Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Constantine: The Hellblazer #2

Your Rating  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which Series Does This Comic Most Remind You?

• 1-Jamie Delano's Hellblazer
    • 3-Rick Veitch's Swamp Thing
    • 5-Totems

#2-Eh, it was ok. Not as good as the last issue. Still better than the "New 52" series.

The writing is beginning to bug me a bit now. One issue was fine, since it was an introduction to the character. This time, I get the feeling like the author read Jamie Delano's run and really liked it, or wants to write in that style, but doesn't have the talent of Delano. So, instead of some nice flowery, existential prose, ala Delano, we get a lot of pointless exposition of scenes with very little substance.

This story reminded me of one of the Rick Veitch Swamp Thing issues. The one where we took a tour of the city with John Constantine, showing the readers how Constantine is able to "always be in the right place, at the right time".

The series is starting to feel (and look) a bit cartoony now. This issue wasn't as absurdist at the first, so the art didn't add to the story in the same way.

The flaws are becoming more apparent at this point.

The book needs some sort of hook if it's going to last. I get the feeling this is a nostalgia series, for everyone who fondly remembers Hellblazer, only a watered-down version of it, without as much substance. It needs something to stand on its own.

I give it a middle of the road rating.

i'm pretty sure my local comic shop will never have this in there at this point, but from the sounds of it... maybe i'm not missing much ?

idunno, as long as it replaces the hole left in my heart after the cancellation of hellblazer and the constantine tv series.

I found it more satisfying than the previous issue because it was part of a story, rather than a character piece with smatterings of story. The monologue was something of a throwback, but I think it was more hardnosed noir than Delano flowerings and I don't have a problem with that.

I find Rossmo's best contribution to be the hell denizens in the preview and this issue. Those "thin places" that Constantine walked past were pretty.

His work reminds me a little of Dean Ormston's on Lucifer.

I am going out on a limb to say that John's promise to the ghosts that couldn't really die "again" means Gaz will be back. Otherwise, killing him here was daft.

At the point when the story should have been a pathos-driven ending, we got "Heckblazer". Idiots.

So it appears we have the Austin Powers generation of John Constantine. If you will, the Jon Pertwee to Delano's Tom Baker and Carey's Peter Capaldi. (And yes, you pesky kids, Milligan's [ Spoiler : Sylveste McCoy ].)

Ha ha hah ! You thought I was going to say [ Spoiler : David Tennant ] !

• Upvote 1

I found it more satisfying than the previous issue because it was part of a story, rather than a character piece with smatterings of story. The monologue was something of a throwback, but I think it was more hardnosed noir than Delano flowerings and I don't have a problem with that.

I find Rossmo's best contribution to be the hell denizens in the preview and this issue. Those "thin places" that Constantine walked past were pretty.

His work reminds me a little of Dean Ormston's on Lucifer.

I am going out on a limb to say that John's promise to the ghosts that couldn't really die "again" means Gaz will be back. Otherwise, killing him here was daft.

At the point when the story should have been a pathos-driven ending, we got "Heckblazer". Idiots.

So it appears we have the Austin Powers generation of John Constantine. If you will, the Jon Pertwee to Delano's Tom Baker and Carey's Peter Capaldi. (And yes, you pesky kids, Milligan's [ Spoiler : Sylveste McCoy ].)

Ha ha hah ! You thought I was going to say [ Spoiler : David Tennant ] !

Nah, son. Mina was McCoy. Milligan is....*cue Dr. EVIL close up and pinky* [ Spoiler : John Hurt!! ]

That's right. I went there

I liked this issue just fine. If i squint i can hust make out proper Hellblazer Constantine. I enjoyed that i actually had to read the comic,and it took some time to get through. John's wandering felt familiar to me. The art is fine, its going to take a little while before I get used to a young Johnny. That pants/boots combo is still shit though.

• Upvote 1

The art's a little rough to get through for this one. Can never get use to it because of the cartoony style. In fact, I'm glad they didn't say this was a continuation of Hellblazer, because this is not that much like it to me. Hellblazer seemed more for adults, while this one is more or less kid friendly by comparison. I can feel some deep vibes coming from the story though, but not as deep as hellblazer. I hate that I'm comparing them since I want to look at this in its own right, but carrying the Hellblazer name does that to me.

P.S. and yes, the boots need to go.

I for one love the art. Rossmo's a boss to me.

But overall... I'm still not too sure what to think about this issue. I felt there was a lot of setup for things, I'm just hoping this walk around was more so setting up plots and characters down the line or else a lot of it is going to be a meandering waste of time. I liked that it took me a while to get through but I'm wondering how much of it was in fact filler or set up for more of the story as the arc goes on.

• Upvote 1

Not an imaginary story!

Not a hoax!

It's too early to say, and 2.5 issues are better than the start of Constantine by a country mile, but I get a distinct taste of too-much-style and not-enough-substance so far. Admittedly the second issue was an improvement in taking the story forward, but in Hellblazer days we would have had more horror from the vignettes of people and souls in the thin places, and less exposition.

I liked the voice on 1st reading, but at least one reader has mentioned an over-use of americanisms.

I do like the art, which is a big success since I never bought into Camuncoli's attempt to do the cartoony guignol,

and hope the incoming story's jokey trailer and new artist do not jar too much.

PS, I suggest we treat Constantine's legs like the bottom part of the internet, and ignore them from now on.

truth?

constantine was better

If you meant the New52 cack then I say BLASPHEMY

In reference to that, I mean the flow of the story was better.More happened per issue,the story tied together better.I still honestly believe that if the tv show was based off the new52 take on Constantine it would have done better.

BUT THIS WAS UP UNTIL A CERTAIN POINT.

every crossover in new 52 verse was shit,that forever evil blight thing was shite,alll of that extra was shite,Justice leauge dark after Shade the Changing Man left was shit('bout halfway throu).I honestly thought that project thaumaton was useless (and Nick Necro dropped the ball quite a few times.I still say if he was written as a anti-hero vs a villain,it probably would've worked.Worse villain ever).

But my point is that Consantine established itself faster and had better story flow.I was able to easily to decide whether I wanted to continue or not pretty early on.And I was able to decide which issues to outright trash.And there were a few of those.

I still think the cartoonish look to this series is a bit off-putting.I'm saying,if it was an animated series,then YES.But as a comic...not so much.It worked in the first issue becasue it was mostly surreal creepy stuff,but I can't take this serious in any way shape or form.If it was a comedy (which this issue is kinda funny)though SPOILERS,I don't like what happened to Gaz ,already! Too soon.But Oliver apparantly is here to stay so YES. Constantine'll be getting a boyfriend that's NOT a creep (Stanley+Nick.Jesus,his choice in men in the past was just abyssmal).

Well, comparing a series that's 2 issues strong, with one issue starting a story-arc, versus a series that lasted 25 issues is sort of hard.

If we're comparing the first two issues of Constantine vs. the first two issues of this book...then, this book wins by many miles.

The first two issues of Constantine were two of the worst John Constantine stories, in my view.

All that Cold Flame crap, which never went anywhere, got introduced.

I already like this version of John better than the New 52 version though. The New 52 version I never felt actually had an established character. I couldn't really care about him. The changes to his background were just horrible ideas also.

I guess there had to be someone who really liked the New 52 book.

As i have clearly documented in a legally binding manner, Constantine had become a much better book for its last ten months or so.

Even with a crossover.

To be honest I liked that John and the earth 2 one more than this one so far.

But I think that's not unrelated to the lack of pathos the new writers have delivered.

I was enjoying it until it didn't really do anything. Yeah, it's setting up the next issue, but there's nothing in here that couldn't have been done in one or two pages. A lot of it felt like an exercise so the writers could figure out how their universe worked. In terms of actually doing something with that universe, there's hardly anything there.

I really like the artwork, though. It's not the Hellblazer grunge I want, but it's visually great for what it is.

Also, it could've done with a rewrite. There were some grammatical quibbles and amateurish cliches that made it feel a bit high school-y ('get to the bottom of this' should not make it past a first draft). A few parts were written very well, so I know they can do it.

Still, I'm on board for the next one.

Well, comparing a series that's 2 issues strong, with one issue starting a story-arc, versus a series that lasted 25 issues is sort of hard.

If we're comparing the first two issues of Constantine vs. the first two issues of this book...then, this book wins by many miles.

The first two issues of Constantine were two of the worst John Constantine stories, in my view.

All that Cold Flame crap, which never went anywhere, got introduced.

I already like this version of John better than the New 52 version though. The New 52 version I never felt actually had an established character. I couldn't really care about him. The changes to his background were just horrible ideas also.

I guess there had to be someone who really liked the New 52 book.

honestly,i think new52 as a whole suffered from bad writing.that constantine series could've been awesome in the right hands .and i'm mad the whole cold flame thing went nowhere! the problem was that constantine got shoved aside in favor of the greater dc verse...also yes,lack of background.more could've been done.i'm annoyed at his status as just nick and zee's ex...and more happened in the first two issues of constantine than in this...it's the bad pacing...THAT'S what it is.This story assumes that the reader has read hellblazer which is ???

i really liked that damn preview story better than this! :(

i liked it a lot. i don't know what you all are going on about.

I wasn't that sold on the first issue, but I highly enjoyed # 2. It's by far the closest to Hellblazer we've come since the switch over from Vertigo (though like Ade said, the last arc of Constantine was really, really solid with the Earth 2 stuff). I guess I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to this sort of thing, lol.

The beauty of this analogy is that Rankin has to be McGann.