GM Otomon

Ashes & Dust wtf??!

A. Heathen    1,171

There were two stories in the mina run.

A HILFUCKINGARIOUS two parter where Scots laugh at England football.

And the empathy thing.

Her Constantine was ace.

Her supporting cast less so.

Azzarello wins

JasonT    456

I don't think Ade's saying there were two Mina stories where John was queer — he's saying there were only two Mina stories.

...john was always a cock-sucker,but the mostly heterosexually male readership casually phased it out ...

You mean hetero readers cherrypicked the character to suit what they wanted him to be? Good thing bi readers never did that, huh? :wink2:

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    496

That's Kermit playing Phillip Marlowe, d00d.

(And as '70s Marlowes go, Kermit was a shitload better than Elliott Gould...)

Pooka    820

I love Elliot Gould in The Long Goodbye.

(I just had to jump in to say that)

dogpoet    496

My problem with The Long Goodbye isn't so much Gould as Altman, who seemed to find Marlowe's attempts to keep his integrity while constantly being placed in situations that make that difficult by his job laughable, and tilts the script towards mocking that element of the character. It's probably unfair of me to blame Gould for that. It'd have been interesting to see what he'd have done if he'd got to work with a script and director that treated the lead character with sympathy rather than contempt, really.

Seventh, bear in mind that my own favourite screen Marlowe is Robert Mitchum, and apart from him, most of the rest of those two films suck. (That said, anybody who doesn't think that Richard Kiel made almost as perfect a Moose Malloy as Mitchum did a Marlowe needs their head examined.)

I really like Powers Boothe, who played Marlowe in a rather good television series from the '80s as well.

Bogart is great, but he played Marlowe exactly the same way he played Sam Spade, which is a shame.

dogpoet    496

This conversation reminds me so much of the cinematic Marlowe tirade in James Robinson's Starman, which pleases me to no end.

:hattip:

I was forgetting that. (IIRC, the best thing about that was the wanker who'd wandered in from an early Tarantino flick, insisting that the stupid camera gimmick film is the definitive one: Robinson couldn't have made it more obvious that the guy's talking crap if he'd had Grawbadger draw him with "Fuckwit" written on his forehead.)