Sign in to follow this  
Speedblazer

Do you guys think John is becoming well known?

Speedblazer    141

As the titles says;

ever since probably the TV show, Constantine's name has gotten a tad bit more popular then what it was before. Plus the possibility of his appearance in Arrow, along with a possible Justice League Dark movie could bring him high in the polls compared to back in the day.

So I'm just wondering how popular John Constantine can become in the coming years? Who knows, maybe he might even get his own movie if the Justice League Dark movie does well (if they ever make it) I don't see him getting the Superman stardom, but at the very least, when people mention his name, they know who he is, and are not reminded of the Keanu movie.

Christian    734

No. I don't really think he has been. The sales on Constantine were pretty bad, and the sales on the new comic aren't much better. People still really don't talk much about the Hellblazer comic, which is gone now. The TV show got axed. There was the Keanu Constantine movie from years ago, and no one seemed to know about John Constantine after that either.

I'd say things depend on the Justice League Dark movie now. If that falls through, I expect this will be as well as John Constantine is ever be popular.

seventhcircle    580

the constantine movie did the comic no favor though. firstly it was not thaaat clear that it was based on hellblazer and even if you liked the movie, the comic was so vastly different, that the effect it had was quite negligible. i think if they do ace the justice league dark movie, with johnny in the spotlight and done right, this might help. everything else is a lost cause.

dogpoet    442

He's well known in that he's a comic character who isn't Batman, Superman or an X Person which somebody who isn't a hardcore nerd might have vaguely heard of, yes.

(Or Hellboy, obvs.)

seventhcircle    580

the avenger movie cast was very well known, as well as spiderman. deadpool obviously, though he is somehow an xperson i guess. constantine is propably on the same level as the punisher, which isn't good.

Christian    734

Punisher is probably even more well known than John Constantine. Remember, Punisher had that really hot Garth Ennis run, at a time when Ennis was a very popular name in comics.

John Constantine is probably on the level of Deadman or Phantom Stranger, I'd say.

dogpoet    442

I rather like Deadman. What's the issue with him?

seventhcircle    580

the design of the characters outfit is bad, like terrible bad. he is a little whiney bitch. he does not evolve as a character. his superpower is crap, for anything that is not a recurring obscure sidekick. the backstory as a killed circus-artist is cliche and completely useless in his state now, which is a hint for bad character design, in my opinion. the thing with the spiritual guidance from some tibetian monks(?!) is unrelatable bullshit. due to him being dead and bodyless, he is basically set up to fail, as a protagonist that is.

he could have worked in like a limited story, where he finds his murder, resolves his conflicts with the material world and transcends to the afterlife. just imagine being in that state for as long as he is, anyone would go insane, which he does not because he is, for some obscure reason, a good guy. in the most obnoxious way possible.

dogpoet    442

You do know that he was introduced in a series that did stop as soon as he avenged his murder, and which was published in the late '60s before most of the tropes in his set up had been reduced to cliches, right?

dogpoet    442

Okay, have you read either of the Kelly Jones/Mike Baron minis from the '90s, then, or are you going purely on the character not coming across well in godawful shit like Justice League Dark?

Lou K    1,053

Okay, have you read either of the Kelly Jones/Mike Baron minis from the '90s, then,

I was just going to site those issues. Fantastic stuff.

Christian    734

Yeah, Deadman has had some really good stories. You should try to track down those original Deadman stories from Strange Adventures. Great Neal Adams art. Arnold Drake wrote the original few stories, and I think Denny O'Neil wrote some of them. They were all reprinted in the 1980s.

Plus, the Baron/Jones series.

His horrible costume is explained by his origin, that he was an acrobat in the circus at the time of his murder.

seventhcircle    580

Okay, have you read either of the Kelly Jones/Mike Baron minis from the '90s, then, or are you going purely on the character not coming across well in godawful shit like Justice League Dark?

i have read some stuff as a kid in the nineties, doesn't mean the publication date in the us was even at that time. god knows what comics i saw him in, propably batman? i hated the character always, but ye if you say this shit is good, i will take a sniff.

dogpoet    442

Fair enough.

It sounds like those could have been reprints of old The Brave and the Bold stories or something.

I was just checking you weren't dismissing him purely on JLD as pretty much every character involved comes out of that looking pretty crap, to be honest...

Christian    734

Deadman did show up in the Moench/Jones run on Batman during the 1990s. If they were actually new comics from the '90s, it could have been those. Granted, I really enjoyed the Moench/Jones run on Batman.

dogpoet    442

Right. The only Moench/Jones Batmans I've read are the out of continuity stuff, to be honest. Some of the shite Moench had a hand in when he was writing Batman on the regular have put me off digging too deep, frankly.

seventhcircle    580

i honestly don't know. its hard to tell, i would like to look it up, but at some point in history my dad threw out all the stuff i owned, that was at his place, without any warning. which was almost all materialistic childhood memories, pre teenage years.

Christian    734

Yeah, I'm pretty hesitant about Moench, as well. He's written some really good comics, and he's written some of the worst comics I've ever come across. His time working with Jones on Batman is well worth the time though. It's some of the best Batman work (not Grant, Engelhart, O'Neil, or Brubaker level, but just a level down), and surprisingly good for Moench on Batman.

dogpoet    442

Right, I'll have to look at those, then. Thanks for the tip.

Christian    734

This shows how well known John is becoming. Even on a web-site devoted to him, we'd rather discuss Deadman and Batman!

• Upvote 1

eh. i've got like..... 2 friends who're fans of him, one of which is more of a friend of a friend than anything, and anyone else i mention him to only know of the movie ( though they all seemed to enjoy that one ) , then i have to explain to them why that john constantine wasn't really... ya know , john constantine.