Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Eh, I don't really remember it, but I'm pretty sure I hated it. I think I found it incredibly stupid.

It's sandwiched in between Messiah Complex and Second Coming, but it wasn't entertaining like those two events. If I remember, there's a lot of stupidity about Cable traveling in time with baby Hope, trying to raise her to adulthood, while Bishop has gone insane and decides he has to kill Cable and Hope before she reaches adulthood....I don't think it's ever really explained why Bishop is acting so out-of-character, or why he feels he must kill Cable and Hope.

If I remember, there's also needless melodrama, where Cable confuses everyone by acting like a villain and keeping a lot of secrets, which makes people question his motivations, so they think that Bishop might be right. Except, the whole time, you realize that Bishop is acting totally insane, and you wonder why Cable won't just tell everyone his plan for Hope.

It can easily be skipped, and isn't necessary to understand Second Coming, Messiah War just leads in to Hope becoming an adult.

Cable actually sounds like the most promising of the new X-Men relaunch titles coming up. Marvel delayed in releasing creative details for that book until last. Most of the creative teams are pretty average (or ones I've never heard of in the case of Iceman and Generation X).

Cable will feature James Robinson as the writer. While Robinson is hit or miss, and he did write a really ho-hum brief run on Cable back in the mid-1i990s, there's always his current Scarlet Witch book to give hope.

The premise sounds promising, setting it apart from being just another mutant title, as it will feature Cable traveling to different time periods in order to stop a time traveling villain, who plans to use the "butterfly effect" to create the perfect managed society for his future time-line. It also sounds like the book may be playing on the forgotten-thought resolved-brought back up-forgotten Marvel standby since 2012 of "time is broken!".

Robinson playing in different time periods may, however, bring back bad memories of his Witchcraft mini-series from Vertigo....

-X-Men:Blue will feature current X-writer Cullen Bunn. Yes, I know he is writing the amazing Harrow County, but this is a X-title, and he's been writing Uncanny X-Men to this point. It will feature the original, time-displaced X-Men.

-X-Men:Gold will be the flagship title and be written by long-time Marvel standby Marc Guggenheim.

-Weapon X will be written by Greg Pak and star Wolverine and Sabretooth attempting to stop a new Weapon X project.

-Jean Grey will be written with current X-writer Dennis Hopeless, and features the teenage version of Jean, not a newly resurrected adult Jean again.

-Iceman will apparently be about an openly gay Bobby Drake. I've never heard of the creative team before.

-Generation X is the one that no one really wants to talk about, I guess. A rookie creative team, not much of a premise outside of "features younger mutants learning their powers". No one seems to care.

Will Robinson be allowed to continue writing the (rather good) Scarlet Witch series if he's taking over on one of the big X-books?

(The dismissal of Generation X is a bit depressing, given that this was the only X-Men comic worth reading during the mid '90s...)

Yeah, but it's pretty of the 1990s too....I mean the Generation X name is hardly as trendy as it was when, you know, Generation X was actually a thing.

It's not like a book with that title was ever going to be as good as the Lobdell/Bachalo stuff. Especially when the big X-relaunch's biggest creator name is James Robinson, who is a decent name, but this is hardly the level of Grant Morrison, Peter Milligan, and Joe Casey taking over the X-line (even if Casey on Uncanny ended up being really bad).

I thought that Scarlet Witch was coming to an end in the next few months anyway, because it wasn't listed as one of Marvel's books for the Marvel NOW relaunch (which just happened). I was surprised to see it continue beyond issue #12. So, I'm not totally sure, but I'd guess it was supposed to be coming to an end soon.

Eh, I don't really remember it, but I'm pretty sure I hated it. I think I found it incredibly stupid.

Suffers a sudden, crushing bout of buyer's remorse.

Thanks though!

At least he hasn't discovered Chuck Austen's run on Uncanny X-Men yet....Talk about abusing oneself. I read that entire run, because I'm an Uncanny X-Men completest. I still have bad memories of some of the crap that Austen churned out. It's like PTSD.

LMAO why are you doing this to yourself?

Messiah Complex was deceptively entertaining!

Second Coming is going cheap on Comixology so will read that over Christmas.

Leave him alone, Lou! He doesn't need that sort of hassling! He's going through enough right now! :biggrin:

Messiah Complex and Second Coming weren't the most horrible reads, if you just want some mindless entertainment.

Civil War and A vs. X were just irredeemable crap.

Did you read Civil War? X Men vs Avengers?

I'm not a Mark Millar guy, haven't read Avs X and it doesn't sound like I should, either!

Fear Itself is still lingering, what an awful shitshow that was.

If you like drek, A vs X is for you.

You know, I haven't been a Millar guy much either, but the stuff he's been doing over at Image has been quite good.

Currently reading through the Annihilation trades, they include the Drax, Silver Surfer, Ronan & Nova minis set in and around same time along with the....crossover ?...itself. Just got to the actual event - quite liked the Nova, Ronan & SS minis, Drax was alright in places but I'm not one for mouthy teen sidekicks so...!

Those are really good books. Marvel at its cosmic best. The title get even better under Abnett. It leads to the launch of the on-going Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy series, which were some of Marvel's best books of the 2000s.

I think the GOG relaunch was off the back of the Starlord mini in "More Annihilation" rather than the original series?

Cracking series until they decided to keep it going after Abnett's (glorious) ending, though.

Let's see....Starlord was written by Giffen though....Nope, checking online, it says that Starlord was part of the sequel series (A: Conquest), which was written by Abnett, so I guess that makes sense.

I was positive the original "More Annihilation!" Starlord series was Giffen and Abnett did one of the others (Quasar, maybe?), but I'd have to find my copies of the comics to check.

(Actually, if Abnett did do Quasar, that's a bit depressing as that one was crap: even worse than the series about the well goth Kree which at least had some nice Kyle Hotz art going for it...)

The female Quasar book was by Christos Gage.

I believe Abnett solely wrote the Annihilation: Conquest series proper, and didn't write any of the other minis.