current title feels very so-so. Does seem that way with a lot of their titles since Secret Wars, a lot of things occurring but no real weight to any of it.

Christian    735

If you count it as an Avengers title, The Ultimates written by Al Ewing is the best Avengers book Marvel is publishing currently. It's a fitting follow-up to the legacy of Hickman's run.

Waid's Avengers is ok, but pretty dull.

Christian    735

Jessica Jones #1-Hey, it's actually a good comic by Bendis. You don't see that everyday.

This is just like the old Alias. If you liked that series, you should give this book a chance.

JohnMcMahon    562

Picked up Fear Itself for 7 quid a few days back on Comixology and I'm still suffering through a serious case of buyer's remorse, what an awful mess of a story that was!

Christian    735

Uhh....yeah. You really should've avoided that. If you wanted to buy a 2000s-era big Marvel cross-over, you should have went with Chaos War.

JohnMcMahon    562

The price was right and I've enjoyed some of Fraction's work in the past but yeesh...spoilers....when Tony showed up and produced a new line of Asgardian themed Avenger figures..!

What I really want is a good old-fashioned X-Men crossover, where half-a-dozen teams of mutants come together and fight for a bit before beating up whoever the bad guy is.

Christian    735

Have you read Inferno yet? That's probably my favourite cross-over event ever.

It has Chris Claremont on X-Men and Louise Simonson on X-Factor, and there's a New Mutants arc, but that doesn't tie directly in to the X-Men and X-Factor chapters.

Mr. Sinister, an evil clone of Jean Grey, Hell on Earth, demonic versions of the X-Men....Inferno has it all!

Christian    735

Inferno actually was a pretty good story though. That's why it ranks as my favourite cross-over. Claremont used it to wrap up a lot of the outstanding dangling threads left over from his run. I'm not sure Marvel ever had another cross-over where the story was as good as Inferno. Being just a cross-over between the two related books, X-Men and X-Factor, made it easier to tell a story within the confines of a big event.

Some of the tie-in books (which weren't directly part of the event, but dealt with the invasion of Hell elements) were really good stories too....like Nocenti's Daredevil issue.

dogpoet    443

Best X men crossover =/= good read.

I mean seriously, look at some of the shite it's competing with...

Christian    735

Infamous Iron Man #1-Well, Marvel spoiled the ending of Civil War II by releasing this book in October, while Civil War II won't be over until December now, due to delays. Not that I was reading Civil War II, so I don't care. They decide to deal with Tony Stark in that way for being on the right side in Civil War II, while they decided to keep him around after the original Civil War, even though he was tarnished? They should have done this after the original Civil War. Well, I guess they killed Steve Rogers for being on the right side after Civil War I, so whatever.

For those not in the know, "Infamous Iron Man" features Dr. Doom as the new Iron Man. So, yeah, this is basically Superior Spider Man. It's not a bad read I don't have any complaints about it. Just, stupid Marvel with their big cross-overs.

Captain America: Sam Wilson NOW #1 (aka issue #15)-Why, exactly, is Flag Smasher a villain?

Christian    735

For those wondering if Marvel really was going to let the X-line fade away due to movie rights issues, have no fear! Marvel has announced that following the Death of X event, Marvel plan ResurreXion, a new launch for the X-line. So far, it looks like Marvel will be publishing a new bloated line of 10 X-books starting in the Spring!

Most of them look like horrible ideas, including a totally unnecessary Iceman ongoing solo book. Or, maybe a Jean Grey solo book could also fit in this catergory.

The line will be led by X-Men: Gold and X-Men: Blue.

Other books you may have hoped never to see again include Weapon X and Generation X, plus a new Cable series.

Creative teams have not been announced yet.

dogpoet    443

The line will be led by X-Men: Gold and X-Men: Blue.

Gotta catch 'em all?

• Upvote 1

Christian    735

Foolkiller #1-I enjoyed this. It is humourous, but it's a very dark humour. It seems to fit the character well, and it avoids any mistaking of the character as a Punisher-avatar. In this series, SHIELD gives the Foolkiller a chance to become a psychologist. It's the second Foolkiller being featured. I will definitely be checking out the next issue.

Occupy Avengers #1-This is good as well. Hawkeye is getting the Green Arrow treatment. In this first issue, Hawkeye is investigating a small town whose water supply has been poisoned by illegal dumping of toxic waste on a Native American reservation. Red Wolf teams up with Hawkeye.

JohnMcMahon    562
What I really want is a good old-fashioned X-Men crossover, where half-a-dozen teams of mutants come together and fight for a bit before beating up whoever the bad guy is.

Read Messiah Complex over the weekend and it totally hit that spot, not a lot of X-on-X violence but LOADS of good mutants fighting bad mutants.

Christian    735

I think I found that one pretty good by X-cross-over standards. Was that the one with the Marauders vs. The Purifiers vs. The X-Men?

"Second Coming" is the follow-up cross-over to "Messiah Complex". You might be interested in checking that out next, if you liked "Messiah Complex". It has Bastion and Nimrod attempting to finish wiping out the remaining mutants, before Hope can bring back the mutants after the events of "House of M". So, yeah, lots of fighting and mindless violence.

JohnMcMahon    562
I think I found that one pretty good by X-cross-over standards. Was that the one with the Marauders vs. The Purifiers vs. The X-Men?

The very one, you wouldn't hold it up as a startling use of the form but shit gets blown up real good. Thanks for the nod on Second Coming, think that itch has been well scratched for now - did pick up the first collection of the X-Force title that spun out of Messiah Complex mind.

Christian    735

Actually, I was sort of thinking of recommending that to you also. I didn't, because I thought you were specifically interested in cross-overs. I went back and read that version of X-Force earlier this year. I missed it at the time, because it sounded like a real mess. I was surprised by how much I ended up enjoying it. It's pretty mindless, but the writing isn't bad, and I was surprised by how violent the book got.

The X-Force series is part of the Second Coming event too.

The different X-Force series going forward from that point are all worth a read. After the version you're reading, Rick Remender relaunches the concept as Uncanny X-Force, which is very much worth a read. I consider it one of Remender's best comics, and it's easily one of Marvel's top books from the 2000s.

Then, there's a X-Force series written by Si Spurrier, which is also worth a read. Better than the Christopher Yost version, but not as good as Remender's. It has some nice political commentary, as you'd expect with Spurrier.