Sign in to follow this  
Bran the Blessed

Good Supernatural Comics recoomendations ?

I'm not much the superhero type (unless you give the writer all of the drugs like happened with Morrison) so I'm looking for recommendations on supernatural comics as a whole now I've finished Hellblazer.

I've got Swamp Thing lined up, and I've thought about Books of Magic for example. Any other recommendations ? : D

There's a nice little rag out there by Warren Ellis called Fell about an occult detective type.

There's a nice little rag out there by Warren Ellis called Fell about an occult detective type.

Hope there's none of that rationalisation nonsense like with some literally occult detectives. Carnacki's "explainable" yarns were very tedious.

(Btw ever read anything from Hodgson ? Have to get back to reading The Night Land myself, the language is a bit of an issue but otherwise the man was a very dark genious. Apart from those few Carnacki the Ghost Finder stories. Still have to read the actual genuine ones myself)

Never read Carncaki or Hodgson.

Been a while since I read Fell but I recall his attitude being like, "Yup, shit's fucked up."

Been a while since I read Fell but I recall his attitude being like, "Yup, shit's fucked up."

No, Carnacki the Ghost Finder was written by William Hope Hogson. XD

Well, as a lighter reading (The Night Land, though it has some amazing imagery from what I read, is very long, and relies on an extremely outdated accent and repetition from the narrator) I'd suggest you look up either House on the Borderland, or give his short story "The Voice in the Night" a read.

http://gaslight.mtro...ca/voicenig.htm

I'm only saying this because this man could have been the second Poe had he not died during WW 1.

No, Carnacki the Ghost Finder was written by William Hope Hogson. XD

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Is it worth mentioning that there's an... inventive... comics version of The House On The Borderland with some lovely Richard Corben art, and script that seems to have calculated to piss off Hodgson purists?

As for supernatural comics recommendations, have you read Gaiman's Sandman, Carey's Lucifer, Wolfman's Tomb Of Dracula, Hewetson's Saga Of The Victims, Chaykin's Shadow, Helfer's Shadow, or Mill's Nemesis The Warlock? Depending on how much of a sticking point superheroes are, I'd suggest Moore's Promethea and Milligan's Shade as well.

• Upvote 3

Is it worth mentioning that there's an... inventive... comics version of The House On The Borderland with some lovely Richard Corben art, and script that seems to have calculated to piss off Hodgson purists?

As for supernatural comics recommendations, have you read Gaiman's Sandman, Carey's Lucifer, Wolfman's Tomb Of Dracula, Hewetson's Saga Of The Victims, Chaykin's Shadow, Helfer's Shadow, or Mill's Nemesis The Warlock? Depending on how much of a sticking point superheroes are, I'd suggest Moore's Promethea and Milligan's Shade as well.

Read most of Sandman but A Game of You was a bit unterwhelming so that's where I stopped. Had the shit spoiled out of Lucifer for me on some site where they posted a pages from all throughout it's run. Still gonna give that a go.

Not heard of the others. I am reminded I still have Hellboy stuff I've not read though.

Wanted to ask about things supposedly inspired by Hellblazer accoring to ye infallible Wikipedia, anyone have any experience with Criminal Macabre or Gravel ? The former immediately puts me off with having one of the artists be Ben Templesmith. I know he also does Fell but I'll try that anyway just....I never really read much of the stuff he did, but somehow his art style just rubs me the wrong way on a deep, subconscious level.

Did not know about the Borderland comic. Would probably not like it then : P Btw is there a point to me rambling about my vintage weird fiction obsession ? I mean is there anyone here who'd respond to a thread like that ? XD

I read a lot of Gravel. The first two series were rather good but then it goes downhill pretty quickly. The monthly was good for a while but ended with Warren Ellis forgetting how to write.

Basically he is a combat magician. Knows all the voodoo but packs a .45 so he kicks up a special type of dust.

Really liked Fell better

Btw is there a point to me rambling about my vintage weird fiction obsession ? I mean is there anyone here who'd respond to a thread like that ? XD

well, you've definitely given me some ideas of things to read that I'd not heard of before so there's that

Oh and here's a recommendation from me because why not. Not sure if I'd get anyone to look at a seperate thread so here goes.

There's a little criminally underused franchise and that is Devlin Waugh. Technically a spin off series to the Judge Dredd universe, it combines scientific magic (using sciencemagical technobabble that kinda sounds like it means something and thus makes it more believable in such a futuristic society, kind of a sucker for this very very specific thing) with the most amazingly out there non parody protagonist ever.

1512503-waugh.jpg

Devlin Waugh is more gay then the whole Blue Oyster combined, and manly enough to want to torch a motherfucker because they ruined his vintage aquarel collection. He's also an admitted sadist, and by the way, an exorcist for the Vatican. And also a vampire, as luck would have it.

And the thing I love about this series is Devlin. He does not give a shit about what anyone says, he is gonna breed his cats and put on tight pants and torch a vampires face with a blowtorch. When he became a vampire, he scoffed at the very idea that such a "trivial accident" should interfere with "forty years of excellent breeding".

Of course the world he operates in is crazy as hell, and the very first two stories, Swimming in Blood and the Herod/Sirius storyline runs the gamut from grisly yet still atmospheric horror painted in the marvelous way only Sean Phillips can paint to chasing down a mandman wanting to literally tip the world on it's side.

The only problem is, John Smith, the creator, has not touched the series since 2007. And his last story of any significance or length, Red Tide, is a poor repeat of Swimming in Blood, down to Colin MacNeil refusing to draw anyone with a normal skin colour cause purple is an appropriate skin colour after dark apparently. But even in a story that's not good Devlin shines through. Really wish John Smith would either do more with him or let others take over as just the things he set up in Chasing Herod would make up for four, five very exciting, utterly deranged testosterone filled stories.

• Upvote 1