Demon Chas08

Hello, Neron... (#9)

Demon Chas08    295

CONS_HB_9.jpg?1447701082

CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER #9

Written by MING DOYLE and JAMES TYNION IV

Art and cover by RILEY ROSSMO

On sale FEBRUARY 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

The truth behind the magical chaos that has befallen New York City comes out when the demonic power player Neron casts John Constantine down into the fires of Hell itself, where our occult investigator has no shortage of enemies—including an infernal ex the Hellblazer hoped he’d never see again…

dogpoet    442

Looking at that, it's been laid out to accommodate the cover art: there's a big neutral space up top for the logo, and space where some text below won't hide too much of the detail. The terrible thing is that seems to be an unusual approach for a comics cover at the moment, as a lot of artists seem to think that they're just drawing a pin up, but that's an image that won't be messed up to badly by a couple of logos.

Christian    734

Remember a few years back when all of Marvel's covers were just random pin-ups of the main character(s) posing? God, that was a horrible time for comic covers. You couldn't tell one issue from another.

This is a nice cover though.

The "New 52" Constantine had some really nice covers going for it, at least, after a certain period too. If you don't like reading the comics, you can collect the book for the covers!

Remember a few years back when all of Marvel's covers were just random pin-ups of the main character(s) posing? God, that was a horrible time for comic covers. You couldn't tell one issue from another.

The "New 52" Constantine had some really nice covers going for it, at least, after a certain period too. If you don't like reading the comics, you can collect the book for the covers!

That much i give credit to.constantine did have some nice covers

dogpoet    442

"No fucker's buying the comic, but we'll shift a few copies of the coffee table book of the covers when that comes out..."

Dave    265

He's really swung way the other direction as far as his sexuality goes in this incarnation hasn't he.

Christian    734

Not totally. He's still a tease. He always talks about ex-boyfriends and dating men, but we've only seen him having sexual relations with females (mostly female demons actually). So, there's a lot more talk in this version than in HB, where he rarely ever even talked. But, it's still our same ol' John. "Yeah. I'm bisexual. I just choose to solely sleep with women."

I guess the authors know that all the money is in John hooking up with that hunky guy, and is stringing the readers along, keeping us reading this boring tripe, until the big moment. ; )

The big reveal will be that he's a liar and has been pretending to be bi to hide his shameful secret....that he has a demon fetish.

Not totally. He's still a tease. He always talks about ex-boyfriends and dating men, but we've only seen him having sexual relations with females (mostly female demons actually). So, there's a lot more talk in this version than in HB, where he rarely ever even talked. But, it's still our same ol' John. "Yeah. I'm bisexual. I just choose to solely sleep with women."

I guess the authors know that all the money is in John hooking up with that hunky guy, and is stringing the readers along, keeping us reading this boring tripe, until the big moment. ; )

The big reveal will be that he's a liar and has been pretending to be bi to hide his shameful secret....that he has a demon fetish.

u mean like that guy( jerry i think?) from hellblazer?

probably true,but i don't really like this incarnation of john much more than nu52 john.i feel no sympathy for this man.no redeeming qualities thus far .just a creep who spends too much time with demons in the wrong ways .and his magic origin makes me wanna kick his teeth in. as his sexuality i won't be satisfied til i see him in oliver's arms....but then again it may kill him.

i think people are still squeamish about lgbt in the comic space (a mostly white,heterosexual,cisgender male subculture)this in america/the west. not a problem in jp cuz yaoi is an actual genre as is yuri,shonen and shojo ai.

especially with it being a bi guy...do u really wanna think about the fact he might've gave out a bj to steal a magic artifact?i think not.

Christian    734

Well, we got to see him do a hell of a lot worse with Manor in order to pull off a "con". Talk about a guy in deep denial! "I'll do whatever I have to do to this guy...but, only for the sake of conning him! Yeah, that's it. A con."

I'd rather think of him as not being a whore, who does sex acts with men solely to get something from them in return.

Well, we got to see him do a hell of a lot worse with Manor in order to pull off a "con". Talk about a guy in deep denial! "I'll do whatever I have to do to this guy...but, only for the sake of conning him! Yeah, that's it. A con."

I'd rather think of him as not being a whore, who does se acts with men solely to get something from them in return.

Gay for pay ?Guess if it helped him sleep at night...

dogpoet    442

On one level, the fact that an apparently much younger John is showing more interest in guys does sort of work, if that's the (probably considered pernicious now) attitude that in a lot of people gay sexuality is something they'll experiment with when they're younger and then grow out of. The belief that some guys develop that way has been around since bronze age Greece, and still seems a lot more popular than its corollary (that people can start off straight and lose interest in the opposite gender as they get older), which I suspect has a bit more documented evidence for it.

(Not that I'm saying it's a correct attitude, of course, but it is one that seems to be widely believed.)

Christian    734

Dog, you know that all reputable scientific evidence* shows that gayness is an abnormality which is caused by popular culture indoctrinating innocent straight minds into believing that sleeping with someone of the same sex is acceptable behaviour. This type of permissiveness is an attempt by Communists, feminists, and Islamists to destroy the family and Capitalism. Please get your facts straight before posting an ignorant comment, Dog.

*Source: "Jerry Falwell reads the Bible"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that rather than "outgrowing" or "experimenting", that it's case of people growing more responsible and wanting to reproduce. Since committing to a man isn't going to lead to the male having a child, if a person is bisexual rather than homosexual, then as they grow more responsible, they decide to concentrate on the opposite sex. A lot of people seem to want to procreate for some fuckin' reason!

Something that doesn't readily apply to our John, who was never the most responsible of fellows.

After all, it's not as if growing older affected the urges in most Roman men, who preferred having sex with adolescent males, even while they were committed to getting married and having children with women.

U know,the three way thing with john nick and zatanna kinda solved that problem..but alas john was a dick,zatanna was vulnerable and nicl necro was a psychopath...perfect for long lastin romances

Christian    734

I didn't dislike this issue. It was a better issue, although still with some problems. My biggest problem with this issue was that the comic is still over-written.

However, I did like the presentation of Hell. The fact that human souls are just used as the form of currency in Hell was a nice choice. The idea that demons aren't evil and involved in some sort of cosmic chess game for the control of humanity, that they're just greedy, and their society is set up so that they are forced to use souls in order to survive and get ahead is a novel (for DC) way to go; commenting on our own society, but also making Hell a more interesting place than the usual torture chamber for the sinful. I especially liked to see the homeless demon holding the sign which read, "Will work for souls".

Not a bad issue, I'd rate it as a 7.

dogpoet    442

However, I did like the presentation of Hell. The fact that human souls are just used as the form of currency in Hell was a nice choice. The idea that demons aren't evil and involved in some sort of cosmic chess game for the control of humanity, that they're just greedy, and their society is set up so that they are forced to use souls in order to survive and get ahead is a novel (for DC) way to go; commenting on our own society, but also making Hell a more interesting place than the usual torture chamber for the sinful.

Didn't Delano have all of that in the Demon yuppies story back in issue 3?