Christian

Marvel's One World Order

19 hours ago, Christian said:

Jason Aaron is leaving Conan with issue #12. To be replaced by Jim Zub. There goes the Conan neighbourhood.

I wonder if Aaron is planning to leave Marvel soon. Avengers will be his only book left at Marvel.

I thought I read somewhere he planned for 12 issues.

Maybe he'll finish Southern Bastards?

Dunno if anybody on here looks at any of the advance order listings, but apparently the latest Guardians of the Galaxy relaunch is going to be scripted by Al "Fuck off, Pak: this is the Totally Awesome Hulk" Ewing.

Might be worth a look if it's as good as the other...

Yeah, I'll have to check it out, considering that Immortal Hulk is one of the few comics being published currently that is actually worth reading every month.

He even managed to do something interesting with the Inhumans, something that every other writer Marvel tried completely failed during their "Inhumans can be just as popular as mutants" idiocy.

If Aaron leaves Marvel, Ewing will be pretty much the only quality writer Marvel has left.

Incoming #1-Wow! Another Marvel preview comic that they are charging $10 for, and then Marvel wonders why they keep losing readers.

It wasn't bad enough that Marvel turned their 80th anniversary comic in to an overpriced preview for their upcoming cross-over event, now Marvel decided it was needed to publish another overpriced preview comic for their upcoming cross-over event.

The comic was such a come on, with that cover, ripping off DC's recent "murder mystery" event, which I guess did sell quite well.

If you guessed that no one of importance died, you would be correct.

I won't spoil who was murdered, but I'll just say that half of the readers said, "So what?" while the other half said, "Who is that character?".

X-Men #4-Now, that is more like it! A superb issue. This is what I expected from Hickman's "Dawn of X".

A nice callback to Chris Claremont's "God Loves, Man Kills" story, with the portrayal of Magneto.

Also, a quote from one of my favourite books, Aldous Huxley's The Island.

"Arsenals, universal debt, planned obsolescence. This is what makes up Western civilization."

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 (by Al Ewing)-I'm not sure what to think about this book. It doesn't really compare with the Immortal Hulk, but then again, Immortal Hulk did have something of a slow start. There were things I liked about the book, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to decide to buy more issues.

Ewing did the best work with (Morrison's) Marvel Boy in this issue. That was the highlight of the book for me. There was even a nice nod to Grant Morrison with Marvel Boy's line of "No gods. No masters." Morrison is an anarchist, I mean.

It was nice to see Moondragon again, as I've always liked the character since I first saw her in the Defenders comic.

Ewing did a nice job on some of the characterization, like with Star Lord and Rocket Raccoon.

There wasn't much given for the plot. It didn't really feel like Dan Abnett's Guardians.

I might give it one more issue.

X-Men #5-Hickman revisits one of the cool ideas from the Mike Carey run. Any reference of Carey's outstanding work on X-Men is always welcome. It certainly fits well with the theme of Hickman's direction, and the Carey run was one of the few stand-out runs from the history of Uncanny X-Men and X-Men (so far, only the original Claremont and Morrison runs top the Carey years for me).

This "Dawn of X" relaunch is certainly growing on me though. Sure, there are some weak series and misfires (Fallen Angels was shit, and I found Excalibur nearly unreadable) on the peripheries. However, the main aspects of this new status quo are definitely winning me over. Hopefully, Hickman is moving somewhere of interest with the mutants out of all of the hints and mysteries.

There's a rumour that Hickman got Mike Carey as the writer for the upcoming Moira MacTaggert on-going series.

Hickman has spoken about how much he enjoyed Carey's X-Men run, and Carey recently posted a message that he'd be open to writing more X-Men stories, if the chance arose.

The writer is still a mystery, although Hickman stated that he got the writer he wanted to commit.

Carey's run on X-Men was heavily focused on continuity, and that will be necessary for the Moira X series.

This will be a very important book in the "Dawn of X" line-up, as everyone who read House/Powers will be well aware.

For those Mike Carey completests who skipped Hickman's X-Men work, you're going to be very disappointed, as I highly doubt that you'll be able to read Moira X without first reading what Hickman has written.

Then again, this is a rumour, and maybe Carey isn't the writer.

Other names mentioned include Kieron Gillen (who apparently tweeted Hickman that he's enjoying his X-Men work) or Warren Ellis.

However, the main conjecture seems to be that it's going to be Carey.

At this point, Hickman better not disappoint with his teasing. It better be a quality writer.

The second issue of the new GOG is no better than the first.

It's probably hampered by the tie in with latest bullshit crossover, but Abnett and Lanning handled two or three of those without breaking stride.

Al Ewing is the main writer for the upcoming cross-over. It ties directly in to stories he has been writing, so if any book shouldn't be hurt the cross-over, it is GotG.