Sign in to follow this  
TheDevilYouKnow

CONSTANTINE IS BACK... As an animated series ??

That is a pretty egregious change considering it's an All His Engines adaptation. That was one of the biggest high-points of All His Engines, the amount of characterization Carey used with Chas.

The whole point to the graphic novel's superb ending was about how Chas was just a "regular guy", and not one of John's occult-oriented buddies.

For almost any other HB adaptation, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but that was one of the aspects that really made All His Engines stand out as a top quality JC story. I wonder what the purpose even was in making that change, as it doesn't seem like it would matter to the plot to change Chas' back-story. Maybe it's based in the fact that Chas was such a small part of most of Delano's run on HB. Yet, the creators should be looking towards the Carey source material, rather than to Delano, for this story.

Although, as mentioned, it is named after a Si Spencer comic book too, so who knows?

The animation will be getting compiled into a movie version, though the remaining episodes have yet to be released. According to JM DeMatteis, it'll contain some additional footage not seen in the episode format.

Super well-done film. Dark, dramatic, twistedly humorous and horrific in all the right places just like a Hellblazer tale should be. This is exactly the kind of material Matt Ryan deserves to get in live action form, but for now, this'll definitely do. I hope there's a sequel. 

4 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

Have you read All His Engines ? 

Yes, albeit a while ago so my memory on it isn't 100% fresh. I'm sure you're about to tell me how it's " not a worthy adaptation " though, even though it's clearly not meant to be exactly like it ? 

Unless I'm just being presumptious, in which case I apologize, but one gets so used to fans shitting on everything in existence online...

Oh good lord no, nothing is that sacrosanct for me. 

What works in one medium won't necessarily transfer well to another or maybe the creatives just want to put their own spin on it - as long as thay make something I enjoy, I don't really care! 

Was just going to ask how similar it was to AHE isall!

• Upvote 1

My bad lol. It mostly takes inspiration from All His Engines but from various other stories as well, and sorta puts their own spin on them and combines them in interesting ways.

But in regards to the level of darkness/violence/etc. it's more in line with the Vertigo comics than one would expect for sure . Don't wanna spoil too much but they even let Matt Ryan say "fuck " lol