5 members have voted

1. 1. Level of Enjoyment-

• 10-Delano
    • 8-Carey
    • 6-Diggle
    • 4-Azzarello
    • 2-Milligan

Christian    734

The editors were really enamoured with this "Heckblazer" idea, whereas, the creators were not. Once again, our fears were groundless. The synopsis was written to mess with long-time Hellblazer fans again, that's the only way I can explain these strange inconsistencies.

The writing is improving. The incubus has another overly-wordy monologue, but otherwise, there weren't any glaring problems.

I enjoyed the art change. I miss Rossmo's interpretation of John, but the art worked very well with the story.

John looked much older.

On the positive, this issue read the closest to Hellblazer since issue #250.

On the negative, I can't say the actual plot impressed me. It didn't feel to me like much happened, and the ongoing plot thread barely moved.

It was an ok issue. Writing is improving. But, I don't have any feel for a direction for this series yet.

Yes, the lowest vote on the poll is a 2.

Dave    265

So the impetus for Newcastle is to form a demon rock band,is it?

I agree with most of what Christian has said. I didn't like the art as much. A little sketchy in places.

Demon Chas08    295

The art from Del Ray puts this issue at a Diggle than a Azzarello for me. I do concur with Christian about the writing having now read the previous two issues this week in concurrence with the latest one.

This issue renewed my faith.I was ready to give up after issue #2,but I'm glad I stuck it through.

First off ,art shift THANK YOU.Both art styles worked better than the last 2 issues.Especially with the later parts,it looks and feels kinda Hellblazer-ish. I really liked that much and the tone.

Second,Gorgiana was badass ! And she did NOT need John Constantine.Period.Love how she could handle her own.Plus...she ain't anglo saxon (no offense to you guyz,but ,'y'know so that counts for something.)Also liked how Georgie kinda didn't trust John much anyway.And yes,I like her not taking his shit.

And then John turned into the sad desperate creature we all know and love...

It was good,all and all,but meh....some interesting things introduced,but this Johnny's more of a piece of shit in how everything went down.I mean in hellbazer,it was John trynna save the day and fucking up...(should've kept Newcastle) ,hell even in Constantine (nu52) John was deceived into getting into fucking up.But this asshole...

still think injustice Constantine was better than this one.

Just one request.

Bring out Zatanna.I want her .

no...actually 2...

I want Georgie to be a regular.Period.And don't kill her next issue.Please.

A. Heathen    1,125

A little underwhelmed. There's still something about the dialogue of others that's undermining the stories.

That said, I liked that this was much less of a jokey thing.

And yeah, the "HeckBlazer" gag works. Well done, DC solicitation writer, well done.

That subtle updating of Constantine & Gaz's early musical exploits worked well.

And Georgina was a good idea who deserved better dialogue.

I like the art styles. I was thinking Ming Doyle's reminds me of someone but I cannot quite place it.

Here's something I put on the facebook in response to James W's pretty accurate rambling diatribe.

This was the 4th best Hellblazer-esque comic of the week for me.

(Maybe 2 weeks actually as I was on holiday last week.)

James has most of my sticking points, and add me to the ANTI-**** Brigade.

I find the supporting characters do exposition without much character. Sure, Georgina has some character, but she should be Emma Peel and she's Patsy Stone (oh, I mean Purdey).

I bought the Kevin Wada variant, which is a lovely cover.

I like the art styles, and have seen several people comment who it reminds them of, but I have a nagging memory of someone else.

I like the use of Manchester as a setting (as mentioned above, in name, not really in location). Cambridge is an obvious choice for a government agent, so I doubt it's a random one.

If the post-Convergence DC is aimed at youngsters (and I don't agree that CTH has any more child-friendly intent than it's predecessor) then it needs something more like Brian Wood's take on Counter X or Local, or Mignola's Hellboy but with hipsters.

I definitely would have liked more depth, but the single scene and teasing us about why John needed Georgina is a reasonable idea, but as James says, there's not enough to engage us in caring about the mystery, or Veronica. (The only reason most of us care about Gaz in the previous issue is because we know him from Hellblazer or the TV Show.

It suffered for me because I read Wolf by Ales Kot and then Phonogram immediately afterwards.

dogpoet    442

I like the art styles. I was thinking Ming Doyle's reminds me of someone but I cannot quite place it.

Guy Davis? David Lapham? I can see a bit of Chris Bachalo and traces of Becky Cloonan in there as well. (Maybe even a less '50s Futurist take on Rian Hughes, come to that...)

A. Heathen    1,125

On the magical world of Facebooks I was able to identify Christopher Mitten (so yeah, the Guy Davis thing is fair, although I discounted him because of the lack of beautiful architecture).

dogpoet    442

I was thinking more of the faces and the figurework than the backgrounds, to be honest. Now I've had a quick look for Mitten online, though, I can definitely see that one.