Sign in to follow this  
GottaGetAGrip

Divergence of the Afterbirth (not a Cradle of Filth tribute act)

Christian    734

Aquaman was not interesting. It seems like DC is trying to make Aquaman seem more like Marvel's Namor. Terrorists from Atlantis? No. Wasn't that just the direction that Martian Manhunter took in the Convergence relaunch? It seems like DC was just trying to do these same sorts of things with this character with the last relaunch, during the New 52. Now, DC is trying to do the same things all over again, this recently. There was just nothing that caught my attention enough to make me want to pick up issue #2.

I'd rather read a Sub Mariner comic than see DC try to make their water character even more like the Marvel version.

That's two issues of the DCU Rebirth I've given a chance, and neither one has made up for all the bad feelings that DC has inculcated since the New 52 went straight to Hell.

Yeah, Flintstones remains DC's best book!

Christian    734

I read the Suicide Squad Rebirth issue now. I give Williams credit for actually introducing the concept and story to the reader, supposing that this is a fresh first issue, rather than the start of a story in the middle. I guess there was nothing wrong with the issue. It wasn't Ostrander's Suicide Squad, but I guess nothing was ever going to be that good on this book. I'm not really looking for a new comic series to buy though, and I don't feel there was enough meat in this issue to really make me want to continue picking the book up. Still, this was the strongest of the Rebirth comics I have read.

Christian    734

Deathstroke #1-I don't really know anything about this character. I might have read something featuring him during the Wolfman/Perez run on Teen Titans, but if so, it didn't stick in my mind. I gave the book a chance since Christopher Priest is writing it. It's basically very much the same as Suicide Squad....minus the government involvement (and, obviously, the team dynamic). Deathstroke is a mercenary for hire instead. Otherwise, yeah, I pretty much read this sort of thing in Suicide Squad last week. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Suicide Squad. Nothing wrong with this, it gave you a feel for this character, but that's about it. This is no Black Panther.

Christian    734

Flintstones continues to amaze by still managing to be the best book DC is publishing.

The 4th issue impressed me with a funny satire about the origins of marriage. There was even an appearance by Adam and Steve.

Christian    734

Cave Carson #1-I'm unsure what I think of this book. I was really enjoying the first part of the story. It was very much in the old Vertigo mould, of taking a happy, shiny Silver Age DC property, and doing the whole post-modern deconstruction bit. I say it works quite well with this character.

However, the end lost me.

I guess I'll give the book one more chance, but I wish it could have sustained the quality and atmosphere of the first part....before it stopped making sense. I don't mean in a psychedelic, Morrison manner....but, it just stopped making sense, period.

Christian    734

Richard Kadrey, author of Metrophage (which ended up being one of my very favourite Cyberpunk novels)*, has been announced as taking over on Lucifer starting in January. An outside-the-box, but interesting, choice.

*Yes, I realize Kadrey is probably much more famous for writing other books now, but that's all I've read by him.

Christian    734

After reading the third issue, I can't really say why exactly, but the series just isn't really working for me. It's not bad. I'm still reading it. It just feels like there should be more, something weirder. Maybe now that they've gone to the underground kingdom, maybe I'll start enjoying the book more. I wouldn't really recommend buying it, but I wouldn't say that you shouldn't give it a chance either. I'm just sort of on the middle ground about the book.

I've been enjoying Doom Patrol and Shade more, even though I was most looking forward to Cave Carson when the line was announced. (I have no interest in Mother Panic.)

dogpoet    442

(I have no interest in Mother Panic.)

You're not missing much, put it that way.

Christian    734

Flintstones continues to be DC's best book month after month. Did you think there could never be a meaningful Great Gazoo story, dum dum? Well, this book has just proven you wrong. A nice sociological discussion of the human condition.

dogpoet    442

It has to be better than Mother Panic.

Maybe we need a young animals thread? I'm still enjoying Cave Carson, but I'm fast cooling on everything else, and even Doom Patrol is looking a bit "bleah" at this point.

Christian    734

Outside of Mother Panic, Young Animals is pretty good, but yeah, I'm just not feeling very excited for any of the books in the line.

Flintstones is better than the Young Animals books too.

It's better than any of the current crop of Vertigo titles, as well. Not that there's a lot of competition from that direction anymore. Lucifer is fine, but living in Carey's shadow. Red Thorn was the only other Vertigo book I've been interested in for a few years, and that just ended. It was readable, but never as good as it could have been....unlike Flintstones, which should not work, but has exceeded my every expectation. It's closer to being what Vertigo used to be about than pretty much any Vertigo title in years, outside of The Last Gang in Town.

Doom Patrol feels like it's trying too hard to be like Morrison's run, without the originality of Morrison's run.

Cave Carson, like I said, just isn't working for me, as of yet. It seems like it should be a lot more out there, or maybe more like Morrison's Animal Man. One or the other. Instead, it doesn't seem like it wants to go far enough in either direction, and is just sort of bland.

I've actually been enjoying Shade the most out of the imprint, which surprised me, as it was the one I was least interested in (out of the three I planned to check out, Mother Panic was never on my list). It has its problems too. It seems to be the most sure of the story it is telling, out of the three books. It's not just re-doing Milligan's Shade (setting it apart from Doom Patrol), and seems to have a clear direction (setting it apart from Cave Carson).

Oh, I think there was once a Young Animals thread....but, it's not as if the DC thread gets much attention, other than my occasional plugs for the Flintstones anyway.

Christian    734

Well, the Flintstones manages to do it for another month! An appearance by Thorstein Veblen (or Thorstone Pebblen) makes this book hard to top. That's a person I'm sure no one expected to see show up in a comic book...especially a Flintstones comic. This book is such a gem.

A. Heathen    1,125

I just partially enjoyed the latest issue of Wonder Woman, because I liked the cover, I looked inside and noticed she is in a psychiatric hospital.

It's got way too much ongoing conspiracy team thing going on.

That's the state of comics for me.

Well, now that the first trades are coming out, I might as well chime in to give my 2c on some of the non-HB Rebirth books that I checked out between now and then:

For all the hype behind his return to WW, I really haven't connected with Rucka's stuff here. The alternating stories thing hasn't really worked out, did we really need a full arc devoted to her new origin story instead of just integrating it with the other arc? Honestly, the whole new origin kinda felt like an excuse to say - Hey kids, Nicola Scott is doing WW art! Lately, this book is giving me the "Wonder Woman is a side character in her own book" vibe that Azzarello was criticized for, what with her locked up in a mental asylum while the side-cast goes does stuff. For the record though, I found Azzarello's side-cast of reinvented Gods more interesting than this Steve Generic Military Guy Trevor Rucka seems to really like writing. The art is pretty though, I must admit.

The Flash - Joshua Williamson's Flash didn't give a good first impression. I liked the voice he gave to the Barry Allen Flash but his overall story was pretty clumsy. A kind of silly premise "wow what if a bunch of people got speed powers and Flash had to train them" that went nowhere. A pretty obvious mystery [ Spoiler : Who could this evil new villain be? Surely it couldn't be this character who has a past with Flash we just introduced? ] that was already lame when they did it in Batman: Hush. If these book wasn't one of the biweeklies, the decompression of his first arc would've been hell over eight months. Not a fan of Carmine Giandomenico's art (he's supposedly the main artist but this book gets fill-in artists so often I kinda question it) - he does a decent job displaying speed which is good in a Flash book but I just never was a fan of how he draws people.

Batman - I haven't found Tom King's take on DC's greatest cash-cow isn't as good as his earlier work for the Big 2. I suppose that I place a greater scrutiny upon Batman than Vision or the Omega Men. Some of his dialogue could do with a bit more polish, and for some reason, he likes to have Batman and Catwoman refer to each other as "Bat" and "Cat" which does feel silly. Still, I've enjoyed what King's done in his stories for the most part and I appreciate the smaller scale of his stories in comparison to the over-the-top Gotham-destroying blockbusters that made up Snyder's run. Art for this one's pretty good, even David Finch's contributions.

Overall, though I do enjoy several of the books, for all the hype Rebirth hasn't put out anything that I would call amazing just yet.

DC Vs. Looney Tunes is coming http://www.dccomics....-tunes-specials

Batman vs. Elmer Fudd

Lobo & Coyote vs. Road-Runner

Martian Manhunter vs. Marvin the Martian

Plus Jonah Hex, Yosemite Sam, and Foghorn Leghorn!

No creative teams announced yet, though I'm almost certain that the Hex one will be handled by Palmiotti and Gray.

I guess Constantine seducing Sheepdog or vice versa by Azzarello will be in the second wave.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Will it be as good as the DC vs Hanna Barbera annuals, though?

tumblr_oi2zr8ao3V1rkvd7qo1_500.jpg

Christian    734

Savage Things (Vertigo) was, indeed, a good read. It reminded me of an episode of the X-Files. The downside, however, is that it had very little content. Not very much seemed to happen in the story. It seemed to be over far too quickly, with not a lot to leave an impression. It was like the idea was briefly introduced, and then it went in fast-forward, with just some generic action scenes. I am sort of intrigued to pick up the next issue to see where this is going, but I also worry that it's all going to be leaving me feeling disappointed in the lack of substance in each issue. This is probably a book better served by a Trade.

The premise is that the CIA created a secret program to train child sociopaths in to homicidal terrorists working for the government. The CIA could then insert their teams in to other nations where the American government had an interest in shaking up the stability of said nation. Now, the kids from the program are grown up and they seem to want revenge on their keepers, but based on the ending of the first issue, it seems that the CIA still has a use for these charges.

I also noticed in the back-matter that Anne Nocenti's Kid Eternity is being collected. That would be worth getting for people who want to experience the old Vertigo, and haven't picked up those issues yet.

dogpoet    442

I also noticed in the back-matter that Anne Nocenti's Kid Eternity is being collected. That would be worth getting for people who want to experience the old Vertigo, and haven't picked up those issues yet.

Both of them?

:tongue:

Seems that way. Amazon says that trade collects the first nine issues, which would be about 1/2 of that run looking up the issue numbers. Though I don't see a second trade up for pre-order on Amazon, so I'm guessing DC is looking at how the first trade does first.

dogpoet    442

You mean it would only take two Trades to collect all of Nocenti's run?

I meant that there's probably only a couple of people left who were into the early 90s Vertigo who haven't investigated that one by now, Christian.

:tongue:

Christian    734

Oh, whoops! I wasn't sure that Nocenti's Kid Eternity was all that popular. I found most of the back-issues in the 25 cent box when I decided to read the series though.

dogpoet    442

That's why I was thinking anybody who was interested will have had a look by now. They've had a quarter of a century, and the comics aren't exactly pricey or hard to find...