A. Heathen

The Hellblazer Afterbirth

Last i checked DC was only looking for artists and none writers. I think they need to change that

As that was the situation back when I tried approaching them in 2002 (iirc, the guidelines for unsolicited applications were pulled shortly after I sent them a pitch), I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. They seem to prefer things that way...

:tongue:

Gillen would be our dream writer for JC at this point.

Really didn't like that first Phonogram series, he's not for me. Apparently The Wicked & The Divine is doing great so he don't need that steenking corporate comic money.

Yeah, he's probably saved up enough from his time as one of Marvel's big-name writers that he can do what he wants now. I couldn't get in to the Wicked and the Divine. The premise was pretty neat, but the execution turned me away. To be perfectly honest, I love Gillen's work at Marvel more than his creator-owned books. He had a genius for taking other people's ideas and making them better than they had any right to be, while with his own books, he seems to have good ideas but then doesn't taken them anywhere near as imaginative a direction as he should.

That's the one brilliant thing for comic creators who sign exclusive contracts with Marvel. They get big bucks. If they save their money, after the contract, they're pretty much made and can control the rest of their career doing what they want. It's smart.

The Hellblazer creative team announced at WonderCon Livestream:

Simon Oliver and Moritat.

Storyline: John and Swamp Thing team-up to rescue Abby

Also interesting news is that somehow DC managed to coax Christopher Priest out of comics retirement to write Deathstroke.

For this rebirth, all I ask is that they don't fuck up Constantine anymore then they already have. But I'm probably talking out of my ass though. I want them to take John back to being a human being who just happens to have a vast knowledge of the occult, can get out of dangerous situations with cheep spells, and is all about his wits and smooth talking.

Also PUT HIM IN AN ACTUAL DAMN TRENCHCOAT THIS TIME! That small jacket of a coat was getting on my nerves. I liked the TV show's trench well enough, but the one in CTH was just annoying to see.

That wasn't even a trench. It's just a small ass jacket that not even Rossmo's wind blowing shots can hide it despite trying to have the breeze move it like a trench coat....smh

• Upvote 1

The Hellblazer creative team announced at WonderCon Livestream:

Simon Oliver and Moritat.

Storyline: John and Swamp Thing team-up to rescue Abby

Also interesting news is that somehow DC managed to coax Christopher Priest out of comics retirement to write Deathstroke.

I'm fine with Oliver and Moritat (especially since I loved his work on the Spirit under the First Wave banner)

i think the issue there is that there are a handfull of JC lovers still loyal in DC's camp,but they are following under certain rules of certain people in charge and they are trying to make a quick buck.I think a few things are necessary--# darker and grittier--y'know how batman and suicide squad are not necesarilly general audience friendly? how about that bit.The problem here is the DC comics caters to people who grew up with comic book characters and there is a certain standard.

Hellblazer wasn't part of that standard,nor was sandman.

What is going on is also that there needs to be to boost it nup to the mnodern era.Our boy John was a character of the past and sad as i am to see him go,that's kinda it.He's not of this era.

The last saving throwwould be to have a contest by fans of the series and pick a story by the winner.

Say what you will and thou will be judged-- but the Constantine comic almost hit it on the nail,the existance of g

And Now it's unpopular opinion time (yay)

-As a person of this age,I'm gonna do a rundown of shit that would've worked if it had better writers

1)the existance of Georgiana Winters and the idea that the british government was actively looking into supernatural threats (watch anime Black Butler:example of how it worked)

2)Cult of the Cold flame-could have actually been a thing

3)Anybody remember the Trencoat Brigade ?(those folks could always have been an active pressence)

4)you guys are ginna hate the shit outta me--but I still stand that Nick Necro would've been an awesome character--but more so if he wasn't a villain,but just as John's mentor/boyfirend and maybe died saving him or some shit and didn't go out like a bitch

5)which would have inexplicably tied John to Zatanna--

6)which would've swung him into the dcu

7)and because Zatanna use to go with bruce wayne--there is a chance he could've met John (and Nick/) and this would've swung JC into the ,mainstream dcu--(smart move putting him in arrow,by the way)--

8)and because batman/gotham is dark in and in itself--it would've made since for an affilated series to be dark and gritty too

9)STOP TRYNNA CENSOR IT.some seriously messed up shit happend in Hellblazer--how about some of this seriously messed up shit happen in the next constantine mess

And unpopular opinion-conversly--a series with young John Nick and Zatanna going on the road and kicking ass (like supernatural and the winchester bros.)

in hellblazer,john ran around on fucked up adventures,banished some evil shit,did some morally disturbing shit .I mean,running around and destroying supernatural threats should be a pretty easy storyline to work--why are these people making it hard? Harry dresden did it and did well,anita blake up into a certain point...Gotdamnit! Scooby doo done did it?! why is this so damn hard for them?

Maybe,they really should just let it die.We fans remember hellblazer,but hellblazer is super obscure and most people don't even know about it.hell nick necro (okay,keanu ,but i just gotta make the joke) was more well known than hellblazer for the longest.and say what you will ,but the movie was great becaus ethey got the right magic-realism type atmosphere....it's the next best thing to hellblazer in my opinion.

It pains me that our boy john went out like a nut,but the fact is we are dealing with the wrong type of people who don't know how to write the genre.hellbalzer was horror...and actually paul dini's take on zatanna was horror...really think he may be able to pull off a constantine story ,provided zatanna was around--then again,maybe not

also this may seem minute to some peope but--

i think it could benefit from an actual non-heterosexual writer to acurately portray john..no really,but that is the least of our problems now

Okay,my rant is done

Unless he/she doesn't make the same mistakes Doyle and Tynion IV have, it's gonna be a long while

Finally found an image of the reveal:

d60-600x344.png

Looks like the good 'ol trenchcoat is back, and it also seems like John got rid of that awful haircut Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo gave him.

But eh, not too big on them calling the book "The Hellblazer" like John's some sorta kinda lame d-list event cannon fodder superhero and that's his moniker. Just call the book Hellblazer Vol 2.

d60-600x344.png

Looks like the good 'ol trenchcoat is back, and it also seems like John got rid of that awful haircut Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo gave him.

But eh, not too big on them calling the book "The Hellblazer" like John's some sorta kinda lame d-list event cannon fodder superhero and that's his moniker. Just call the book Hellblazer Vol 2.

& give it back to the Vertigo imprint but sadly that's not gonna happen unless Dan DiDio leaves or dies.

d60-600x344.png

Okay, I like the look of him going back to the rugged, trench coat wearing, shifty dude so yay to that. Looks like wolverine though with that hairstyle. As to how the actual story will turn out is another story.

Simon Oliver who's currently writing The Last Gang in Town for Vertigo would be fine, but the Simon Oliver who wrote that Chas mini-series better not be showing up at any point!

The first story already sounds incredibly dull, like DC has totally run out of ideas for John, and this has become some sort of superhero book.

"In the big X-Men relaunch, Magneto is threatening the world, and only the X-Men can stop him....unless some mutant hating bigots stop the X-Men from getting there first!".

Maybe DC could just sell the character to Marvel and have him join the X-Men?

His mutant power is his ability to con!

He then cons his way on to the Avengers team.

From there, he manages to con his way to taking over the Wolverine comic book.

The Marvel Universe will soon belong to Con John, the mutant con!

• Upvote 1

constantine and pete wisdom would either be best buds or hate each other--if he's still alive...did wisdom bite the bullet yet?

Nope, he just vanished mid plot: the rest of the comic kept going, but he stopped. He is a Warren Ellis character, after all...

:wink2:

• Upvote 1

constantine and pete wisdom would either be best buds or hate each other--if he's still alive...did wisdom bite the bullet yet?

Nope, he just vanished mid plot: the rest of the comic kept going, but he stopped. He is a Warren Ellis character, after all...

:wink2:

this doesn't even surprise me.that is saying something about the state of American comics (the big 2),isn't it?

Pete Wisdom last showed up in the latest incarnation of X-Force written by Si Spurrier. This was in 2014, I want to say. Si Spurrier seemed to have a fondness for the character.

Hey! what do you know, according to Wikipedia, James Tynion IV is a bisexual male!

I guess that shows that an openly gay writer is not the answer to JC's woes.

Plus, it proves in reality, Tynion is never the answer to anything.

I'm waiting for DC's announcement that Judd Winnick will be co-writing The Hellblazer with Oliver....

How old is Simon Oliver? his Wikipedia page says he was born in 1991. I have my doubts about that. He was hanging around on this Forum back when he was writing Chas, back around 2005, and he never came across as a 14 year old in our discussions with him.

Hey! what do you know, according to Wikipedia, James Tynion IV is a bisexual male!

I'm waiting for DC's announcement that Judd Winnick will be co-writing The Hellblazer with Oliver....

How old is Simon Oliver? his Wikipedia page says he was born in 1991. I have my doubts about that. He was hanging around on this Forum back when he was writing Chas, back around 2005, and he never came across as a 14 year old in our discussions with him.

hm...well that explains why Tynion was so comfortable with JC being queer..i find that and georgianna to be the only pluses i can think of for the mess that just occurred.

but it did not make me like this story.

as for his age...

that would only make him one year older than me...? dunno if that's true,and...and how long has this forum been around?

So very long. We've been trapped here for many years now. The first incarnation of the forum predates the internet, going back to the 1920s. It was created by a mad techno-fetishist, Freudian, fascist as a thought experiment.

It took on its current form sometime early in the 21st century, when the avatar John Constantine simulcra known as The John McMahon took control of the operation, steering it more towards a Maoist position, with emphasis on the sigil of Hellblazer.

After the purges had ended with the culmination of the StH Civil War, John McMahon brought the trans-spatial location in to post-modernist existence in the year known as 2004, this time as a web-site temporally located in the materialist ethersphere of the internet.

After enduring a number of psychological and mental tortures, John McMahon grew bored with the experiment, and we are pretty much free to do as we please now, so long as we never leave. In some ways this is worse than the prior regimentation, much like the trap of representative democracy. We fool ourselves in to thinking we are free, but we only face myriad other forms of hidden control.

Each of us polices our own synapses now.

We pray for death, but know that it will never come.

• Upvote 2

Don't jinx us, man!