GottaGetAGrip

Justice League Dark - The Animated Movie?

I'll need for the WB to stop trying to make our John in a JL variant happen; It NOT happening; didn't in 2011, why now???. If you want a Dr Strange type then use Fate (ANY of them, especially the Jared Stevens version)

I'm not into this at all, even the character design looks bad to me. Im beginning to think im getting too old for this shit.

I just can't stand it. John went from a guy who barely used magic, wasn't often a master at it, and only used it when it was 100 percent necessary or as some extra help for a con, to a guy that chants spells and looks like he's about to Kamehameha all the time. I love the show, but it was one of my problems with it as well.

I don't know about that. The Delano stories certainly made a distinction between the Hermetic tradition style ritual magic Constantine used, mostly to distinguish him from the mystically empowered handwavers and people who talk backwards in the rest of the DCU, but that was already starting to shift to a more improvised approach and an innate nose for magical shennanigans by the time Ennis had taken over. That approach, as far as I can tell, was used by Moore and Delano to stress that he succeeds through guile and deceit rather than a genuine flair for magic, and isn't one of these naturally gifted types who can shoot energy bolts out of their arses at will. (One also wonders if Gandalf -who it should be remembered only casts a couple of fairly minor looking spells in the whole of LOTR- is an influence on this level as well.)

Ennis, on the other hand, obviously didn't like the idea of writing Constantine as a minor player, and so had him doing incredibly impressive and powerful spells (albeit in a crude fashion) at the drop of a hat. Despite attempts to reverse this approach (Ellis and Carey in particular were keen on that), the road that led to the 12d6 variable magic multipower including energy blasts had already been taken, and the Milligan shitefest that closed down Hellblazer was already heading that way even before the comic was cancelled and rebooted.

Well having finally seen this it turns out, even with the R-rating, John doesn't light one up. Doesn't curse either, though he does give someone a two-finger salute. I don't actually know how this got an R-rating, since there didn't seem to be anything really out there in terms of violence.

I guess maybe John drinking some beer as well as a

Literal turd monster. The credits give JM DeMatteis a co-credit for story, but did the teleplay writers let Garth make a few additions as well? :P

might've been the reason but nothing in this movie really felt R-rated.

It was... okay, I guess. It was nice hearing Matt as John again, I liked the voices for Zatanna, Jason Blood/Etrigan and Swamp Thing (though he was kinda superfluous to the whole thing) as well. Not as bad as I was anticipating, but it's not something to be rushing out of the way to see. There are probably better ways to spend an hour and fifteen minutes.

Not really much of a horror vibe to it, not helped by the DC animation style. There's some horror-ish stuff at the beginning, but then it quickly goes to full-on magic superhero time. Kinda like the actual JLD comic, or at least how I remember it.

S okay it was average.i did like the voice acting and that we got the house of mystery and zatanna was hot.also like the implication of ztanna's power...but overall ,meh.not bad,not great either.it felt like justice league dark tho so i guess mission accomplished?