Sign in to follow this  
A. Heathen

dogpoet    442

If he had a log he wouldn't be shitting it: it would be somewhere else...

Dave    265

It appears to me that one of those tree ladies is gently caressing Swampy's berries.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Maybe she's wiping after he passed John and the skeleton?

Christian    734

Eh, it was ok. Just an average story.

I like the first issue of the series. I found that the best issue. This might be the second best issue, but that's not saying a lot, considering what came after issue #1.

I'm none too fond of the ending though.

Demon Chas08    295

What he said

16_16.jpg

Th only positive of the issue is seeing Swampy and John together again. The bad

*Rossmo

*Tintin Revisited look

*Oliver only exists to pander to the Tumblr babies; he's a prop that might as well fit in Milligan's run like the Ellie substitute he foisted on us: Forgettable and a waste of time. Hell, SW Manor (even as a shitty obvious Batman analogue) had something going for him.

*Midnite's new look.

*Plot still barebones

dogpoet    442

Knifeplay, sport: the chicken snake thing is obviously a phallic symbol and it looks like Oliver's a bottom.

Speedblazer    141

The more I read into this series the more this feels less like Hellblazer and more like an OOC fanfiction of Hellblazer written by a Tumblr user whose writting it based on ONLY reading issue 51 and the Azzerrllo arc with SW Manor, with a lil bit of TV series "supernatural" type spooky shit on the side.

I always remind myself that this isn't suppose to be a copy of the original gritty Hellblazer comics, but...it's still urks me at times.

dogpoet    442

Issue 51 was pretty fookin' good, if we're going there?

Christian    734

That's for damn sure! I'd love to be reading a series based solely around that type of plotting! This is more of a teen-friendly "supernatural" TV show. It tries to be far too cute and doesn't even bother adding any real horror elements to the fantasy. I'd say HB slowly moved away from real horror stories, but at least the tone stayed relatively dark, until parts of the Milligan run. Milligan had some overly-cartoony stuff that was very hard to take seriously. This series just jettisons any idea of being a horror book. I'm not even sure exactly what it's trying to be, which is a major problem. It has elements of a fantasy story mixed with elements of romance fiction, but doesn't do either particularly well. Issue #51, on the other hand, was very nice psychological horror.

Speedblazer    141

Another thing I'm slowly not feeling is Oliver.

So far he's really done nothing to make me give a damn about him. He's just...there. He has no real relevance to the plot of the story (whatever that is), most of his appearances are small and forgettable besides his first appearance, and when he does appear, he's nothing but a ploy for this hammy, unmoving romance he and John sort of have.

If they REALLY wanted to make a love interest for John in Oliver, they should have looked at Kit Ryan. She was an engaging love interest to John along with Zed, who didn't take all of John's bullshit, and made him think on not only his life, but how much of a risk it is for theirs. Here, Oliver is just that piece of meat (no pun intended) that John's not suppose to eat, but is seething for it. That's all well and good, but the least you can do is build his character more so that I can find a reason to care.

I dunno is it his physical looks that people enjoy him? Is it something I wouldn't understand since I don't see him in a sexual manner? Because honestly he's just...boring!

Christian    734

He does look a lot like Proof from another Riley Rossmo comic (a damn fine Rossmo series, so hunt it down, if you haven't already read it!).

Since Proof was a Bigfoot, I guess that satisfactorily answers your question. he he

(I'm not sure anyone actually enjoys the character of Oliver. I think people were initially excited about John having a boyfriend. Now, he's become a personalityless 'damsel in distress' stand-in for John, which is a horrible waste. Still better than Epiphany though!)

09freecon.jpg

Demon Chas08    295

The more I read into this series the more this feels less like Hellblazer and more like an OOC fanfiction of Hellblazer written by a Tumblr user whose writting it based on ONLY reading issue 51 and the Azzerrllo arc with SW Manor, with a lil bit of TV series "supernatural" type spooky shit on the side.

I always remind myself that this isn't suppose to be a copy of the original gritty Hellblazer comics, but...it's still urks me at times.

Pretty much and that's sadly the overall target audience for a comic that's dwindling in sales much like the New52 title before it.