GottaGetAGrip

DC's Young Animals (New Imprint)

doom-patrol-1107b.jpg

shade2-low-res-4b115.jpg

http://www.comicbook...ol-shade-titles

Gerard Way of Umbrella Academy fame (plus the band My Chemical Romance) gets his own DC publishing imprint and his imprint will be publishing a new Shade book plus "Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye" and "Mother Panic" in addition to his take on Doom Patrol.

Hopefully the release of a new Shade book will also lead to the trades collecting the rest of Milligan's series.

Christian    805

Based on Umbrella Academy, I'd guess he would have an excellent handle on the Doom Patrol. I like the idea of a Cave Carson comic also.

I can't say I'm as high on the new Shade, which is one not being written by Way.

I guess Mother Panic is a new character? That one doesn't interest me much either.

JasonT    456

Ouch. Mother Panic has a character called Violet Paige. My comic strip Preston Peace has a character called Violet Paisley who doesn't debut for 6 months yet. If Mother Panic takes off, it'll look like our character name is derivative. dry.gif We might as well introduce one called John Considine.

• Upvote 1

Christian    805

You could always rename her Violet Blue, and base her on a certain real life woman who I have absolutely no knowledge...

dogpoet    497

*throws Joan Constantinople script in the trash*

How about Joanna Hex?

• Upvote 1

Anyone else read Doom Patrol yet? I enjoyed it, though I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the Morrison run understanding any of it. The art was great, too. I'll stick around, I dig it so far.

Christian    805

Yep, I enjoyed it also. I wasn't fond of the cover, however. Very weird...and I don't say that in a good way. I could easily see it following the Pollack run on Doom Patrol, had the series continued.

A. Heathen    1,171

As noted elsewhere (and maybe here, as I am employing RetConn policies to rejig some of our discussions) I have been reading more of these books recently.

Three issues of the Doom Patrol book that feature The Brotherhood of Dada (now Nada) that are amusing. But I am not sure this is anything more than a decent cover version.
(Of Milligan and Morrison's DP) I might give it a few issues.

The Milk Wars crossover showcased the Young Animal books nicely, but only Shade The Changing Woman intrigued me enough to try that.
So #1 of STCW starts with a dialogue between TCM and TCW. There's something of a 1960s Bryan Talbot vibe to the art. I think there may be a recap montage. Or at least the first few pages don't grab me. When it goes back to the current "Madness" I really like the art's simple lines, and it gets a bit Yellow Submarine for a moment.
But all told, I don't latch on to the characters.

Maybe because I am reading two decent Milligan tales of extraordinary Madness (Kid Lob and Legion)

Funnily enough there's a short story addendum, which I find much more satisfying.

A. Heathen    1,171

I think I am down to Eternity Girl but I might be up to date with Shade the Changing Girl too. The way I buy the comics  is disjointed at the moment.

But the latest EG is great fun.

Different multiple origins are always fun.

Christian    805

The Young Animals line is ending, to be replaced by the Black Label Society and Sandman Slim. Not a big surprise. The head of the line already figured out he couldn't be bothered to write a Doom Patrol comic book.