Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Name That Comic!

Can anyone help me figure out what comic a certain story took place in? About a decade ago, I read a comic, I'm pretty sure it was in a DC Showcase Presents volumn (I know it was a Silver Age comic), where the plot was about the main character time traveling back to the Middle Ages. There was a great and powerful wizard dominating the local populace, because he had somehow gotten access to a lighter, long before anyone understood the concept, so they thought he had vast magical powers. Obviously, the time traveler realized that he didn't have magical powers, and went about finding a way to defeat the "magician". I can't for the life of me figure out where this story was from! I thought maybe it was Showcase Presents: World's Finest vol. 1 for some reason, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I thought the main character was a superhero, but it could have been an anthology title. It's really starting to annoy me.

Christian, if it was a cigarette lighter, it probably happened when Constantine travelled back in time in Peter Milligan's run. The reason you can't recall the comic is that none of that happened.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 2

I know there was a point in Punkin' Up The Great Outdoors where he trades Robin Hood a lighter in exchange for a tip about his status re Heaven and Hell...

Maybe Warlord or a reprint of a '60s Rip Hunter story?

I don't think Warlord ever went back in time. It was definitely more of an old-fashioned comic than the '70s style of Warlord.

Rip Hunter was one I thought of, but it doesn't seem to be in that collection either.

The thing I remember was that it was just one character time traveling. Hunter usually had a few other people on his adventures.

It's more the lighter than time travel I was thinking of, to be honest: there's a lot of the Warlord stories where modern schmutter is treated like it's magic, like all of that stuff with grimoires that are really computer operating manuals...