Sign in to follow this  
Bran the Blessed

Classic Judge Dredd

Started looking over some of the classic Judge Dredd sagas. The Cursed Earth was a lot of fun, and was all around nuts but The Day the Law Died, well....

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yc3k235l0xaw2mr/101.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/nwyoiqtnmt1nkmj/298.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7l19anj9bwzxpnv/241.jpg

I find myself enjoying this Dredd a lot more then the episodic grimey vignettes of Ennis. And I find Walter the Robot strangely amusing.

There's many who feel that Judge Dredd scripts by anybody other than John Wagner are an inherently evil and doomed idea.

(And if you think that's hyperbole, just look at the miserable shit Mark Millar squeezed out of his buttocks during the '90s. Ennis' Dredd may seem bad, but it has nothing on that drivel...)

Gave to give some examples on the Millar then ? Not really familiar with what he did at all.

Also I shudder to think what poor Walter's fate must eventually have been. Please, don't spoil me, I'd rather not know in advance.

I remember Millar doing the post-Soviet Russian Judge Dredd story (Red Razors). That was about all the Judge Dredd material from Millar we got here in the States.

Just Wagner? What about Alan Grant? What about Pat Mills (even though he didn't write a great deal)?

I definitely like the classic Dredd, myself.

There was the one drawn by Bisley I think, the Bambi parody, anyone remember what that was called, not getting any results.

Was fascinated by that since the psycopath there (whose design contains a lot of elements I sort of want to get explained, and which make me worry a bit for the artist) is showing off what look to be his balls without censorship. It's a totally forgettable parody beyond that.

Grant is pretty much Wagner's "plus 1" for Dredd, Christian. He did do a few Dredds on his own, but most of them are co written with Wagner. Pat Mills has done some great stuff though, not least The Cursed Earth, but as you say, he did very little. (Though rumour has it, the only reason he did any at all was because Wagner initially refused to write the strip as he hated Carlos Equezzerra's character design and resented having his first couple of scripts edited...)

As well as (the shitawful) Red Razors, Millar wrote some still worse Judge Dredd scripts. This was during the period in the mid '90s when Millar was still Grant Morrison's mini me and they were writing most of 2000AD's contents between them for a year or so. The basic problem with Millar writing Dredd (shared by Morrison, who collaborated with him on a couple of allegedly epic stories) is that he obviously loathes the character, but knew that he couldn't get away with writing him as an out and out villain. Seriously, if shite like Inferno didn't make it to the 'States, you're better off.

Grant is pretty much Wagner's "plus 1" for Dredd, Christian. He did do a few Dredds on his own, but most of them are co written with Wagner. Pat Mills has done some great stuff though, not least The Cursed Earth, but as you say, he did very little. (Though rumour has it, the only reason he did any at all was because Wagner initially refused to write the strip as he hated Carlos Equezzerra's character design and resented having his first couple of scripts edited...)

As well as (the shitawful) Red Razors, Millar wrote some still worse Judge Dredd scripts. This was during the period in the mid '90s when Millar was still Grant Morrison's mini me and they were writing most of 2000AD's contents between them for a year or so. The basic problem with Millar writing Dredd (shared by Morrison, who collaborated with him on a couple of allegedly epic stories) is that he obviously loathes the character, but knew that he couldn't get away with writing him as an out and out villain. Seriously, if shite like Inferno didn't make it to the 'States, you're better off.

I remember reading Equezzerra (always read his name as Ezquerra for some reason) being rather pissed at them using someone else's artwork for the first instalment of Dredd, being the reason he created Strontium Dog. It's amusing how that wind up being published by 2000 AD. This comes from one of the Megazine's overviews of Battle and other war-themed comics from the 70's, which btw seemed like a really limiting premise, since sci-fi lets you do pretty much anything and most of the stuff Battle did seemed to be rather normal. I do love the ever loving hell out of the ending to Darkie's Mob though.

Is Inferno as bad as Crusade ? Cause I know they teamed up for that one and this person here does not like it one bit.

http://meanwhileon.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/very-worst-of-judge-dredd.html

As for Dredd, when reading these 70's stories it feels so refreshing to have him be writen as a decent human being for once. Sure he's kind of bland ish but at least he's more relatable then the Dredd of the Wagner days, where he kills Santa for flying without a permit and leaves him a mangled, bloody mess. I love the art but the ""stories" were nonexistant in those.

Got my hands on Complete Case Files 1 and 3 to read after I finish off the last few strips of 2. And I have to say The Day the Law Died was seriously the most hilarious thing I've read in a while. You can tell the creative team were having fun with this one.

The kindler-gentler Judge Dredd I always found bizarre. The huggable fascist cop just never appealed to me as much as the satirical work of Grant and Wagner. Most people liked to read Judge Dredd for its mocking of a police State, rather than because they wanted to read another story about a hero.

• Upvote 1

A lot of people feel that the big appeal of Dredd's character is that he's a straight man for all the lunacy in the city to take place around. I'd definitely go along with that.

If Crusade is the story I'm thinking of (with some very nice Mick Austin art), Inferno is even worse.

I kind of miss the humour of earlier Dredd, when he was satirising right-wing policing at the same time as having adventures. But I guess the more recent approach has texture and worldbuilding in its favour.

... Battle and other war-themed comics from the 70's, which btw seemed like a really limiting premise, since sci-fi lets you do pretty much anything and most of the stuff Battle did seemed to be rather normal. ...

You're dead to me. :smile:

I kind of miss the humour of earlier Dredd, when he was satirising right-wing policing at the same time as having adventures. But I guess the more recent approach has texture and worldbuilding in its favour.

... Battle and other war-themed comics from the 70's, which btw seemed like a really limiting premise, since sci-fi lets you do pretty much anything and most of the stuff Battle did seemed to be rather normal. ...

You're dead to me. :smile:

There's only so many times you can have people heroically fight in WW II for it to be interesting : P

How about Weird War Tales?

Not familiar.

But I meant that from the rundown of stuff Battle did in the 70's, so much of it was WW II I know I'd lose interest if I ever had any to begin with.

I liked the ending of Darkie's mob but I remember one reader in the letter column of the Megazine being really annoyed at it being reprinted in the Megazine and well, that and Harry Twenty did take up most of the issue. And speaking of, to get a bit on topic again, that issue had the second part of the "Hong Tong" story. And well, unless I'm missing something, that is the most braindead no-effort-whatsoever title/name of a location in Asia period. Not to mention what I read of the story was kinda shit. You basically had two emotionless trigger happy thugs (Dredd and Chinese Agent Guy) shooting up a bunch of no name assholes to catch an old man.

That was not Judge Dredd's most epic achievement shall we say.

I really liked Harry Twenty as a story, so if they are going to fill the Megazine with reprints, they could do much worse than that and Darkie's Mob.

If you like Equezzerra, a weird war story 2000AD did is in print, btw: have a look for Fiends Of The Eastern Front, which is pretty much a Battle type WW2 adventure story with horror elements.