Sign in to follow this  
dogpoet

Books about comics...

dogpoet    442

Anybody in the habit of reading these? I've just got hold of a copy of Dez Skinn's "Comix" (a history of underground comix, obvs), which made me think that I have quite a few like this: Martin Barker's book on pre code horror comics, the slings and arrows guide, a few encyclopedia. Like that.

Christian    734

I own the history of Marvel Comics one by Les Daniels. Other than that, I prefer to get books that collect the comics. I have a number of the pre-code horror anthologies that have been released over the years. One on the Undergrounds does sound interesting though.

dogpoet    442

Is the Les Daniels one the really uncritical write up from the '90s?

Morrison's Supergods probably is the only book I own that's about comics. And my dad got me a copy of Doring-Kindersley's Ultimate X-Men Guide for Christmas once, it might still be around his house somewhere.

There were these two books that I used to check out from my library in my youth, though. Don't remember the titles and I don't think the library carries them now, but one was an encyclopedia of comic book villains and the other an encyclopedia that covered a broad swath of comics from both the mainstream and underground. I think that latter encyclopedia was where I first read about Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Christian    734

Is the UXM the one with a foreward by Chris Claremont? I got a copy of that one also. It wasn't bad, if you're a X-Men fan, and since it was my first series, I am.

Is the UXM the one with a foreward by Chris Claremont? I got a copy of that one also. It wasn't bad, if you're a X-Men fan, and since it was my first series, I am.

It did have Claremont's foreward. I used to be a big X-Men fan in my youth but I've fallen out of touch with the recent comics.

Was the villains thing one of Mike Conroy's?

Googled it, and I believe it was his 500 Comic Book Villains.

dogpoet    442

There's a heroes book as well. They're not a bad read, but very superficial, iirc.