chamber

All New Adventures of Hellblazer #1

seventhcircle    582

i remember having fun reading those, it just had gotten so much worse at the end.

i can see why you would interpret ennis' in such a way, christian. it has a certain appeal reading his religious views as deconstructing criticism, rather than bitter dreading. in the sense that it makes the reading experience more enjoyable.

@ Seventh:

I don't know, I liked Milligan's run. I dunno, it just happened.

@ Christian:

Honestly yeah, looking back, that big mythical ending of Delano's original run seems really wasted considering the John Ennis decided to write afterwards.

Oh and I did praise Carey for being able to do a continuous story arc all throughout his run which wasn't much of a thing before.

I think that's a bit unfair on Azz, Dave. Sure, the whole thing dribbled away into a massively unimpressive damp squib of an ending, but Hard Time and Freezes over were both excellent stories, and a couple of the one shots mixed into the rest of it weren't bad, either.

I dunno, it felt like he went even further then Ennis, who seemed to have the supernatural around as window dressing so he could have a lot of gore and guys beating each other up and Azzarello seems to have just thrown it out almost exclusively and just focused on the fisticuffs.

So far, there's nothing to get excited about. Some members are more optimistic. It's just the first issue, which was pretty much a standalone story, so too soon to really say where things are going. If it keeps going in this direction, it's going to be a bland, riskless run that gets canceled with DC"s next relaunch, that's my opinion, so far.

I have a bit more optimism for the series, even though I pretty much agree with your opinion of the one-shot. The way I see it, Simon Oliver had a pretty hefty job to do with the Rebirth issue: he has to get John back to London, craft a plot around it due to what previous writers had established, and get it as close to PG-13 Hellblazer as possible, while ALSO introducing as much as he can for any new readers in a one-shot story. I can't imagine the editorial hands that HAD to be all over this comic to make it as Rebirthy as possible. Let's see what issue # 1 is like, when the Rebirth spotlight isn't shining so brightly. Hopefully Oliver will give two shits about the past of the previous relaunches and just get on with some actual Hellblazer.

Hard Time is really just as full of TV show clichés as most of Azzarello's run. I don't really consider it a good story-arc, just good by the standards of most of Azzarello's run. Freezes Over was pretty good, on the other hand. I don't really remember most of the stand-alone stories from Azzarello's run, but the ones I can remember, were dreadful.

"Lapdogs and Englishmen", the two-parter flashback that came out right after "Freezes Over", remains one of my favorite Hellblazer stories. That ending is so fucking creepy, even if it never got a resolution due to Azz leaving the book early.

Christian    750

Oh yeah, "Lap Dogs" was good too. I had forgotten about that one. There were a few really terrible stand-alone stories though.

What was the one in the bingo hall? Where John fucks the hooker, and Turro wants to fuck his own sister or something? Yeah, Azzarello had some terrible stories, but he had some good to great ones too. I still enjoy "Highwater" when I re-read it.

seventhcircle    582

Oh yeah, "Lap Dogs" was good too. I had forgotten about that one. There were a few really terrible stand-alone stories though.

speaking of dogs: there was one where he fucked a dog, k? can we leave it at that, that was shite.

dogpoet    455

To be fair, Milligan had him fuck a dog as well...

(Hi, Shelly!)

Demon Chas08    295

the timecapsule-thing can be said about a lot of what delano did too, especially politically speaking. there is nothing bad about that in my opinion, not everything has to be everlasting and in the context of constantine aging and all, it made his character have more dimensions.

ennis take on judeo-christian religion/mythology/whatever is well.. let's be real here the guy makes constantly fun of that stuff to show how stupid he thinks that shit is. at least thats how i read both preacher and his hellblazer stuff. some parts of it is: look at this, idiots. thats what you believe. LOOK AT IT! ennis is a bit like todays edgy militant-atheists-kids, except before it was cool and he is funny.

i am not sure he actually had in mind what to do with the first of the fallen when he wrote dangerous habits, imo it was a deus ex machina and he ran with it, because the premise was nice (constantine and cancer) and he could give us the fingerpanel and the solution to cancer in the hellblazer universe was above all else, as real as you could get john constantine.

he turned the first of the fallen dynamic it into the typical comic-book protagonist-antagonist relationship, put a little homoerotic undertones and some cracy on top and voila. what i want to say is: i think he intentionally went way over the top with a trope (as he does sometimes) and it reads a little shitty, because the trope is shitty. think of luther/superman, joker/batman the fact that there are comics were there is this overpowered (yeah batman is) guy that fights for good, but hesitates to kill a mass murdering maniac on every occasion is just... insane. and there is a certain homo-erotic vibe to two guys who obsess over each other as much as the batman and the joker do. coming back to hellblazer: well the only reason for a guy like constantine to not kill off some motherfucker is, apart from temporarily a little torture and social exploitation (a.k.a. fun), that the antagonist is infinitely more powerful and immortal, enter the first. maybe i am giving ennis to much credit, but i think a lot of his writing is far more self (read industry) aware, than you give him credit for.

i liked some of the shorts ellis did for hellblazer. some of them were actually creepy and had some nice horror-feeling to it, nothing special, but none of it was bad either.

i actually think azz tried to experiment, yes his hellblazer was a cringy shitshow, but i honestly had the feeling he tried. it was just really really bad. to send a british based character to the states for some time is not a bad premise. it is certainly not original, but it could have been interesting. that can be said about a lot of azzs run: could have, but fucked it up. coming back to s.w.manor, the batman analogy and all. at some point i can see an author saying: well either fuck, or kill each other. you will never be able to write a batman comic, in which this happens (which is shit btw), but you can in hellblazer. i can see the appeal in that. was it necassery: no. but azz obviously needed to get it out of his system :D

milligan wrote a fucking soap opera and maybe projected some midlife-crisis or whatever. his stuff was bad, really fucking awful.

I wouldn't be surprised if those seven issues was responsible for Levitz and the rest letting him and Risso do Broken City the following year later and his Joker and Lex focused books

dogpoet    455

Having been sidetracked by the debate about who did (and didn't) write a half decent Constantine:

I know it's ungentlemanly to speculate about a lady's age, but did anybody think Mercury looked to be in her early forties reading the first issue? (Still, if he looks twenty or thirty years younger than he's meant to be, there's no reason Merc and Chaz shouldn't have their ages and backstories rebooted as well, I suppose...)

Having been sidetracked by the debate about who did (and didn't) write a half decent Constantine:

I know it's ungentlemanly to speculate about a lady's age, but did anybody think Mercury looked to be in her early forties reading the first issue? (Still, if he looks twenty or thirty years younger than he's meant to be, there's no reason Merc and Chaz shouldn't have their ages and backstories rebooted as well, I suppose...)

I don't think they have actual "ages" like they did in Hellblazer proper. This is DC continuity, where Batman is always 30 years old, so having John and Chas both look 35-ish forever would make Mercury considerably younger than them. They've allowed her to age up to a certain 20-something age and then stop.

Christian    750

Right. I'm guessing John is supposed to be in his early-30s, and Mercury was supposed to be in her early-20s. There was absolutely no way Mercury was meant to be in her 40s.

Mainstream comics feel that a main character over 35 years old is somebody that comic fans have no interest in reading about, because they're "old". I remember when Tony Stark was being written at around early-40s in Iron Man vol. 1, and Marvel decided that sales on Iron Man were so bad because Tony Stark was an "old dude" who readers couldn't relate to anymore, so they deaged him to a teenager....for probably the worst run of comic books ever written.

• Upvote 1

If Oliver does plan on referencing old Hellblazer continuity, that permanent 30-something age will likely mean that only the Delano and Ennis runs are canon for him (which is likely, given his references to Astra in the Rebirth special that ignores Jenkins' run).

dogpoet    455

Mainstream comics feel that a main character over 35 years old is somebody that comic fans have no interest in reading about, because they're "old". I remember when Tony Stark was being written at around early-40s in Iron Man vol. 1, and Marvel decided that sales on Iron Man were so bad because Tony Stark was an "old dude" who readers couldn't relate to anymore, so they deaged him to a teenager....for probably the worst run of comic books ever written.

So when are they writing J Jonah Jameson out of Spiderman, then?

Christian    750

That's probably why Spider Man stars Peter Parker, who varies between mid-20s and early-30s, rather than starring JJJ.

That's probably why Spider Man stars Peter Parker, who varies between mid-20s and early-30s, rather than starring JJJ.

A comic book starring J Jonah Jameson is something I did not know I needed until now.

seventhcircle    582

fuck that i just want a book starring jjj, call it:

RELENTLESS - A true Journalist at War!

Starring John Jonah Jameson Jr. on the just cause of stopping the greatest menace to society: Super-Beings.

Demon Chas08    295

If Oliver does plan on referencing old Hellblazer continuity, that permanent 30-something age will likely mean that only the Delano and Ennis runs are canon for him (which is likely, given his references to Astra in the Rebirth special that ignores Jenkins' run).

I be surprised if we just get Dani as the sole rep of Jenkins era for the new book should Oliver opt to bring back a past love interest.

dogpoet    455

Starring John Jonah Jameson Jr. on the just cause of stopping the greatest menace to society: Super-Beings.

Was it The Voice where he set up an offshoot from the Bugle to cover that stuff and keep it out of his paper proper, as he'd finally realised that his constant pissing and moaning about that was hurting sales?

I be surprised if we just get Dani as the sole rep of Jenkins era for the new book should Oliver opt to bring back a past love interest.

If we do get an old love interest back, I have to think it would be Zed given the call backs to the Delano years and her prominence as the sidekick on the TV show.

Was it The Voice where he set up an offshoot from the Bugle to cover that stuff and keep it out of his paper proper, as he'd finally realised that his constant pissing and moaning about that was hurting sales?

That was The Pulse, wasn't it? The series Bendis did as a follow-up to Alias, only with less anal sex.

I've always found the idea of reading things like TV shows in novelised form to be a bit of a stretch as so much is based around the performance of the individual actors. And Comics kinda feel weird in this sense to me too. Though some writers love to fill their paragraphs with meaningless pseudo artsy drivel like Frank Miller waxing poetic about the reek of a godamn sewer.

dogpoet    455

I knew it was some gerund or other, thanks.

(I was more taken with that bringing back Kat Farrell than trotting out Jessica again: I really liked her as a character.)

slinker    893

i don't mean to insult any of the early artists Delano worked with, and it was the 80s, but I wonder how different his run would have been with one of the artists who drew hellblazer for a significant time. i know Simpson had a decent run drawing for Delano but i felt his style was too old school for such an in your face comic. I wonder if Delano had had Jock for longer than Pandemonium, or Manco, or Dillon (I know some of you don't like Dillon's 3 faces, but still) what a difference it would have made among current readers who didn't grow up with the book.

Carey's John was my favorite. Delano, then Jenkins.