Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Jeff Lemire is teasing a project he'll be writing/drawing with Marvel this August. (Didn't he decide to quit working for Big Two to focus on his creator-owned stuff not too long ago?)

Bleeding Cool posted similar teases revealing Joe Hill/Mike Allred and JMS (didn't he retire from comics?)/Ed McGuinness on other unrevealed August 2019 Marvel titles.

EDIT: according to another BC article, these creatives and more are part of an anthology called Marvel Comics #1000 (totally not trying to ape Action and Detective 1000 here!) to celebrate Marvel's 80th anniversary.

Wonder if this is meant to be Marvel's next smash hit announcement that Marvel EIC CB Cebulski was teasing on his twitter, and if Akira Yoshida-san will be contributing a story?

Mark Waid with John Cassady  and the return to Marvel of Erik Larsen also received teasers in this week's Marvel Comics issues for this same project.

So it's been confirmed that this project is an 80-page anthology where every creative team attached contributes one page of story...

https://www.newsarama.com/45127-marvel-comics-1000-revisits-80-years-of-marvel-history.html

Well, if this is CB Cebulski-sama's plan to create the next Marvel comic to sell one million, I'm gonna have to doubt it.

Though given that the overarching story in Marvel Comics #1000 is overseen by Al Ewing, maybe some of it might not totally be a waste of trees?

Those stories usually don't end up being conducive to creativity. Marvel tried it with their Christmas special last year, and that ended up something of a mess.

I'm disappointed this is Marvel's big 80th anniversary celebration book.

So, each page is meant to showcase one year in the history of the publication of Marvel Comics.

They won't rest until every issue of X-Men is a relaunch...

Yeah, no. It hasn't even been a year since the last relaunch. They did that weekly Uncanny X-Men relaunch, which lead in to the Age of X-Man, and the current Matthew Rosenberg run on Uncanny X-Men.

I don't think too many people will miss the current direction of the X-titles though, as we're back to the "no more mutants" direction right now, which is a deadend plot.

I'm excited for Hickman to take over on X-Men though. I'm hoping his run will be closer to what Grant Morrison was doing on the title.

Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz will be teaming up for one last New Mutants story, this September, as part of Marvel's 80th anniversary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Aaron's very long run on Thor will be coming to an end starting in September, when the Thor comic becomes King Thor.

I got bored with all the "the War of the Realms is coming.....eventually....it really is coming" time-wasting in Aaron's Thor towards the end of the "female Thor" arc, so I gave up on Aaron's Thor, but it's quite a remarkable feat that someone stayed on the Thor comic for that amount of time.

It's also nice to be able to recommend a Thor comic post-1980s. "You want to read Thor? Well, there's the classic Walt Simonson run. You want to read something from after that point? Well, no. I wouldn't do that, if I were you." Now, you can recommend years and years of Jason Aaron issues.

As mentioned elsewhere I've been reading Grant Morrison's X-Men run and finding it pretty good but Riot At Xavier's was the first arc that I really, really enjoyed  Morrison's take on Beast is a lot of fun too though I'm not 100% sure that he didn't intend for him to be gay only to have to maybe roll it back ?  Regardless, Scott getting annoyed at his pretending for the LOLs was great. 

Jean 'walking in' on Scott and Emma was most amusing.

It's the new characters that impressed me most about Morrison's run, John, and they're all foregrounded in that story. I'm rather annoyed that nobody else seems to have done anything further with Barnell...

Yep indeedy.

It did cross my mind when I was reading through Morrison's run that an X Men comic along the lines of the Legion Of Substitute Heroes at DC would be fun. The whole thing with the remedial class of ugly mutants with crap powers who aren't wanted on campus while the media's there was pretty much a template for that. It's a terrible shame nothing further has been done with that notion since.

This was somewhat done in the Wolverine and the X-Men title, written by Jason Aaron.

It took place after the splintering of mutants between Cyclops and Wolverine. Cyclops believed that mutants should separate themselves from humanity and start their own nation, because humanity would never accept them. Wolverine disagreed, and believed in following Professor X's dream. So, Wolverine took over the Xavier School as head-master.

So, most of the students from Morrison's run were featured in that book.

It was a pretty fun series.

I want to get that and his run on Wolverine. I dig his stuff

Yeah, I'd recommend both.

Some people didn't like his Wolverine and the X-Men run, because it was too weird or goofy. It wasn't the traditional X-Men read. Since you're not a big fan of the X-Men, though Lou, I think you'd be fine with it. I think some people didn't like it, because it was a departure from the "too serious" tone of so many X-Men stories. I found it crazy and fun.

His run on Wolverine was one of the definitive works on that character. It was great. Probably only those first few original solo Wolverine comics written by Claremont can compare to Aaron's work on Wolverine.

Not that there have been a huge amount of quality Wolverine solo comics over the years....

What the fuck, man, the first trade is going for stupid money!

Marvel must have allowed them to go out of print. I'm sure that, if you wait, Marvel will republish them at some point. Marvel has been good about keeping most of their back catalogue in print, of late. They just like to do multiple printings of each Trade, so some of them are out of print in between when Marvel gets around to deciding to publish a new edition.

Yeah the waiting game it is. All of the other trades are reasonable. There was an omnibus too at one point.

Yeah, I just looked up the omnibus on Amazon. It was originally $100, but is currently out-of-print, and is now going for over $300.

Marvel's been putting out new big trades for some of Aaron's other runs like Thor and Ghost Rider, and now that Disney has all of Marvel's movie rights under one roof again, I wouldn't be too surprised if they get around to his X-Men works as well.

(if you don't mind the risk of purchasing used copies online, they still seem to be available at cheap prices on Amazon)

Plus, there's another X-Men relaunch at the end of this month, so Marvel will probably start putting out a lot of out-of-print X-books to try to cash in on the Hickman buzz.

On 7/3/2019 at 5:27 PM, Lou K said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK A BUNCH OF THAT

Would this be a bad time to mention that I've just got hold of a British reprint of 1-7 off the UK ebay site for six quid? Okay it's an ex libris copy, but that means it came with a plastic cover, which makes up for the stamps and missing flyleaf somewhat.

You might be better off looking on abebooks for copies outside of the 'States if the Panini edition is going for less than the Marvel one, Lou. This could be one of those cases where dropping a fiver on international shipping is going to be a lot cheaper than paying for a copy in the same country if they're going for daft money there.

Nice score! I think I will just wait. It's not like I don't have other shit to read in the meantime. Plus there will be another X - plosion (see what I did there) and these will be rereleased