Christian

Marvel's One World Order

Thanks, and you're right. There's no rush (there never is to buy comics, whatever nonsense Wizard used to come out with), and there's no way in Hell a comic called "Wolverine and The X-Men" is going to stay out of print for very long, is there?

BTW: it's very akin to Generation X, back when that was any good. I wonder if that's why Aaron wanted Chris bachalo on the art?

So the Giant-Sized X-Statix turned out to be excellent. Milligan as sharp and fresh and funny as ever- didn't miss a beat since the last X-Statix. Mike Allred took his art to a whole new level for this book, his expressions subtely refined, the detail and love in every panel, more that necessery but not too much. Laura Allred colors pop and glow in the right places, can be muted and quieter in others. Wow. And that last page.. X-cellent!

House of X #1-Whoa! I did not expect that. This is definitely something different for the X-Men.

Although, I will say that I got hints of Hickman's direction on the Ultimates book.

I was hoping to see Hickman move more in the science fictional direction of Grant Morrison. Well, Hickman went completely in the direction of science fiction. There is not even a hint of a superhero comic within Hickman's direction for the X-Men.

That sounds promising, might give it a try!  I enjoyed some of his early Image work but more for his art than the writing!  His Avengers was good, read it in collected form after he was all done - the scope was fucking crazy. 

Read it over lunch, felt like a pretty fresh start to me, didn't recognise any of the

Orchis Protocol

people but one of the info-chart pages broke that down enough for me.

Big spoilers for the issue -

It seems clear that

that's not Xavier and they're not the real X-Men at the start, right ?  The Cyclops/FF scene was cool and the Omega Level chart showing that all us humans have is Franklin added a little more context to Scott's message for him.

Didn't grab me enough to want to read it monthly, am curious about
No-Place
though.

Lou-So far, it seems like this is a pretty clear break away from just about everything that has come before with the X-Men. So, I would say you could pick it up without needing to have any knowledge of what's been going on with the X-books.

John-You aren't really meant to recognize any of the Orchis Protocol members, outside of the groups that they represent. Almost all of them seem to be new characters, at this point.

I don't think the Orchis Protocol needs to be in spoilers, because I don't think anyone would recognize that as meaning anything.

I'm hoping that Hickman is going in a different direction than he seems to be going based on the opening scene. The status quo of mutants needs to be shaken up in this sort of way, and not just be revealed as some super-villain plot. However, I also can't see this as being the new direction for the X-Men in the Marvel Universe either. We'll just have to wait and see.

It was a very promising start for the Hickman run.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, Lou K said:

I have no idea what that even is hahaha

C3P0's girlfriend, I think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave said:

I thought C3PO was a confirmed batchelor 

It's been suggested that this Ochis Protocol droid might have been a beard, I believe...

• Like 2

Powers of X #2-This was the weakest issue of House of X/Powers of X so far. Not much happened.

Although, it would be hard to top the mind-expanding trip that was House of X #2, regardless.

A lot of pages were wasted with Hickman's charts explaining his interpretation of Kardashev's scale.

On the plus side, Morrison will either be delighted or upset to know that someone else is using Sitchin's Nibiru in a comic (well, the name anyway, as no Annunaki have showed up, so far). I thought it was pretty clever though, because Nibiru has also been referred to as "Planet X".

Mike Carey is going to be writing a Fantastic Four comic (one-shot? mini-series? Not sure) featuring the Negative Zone.

Carey did a really good job on Ultimate Fantastic Four, so hopefully, he'll do something similar with this FF comic.

Marvel Comics #1000-I thought this was a lot of fun.

I'm sure some people will be disappointed by it, especially due to the cost, but I didn't expect much else.

It really mainly served as a preview for the "big event" coming next year from Marvel, which (on the plus side) is going to be written by Al Ewing. Not what most people were expecting, I'm sure.

We got a teaser about the continuation of Miracleman, by Neil Gaiman, which I'm sure will never be followed up on, once again.

I thought the best story was the Howard the Duck strip. It really made me feel like Steve Gerber was writing another Howard short story. The writers did a good job paying homage to Gerber.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:28 AM, Maritimus said:

So the Giant-Sized X-Statix turned out to be excellent. Milligan as sharp and fresh and funny as ever- didn't miss a beat since the last X-Statix. Mike Allred took his art to a whole new level for this book, his expressions subtely refined, the detail and love in every panel, more that necessery but not too much. Laura Allred colors pop and glow in the right places, can be muted and quieter in others. Wow. And that last page.. X-cellent!

Yeah. It reminded me of how f*cking great X-Statix was. I wouldn't have known the Giant-Sized book existed if you hadn't mentioned it in this thread a couple of pages ago, so thank you.

Remember how pumped we were on here when the writer of X-Force and X-Statix was tipped to take over Hellblazer?

Oh geez. Marvel is really flooding the market with X-books with the "Dawn of X" relaunch.

There are six comics being launched after House of X/Powers of X ends. When Marvel stated that there was a first wave of titles planned for October, I thought they meant that they weren't going to launch all six books immediately, but spread it out over a few months.

Oh no. The six books are just the "first wave" of new X-titles coming out. There is a "wave two" and "wave three" planned to follow shortly thereafter.

Marvel might end up publishing more X-books than at any time in their history.

Yeah, this isn't going to end badly.

On Sunday, September 01, 2019 at 4:46 AM, JasonT said:

Yeah. It reminded me of how f*cking great X-Statix was. I wouldn't have known the Giant-Sized book existed if you hadn't mentioned it in this thread a couple of pages ago, so thank you.

Remember how pumped we were on here when the writer of X-Force and X-Statix was tipped to take over Hellblazer?

Now you will be reminded once again when X-Cellent comes out! I saw some of Allred's designs for new characters a few months ago - and just the names cracked me up - The Stork! I was sad and a bit puzzled why The Stork didn't make it to the Giant Sized X-Statix - but then i understood. He needed a whole new series. I am very excited :)

I actually got the news from Milligan himself when he visited NY for a store signing - he is very nice. Too bad i had to go before the drinks were out - i only got to chat a few minutes and have him sign and draw Doop on my X-Statix omnibus. I probably wouldn't have asked about Hellblazer though.. I wonder if he knows it was pretty bad. At least he bounced back. The Names was great. Terminal Hero had some great classic stuff in it before it got cut short. Britannia is pretty enjoyable. And there's that twisted The Prisoner which i have to get back to. I hope he can recapture more of that X-Statix magic - and he has Michael and Laura Allred for the ride. And The Stork.

• Upvote 1

House of X #5-Yeah, I've begun to lost hope/interest in this series now.

Hickman is doing something different with the X-Men, sure. However, I don't think this direction seems to be very interesting anymore.

It seems more "smoke and mirrors" to make the reader think that something major is going on, when in reality, it's starting to look like something of a complete mess.

I've begin to question if Hickman really even has any big ideas for this book (along the lines of his Fantastic Four or Avengers), or if it is all just illusion, and is instead a series made up of uninspired writing, needless ret-cons, and poor characterization.

Will Hickman really address most of the questions he's been dropping throughout this entire series so far? I seriously have my doubts, with only three issues left, and Hickman seeming to have little interest in answering these concerns.

I'll keep following House of X/Powers of X until the ending, but I no longer feel the excitement for the future of the X-titles I did back around House of X #2 (the last truly inspired and mind-bending issue for the series). It might be time to drop the X-books again after the (next) coming relaunch.