A. Heathen

The Hellblazer Afterbirth

Actually calling him a Hellblazer though and acting like it's a thing - just, no.

Mike Carey treated it as a thing. When John's telling the Tate club off he uses it in his list of job titles

THEREFORE this comic is good

actually I haven't read it in months because this comic is not good

Actually, no: that's the one time Carey (or anybody else) has him use the term as a description himself, and in context, it's just one of his drunken sneers while mocking the Tate club.

The only way a Hellblazer might be a thing, is if it's the name of his magical trenchcoat in the Milligan run...

The new Constantine series doesn't even really take place in the DCU, except tangentially. So, that's not the big issue. Yes, Neron is being used in the current story-arc, but he could just be any big-shot demon. Swamp Thing did appear in that one issue, but that's a Vertigo connection as much as a DC connection, plus DC just did it to hype the new Swamp Thing series that was launching. I don't read the new Constantine series and think of the DCU or have a problem with it because it's nominally set in the DCU.

Well, I don't like him in the DCU bumping up to Bats and Supes and Arrow boy.

• Upvote 1

I always really liked that in Swamp Thing and the Delano Hellblazer (and that early issue of the Sandman as well), to be honest. The notion that anything and everything might go in a fictional universe makes it a lot more fun than one where the different storylines have rigidly enforced borders.

• Upvote 1

Well, I don't like him in the DCU bumping up to Bats and Supes and Arrow boy.

Me neither. It's not like he's Frank Castle where he can balance both
  • Upvote 1

Why can't he balance both? Zatanna, Baron Winters and Swamp Thing are all part of the mainstream DCU as well.

I don't even know how well Punisher can balance both. The superheroes have to act really funny when Punisher is around. "Heroes never kill! And, this Punisher guy...he's, umm, different because....Huh."

Considering that Mark Gruenwald wrote an entire story-arc about a vigilante who kills super-villains and how Captain America must stop him and why he opposes a vigilante doing such a thing, it makes the existence of the Punisher being treated as a hero even more of an anomaly.

I think John Constantine works better with the DC's supernatural characters than Punisher works in a world of superheroes and supervillains, honestly.

The story is more important than anything to me, whether it takes place in the DCU or in its own universe.

The Delano run isn't a good example of John in the DCU though. Yes, there was some mention of superheroes towards the beginning, and Swamp Thing guest-starred, but it very much takes place in Thatcher's Britain. It's hard to reconcile Delano's realist version of England with the DCU, in my mind.

The weird crap is eruptions of the irrational into the realistic. Like a teenager's zits.

(And honestly: the passing mention of a superhero or Elemental God is more of a lapse in mimesis than Demons, ghosts and the alternate universe next door?)

Well, one is supernatural and unknown, while the other is part of that universe and natural.

There's enough room for doubt about the one to be able to have atheists, while it'd be pretty stupid if someone in the DC Universe said they didn't believe in the existence of superheroes.

I don't even know how well Punisher can balance both. The superheroes have to act really funny when Punisher is around. "Heroes never kill! And, this Punisher guy...he's, umm, different because....Huh."

Considering that Mark Gruenwald wrote an entire story-arc about a vigilante who kills super-villains and how Captain America must stop him and why he opposes a vigilante doing such a thing, it makes the existence of the Punisher being treated as a hero even more of an anomaly.

I think John Constantine works better with the DC's supernatural characters than Punisher works in a world of superheroes and supervillains, honestly.

The story is more important than anything to me, whether it takes place in the DCU or in its own universe.

The Delano run isn't a good example of John in the DCU though. Yes, there was some mention of superheroes towards the beginning, and Swamp Thing guest-starred, but it very much takes place in Thatcher's Britain. It's hard to reconcile Delano's realist version of England with the DCU, in my mind.

agreed,though the MCU is less opposed to killing.We saw in captain america the winter soldier steve flipping people of boats into the ocean,hitting people in ways that probably might severely injure or accidently kill,Black widow shooting and killing people on screen,plus they used the ultimates-inspired version of Sam wilson (falcon) who's rocks a jet pack and specializes in duel weilding machine guns.We got matt murdock fucking people up for life like droppin' folks off roofs an' shit.I dig that in the comics the punisher is kinda ??? but he fits right in (though I heard rumors of him appearing in daredeviul--punisher vs daredevil,punisher will kill you where as though daredvil doesn't really care what happens to you,though i think he avoids intentional killing only because he's a lawyer and knows the law,plus i have a sneaking suspicion he wants people to spread the word).in the mcu,they usually face villains that the only way to solve the problem is to kill the mofo-which .

i think the biggest problem with dcu is the high power levels of their supers we have regular people and then we have wonder woman and superman.If we have a johnconstantine roaming around and then we have supergirl (this is dccu) then that is the disparage there.Marvek folks are on easier scales when affiliated--though Constantine/JLD john are the strongest incarnations we've seen and in that context would make sense.guess if he was a homo magi vs human..

then again,Constantine is NOT a regular human guys.

Who remembers 'the laughing magician' arc? john constanine is actually like an inadvertent reality warper and an like some universal manifestation--the last laughing magician and his previous incarnation was lady Constantine

(on an unrelated note,i just love that he was a chick in the last life.no really)

but you get the point.power disparage makes it hard to blend the universe--though i wonder how the hell thor fitted into the mcu,but?? fine,whatever.he only uses his relevant abilities in battle--and the hulk is--just the hulk.luckily banner is NOT a villain.the mcu you would be fucked

I always really liked that in Swamp Thing

Fuck yeah. Love when Batman hit Alec with the herbicide only for Alec to grow like 5 more bodies and pummel Batman to fuck. That was fun. Holding Gotham siege was fun too. But I think ST gets more of a pass than JC for whatever reason.

Aren't there a few funny scans knocking around of nu-52 Constantine stuck in a car with Batman and - possibly - a chimp* ?

Any word on the creative team for the relaunch ?

*Not that chimp

Aren't there a few funny scans knocking around of nu-52 Constantine stuck in a car with Batman and - possibly - a chimp* ?

Any word on the creative team for the relaunch ?

*Not that chimp

happened in injustice gods among us:year 3

loves injustice and that is like the one dcu series i keep reading.also,there are some damn good elseworlds tales out there

Lou-Probably because John Constantine is supposed to be like a regular guy (at least on the surface, the working class mage stuff), while Swamp Thing is a "bog god". Also, while JC was created in the pages of Swamp Thing while it was a DCU title, Hellblazer seemed to be moving away from the DCU trappings and creating its own little universe for JC to inhabit (one based on our real world), while Swamp Thing was always thought of as just a part of the DCU, regardless of where the actual series went after Rick Veitch left the title.

Also, the fact that Swamp Thing's best years were prior to Veitch leaving the title, and no one really enjoyed the book very much after Veitch left, that might play a role too.

For this rebirth, all I ask is that they don't fuck up Constantine anymore then they already have. But I'm probably talking out of my ass though. I want them to take John back to being a human being who just happens to have a vast knowledge of the occult, can get out of dangerous situations with cheep spells, and is all about his wits and smooth talking.

Also PUT HIM IN AN ACTUAL DAMN TRENCHCOAT THIS TIME! That small jacket of a coat was getting on my nerves. I liked the TV show's trench well enough, but the one in CTH was just annoying to see.

i think the issue there is that there are a handfull of JC lovers still loyal in DC's camp,but they are following under certain rules of certain people in charge and they are trying to make a quick buck.I think a few things are necessary--# darker and grittier--y'know how batman and suicide squad are not necesarilly general audience friendly? how about that bit.The problem here is the DC comics caters to people who grew up with comic book characters and there is a certain standard.

Hellblazer wasn't part of that standard,nor was sandman.

What is going on is also that there needs to be to boost it nup to the mnodern era.Our boy John was a character of the past and sad as i am to see him go,that's kinda it.He's not of this era.

The last saving throwwould be to have a contest by fans of the series and pick a story by the winner.

Say what you will and thou will be judged-- but the Constantine comic almost hit it on the nail,the existance of g

And Now it's unpopular opinion time (yay)

-As a person of this age,I'm gonna do a rundown of shit that would've worked if it had better writers

1)the existance of Georgiana Winters and the idea that the british government was actively looking into supernatural threats (watch anime Black Butler:example of how it worked)

2)Cult of the Cold flame-could have actually been a thing

3)Anybody remember the Trencoat Brigade ?(those folks could always have been an active pressence)

4)you guys are ginna hate the shit outta me--but I still stand that Nick Necro would've been an awesome character--but more so if he wasn't a villain,but just as John's mentor/boyfirend and maybe died saving him or some shit and didn't go out like a bitch

5)which would have inexplicably tied John to Zatanna--

6)which would've swung him into the dcu

7)and because Zatanna use to go with bruce wayne--there is a chance he could've met John (and Nick/) and this would've swung JC into the ,mainstream dcu--(smart move putting him in arrow,by the way)--

8)and because batman/gotham is dark in and in itself--it would've made since for an affilated series to be dark and gritty too

9)STOP TRYNNA CENSOR IT.some seriously messed up shit happend in Hellblazer--how about some of this seriously messed up shit happen in the next constantine mess

And unpopular opinion-conversly--a series with young John Nick and Zatanna going on the road and kicking ass (like supernatural and the winchester bros.)

in hellblazer,john ran around on fucked up adventures,banished some evil shit,did some morally disturbing shit .I mean,running around and destroying supernatural threats should be a pretty easy storyline to work--why are these people making it hard? Harry dresden did it and did well,anita blake up into a certain point...Gotdamnit! Scooby doo done did it?! why is this so damn hard for them?

Maybe,they really should just let it die.We fans remember hellblazer,but hellblazer is super obscure and most people don't even know about it.hell nick necro (okay,keanu ,but i just gotta make the joke) was more well known than hellblazer for the longest.and say what you will ,but the movie was great becaus ethey got the right magic-realism type atmosphere....it's the next best thing to hellblazer in my opinion.

It pains me that our boy john went out like a nut,but the fact is we are dealing with the wrong type of people who don't know how to write the genre.hellbalzer was horror...and actually paul dini's take on zatanna was horror...really think he may be able to pull off a constantine story ,provided zatanna was around--then again,maybe not

also this may seem minute to some peope but--

i think it could benefit from an actual non-heterosexual writer to acurately portray john..no really,but that is the least of our problems now

Okay,my rant is done

All the ads for DC:Rebirth list The Hellblazer #1 as starting in July. So, #13 is probably the unlucky last number of Constantine:The Hellblazer before the next relaunch.

Lady-Kieron Gillen is known for writing sympathetic and believable gay characters. He won GLAAD awards for his comic book work. I have no idea if he's non-heterosexual, but that doesn't really matter. He's also an extremely talented writer, who has done miracles with books that seemed like they would be unreadable (like Angela at Marvel). And, he's familiar with the occult. Gillen would be our dream writer for JC at this point...but, I highly doubt he's going to be working for DC anytime soon, and I highly doubt that DC even cares to both with writers like Gillen at this point, sadly.

What is the deal with that, does anyone know? Is DC operating on the cheap now? Or, is that the editors have gotten so heavy-handed that they scare any actually talented writers away? Because, I know Marvel snatches up any Image writer that seems like they'll impress, while DC is working with a core of writers who were either names in the 1990s or who aren't names as of yet.

I liked the incarnation of Constantine on the Injustice prequel comic. He's still Hellblazer even next to Superman, and I've always liked the idea of John in a cape story.

It's why I've always favored Moore's Constantine.

• Upvote 1

I liked the incarnation of Constantine on the Injustice prequel comic. He's still Hellblazer even next to Superman, and I've always liked the idea of John in a cape story.

It's why I've always favored Moore's Constantine.

YESonly time it was right