JohnMcMahon

Carey

JohnMcMahon    562

Picked up all of Mike's run on Hellblazer care of the 60% off sale on Comixology, about half-way through - just finished the excellent Out Of Season two parter.

Was kind of dragging for me up till then actually, a little too much magic flying around for my liking and the less said about Super Power Armour Cod Piece Swamp Thing the better, I think. That's a little unfair, his opening story is dead good, John throwing on his old coat and storming off to get shit done was ace.

Out Of Season is brill, shame Manco couldn't handle the art for both parts though.

dogpoet    454

It's reading better going through it in a rush than it would a month at a time, then?

dogpoet    454

And it features Swamp Thing's codpiece as well...

I thought the amnesia plot was kind of slog until issue # 200, mainly because I wasn't digging Frusin's art by that point (and he started out SO GOOD during Azzarello's run, too). "RSVP" still stands as one of my favorite Constantine stories, though.

Christian    744

My feelings are pretty much the same as GottaGetAGrip. I wasn't as big a fan of Carey's run as most....I'd rank him in the middle portion of HB writers also....but, he had a very strong start and ending. A lot in the middle just dragged, and certain points of his run I actively very much disliked. I'd still give Delano's final story the nod as my favourite finale, but RSVP is easily in second place. It was such a strong story.

dogpoet    454

So why is RSVP worse than a two parter that switched artists halfway through?

:wink2:

Christian    744

Because, I'm not that concerned with art, when the story is so good. Also, there was a thematic shift between issue #39 and #40 that could explain the switch in artists. Plus, it was McKean doing the art for #40, so I'm sure not going to complain about that.

JohnMcMahon    562

The end of Jenkins' run wasn't fantastic or anything but I really liked his John's closing words, and that when I went to find them I ended up on the old site!

'That's it, then. The whole thing comes around in its typical, torturous bloody circle. I'm sitting on another rock, listening to the sound of the water. And in the end, it didn't work out to terribly really. I mean, nobody got hurt too badly. Nothing that can't be fixed, given enough time. Nobody died. Except me.'

Mid-life crisis John will always be my favourite John.

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

Oh yeah. I love Jenkins' version of John, and the closing dialogue of Jenkins' final issue was one of my favourite lines from HB, but it wasn't exactly enough to save the rest of the story-arc, which was something of a mess.