• Kent Williams
    • Tom Canty
    • Glenn Fabry
    • Sean Phillips
    • Tim Bradstreet
    • Greg Lauren
    • Lee Bermejo
    • Simon Bisley

Apologies if something like this has already been a topic, but I felt like making a poll. Hellblazer was blessed with some fantastic cover art, so who tickles your fancy? As much as Phillips is my favorite *interior* artist on the series, I have to give my cover love to Bradstreet.

Christian    734

I went with Kent Williams. I love the McKean also, but the Williams cover just had a harsher, more dissonant edge to them that fit even better with Delano's dark and disturbed prose.

dogpoet    442

I'd have said the Williams might be a little too pretty as well as the McKean. That's the main objection to Tom Canty as well, imo. (Did he do more than the one cover?)

I went for Bradstreet. Given that his normal thing is looming guys with big guns in front of a graffitti-ed wall, he really pushed his boundaries a lot with some of his Hellblazer covers. Also, he's an excellent draughtsman with a flair for composition, which never hurts with cover art, does it?

metanoia    69

Dave Mckean for me with Kent Williams in a very close second. Both of them encapsulate how Hellblazer should feel to me. They capture the brooding horror in the shadows, rather than the in your face here's a picture of a big fat Demon John is going to con and/or sleep with!

• Upvote 1

While I liked Williams, McKean's covers never did anything for me. They were, I dunno, too vague for my liking perhaps? As for Tom Canty, he did the covers for the first half of Ennis' run, issues 41-50.

I'm surprised no one voted for Fabry. Not my cup of tea, really, but I remember people fawning all over them when the run was being released. Of all the Vertigo staple cover artists, I'm surprised Brian Bolland never had a go.

Dave    265

I think all these guys brought something different to the covers, but they were all pretty great in their own way.

Except Greg Lauren, who must have won a bet with a VP at Time Warner or something.