A. Heathen    1,125

As we know, the powers that bestride the DC empire often check in here so they can avoid good decisions about Hellblazer.

So it occurred to me - with Christian & Dogpoet discussion on the sales figures thread - that it's time once more to bring up the quarterly graphic novel/ tpb/ pulp model.

No longer will writers have to cram or extend stories to fit the pretend monthly market when they should be writing long form tales.

Writers can be rotated more easily.

Tales of the Hellblazer (past times, supporting cast, etc).

Artists can be signed up for a volume rather than disjointed art within stories.

I reckon 80 pages a quarter is about right. But would settle for 100.

A. Heathen    1,125

What back up stories would you like to see?

(Take a look at Dylan Dog's European pulp publications for a template, by tge way.)

Christian    734

They could have back-up stories of any supporting characters from HB, untold past tales of Constantine (not major stories, but fun, quick stories, or short, poignant tales....stories worth telling, but not big enough for a main story), or maybe something like "Tales from Hell" or something that retells mythological stories from different cultures about demons.

Dave    265

I like all of this. Make this happen. As long as it's in the original continuity im down. (Honestly, even it its not.)

As far as back ups, maybe something with John's ghosts.

A. Heathen    1,125

Thing is, this could feature any Constantine continuity.

Every year at xma we could get Tales Of Hipster New Yorker Constantine.

JohnMcMahon    562

Yes please, I'd even be delighted with even a yearly schedule - 80 pages of 'real' Hellblazer told by a writer who has something to say with John would be fantastic.

The only draw back I can see, and it's a personal one, was that as silly as it kind of got I was always a fan of a new writer introducing their own supporting cast over the course of a multi-year run.

I can hear any prospective artists wailing in anger from here but sod it, make it black and white newsprint if that's what it takes.

dogpoet    442

(Take a look at Dylan Dog's European pulp publications for a template, by tge way.)

Nick Necro, obvs.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,053

Something involving Header and Ric the Vic

Christian    734

When was the last time we got an interesting supporting cast though? Milligan's supporting cast....Piffy....New 52 didn't feature any supporting cast, the Doyle misfire had John's wannabe boyfriend and that was all, and now we get rehashes from past creative teams (Mercury). So, it's not like we'd be missing out on anything, John.

dogpoet    442

You could have a sort of infernal soap opera of his deceased associates dealing with their daily life in the pit: "Friends In Hell". Brendan wouldn't be involved in that (except perhaps as the phantom phone caller on occasion) and both Zee and Chas are still alive, but most of the rest of the people Constantine's met in the course of his career are dead and in hell.

Nagrom    1

This sounds good, I like it. Tales of the early con-job would b fun as well. An arrogant, bloody n winning John, gleefully breaking hearts n heads of boys n girls in a charming fashion, the character we loved being sexy n dangerous, yes plz

dogpoet    442

This sounds good, I like it. Tales of the early con-job would b fun as well. An arrogant, bloody n winning John, gleefully breaking hearts n heads of boys n girls in a charming fashion, the character we loved being sexy n dangerous, yes plz

Of course, that could be shit: have you not watched any Gotham?

• Downvote 1

dogpoet    442

Returning to Adrian's original point, though: wouldn't a big 80-100 pages comic need to be an annual rather than a quarterly? I think whenever DC has published quarterly comics in the past, they've just been a double or half as many pages again thing in the standard comics format. If that was how it gets done, I'd much rather an annual than a quarterly myself.

A. Heathen    1,125

They need a new model though and we currently get 60 pages a quarter so it's not much different.

dogpoet    442

That's true, but It's also why going quarterly most likely wouldn't solve the problem. If they were doing four issues a year, they'd probably still edit it to be collected as a paperback later and so keep all of the padding and rambling. It'd need to switch over to the OGN thing totally to avoid that, or it might as well stay a monthly, I'd have thought.

Getting something comparable to All His Engines and Pandemonium once a year would be an absolute best-case-scenario, I think. Make it an event for Vertigo with top shelf talent, either new or returning, and sell it as a return to form for the character AND on the backs of the creative teams. I think even as a mature reader vehicle, they'd be surprised by the support.

::/pipe dream off::

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Quite. That's why the crime "novel" series was such a success both times DC tried it.

:tongue:

Quite. That's why the crime "novel" series was such a success both times DC tried it.

:tongue:

Ouch, touche. However, I give the caveat that Vertigo's "crime novel" initiative shot itself in the foot with its terrible design choices. Yes, yes, I realize you desperately want to be a "real book", but if I'm going to pay $20 for an OGN I want it bigger than a normal comic, not smaller. Plus, didn't they roll those things out with multiple releases every month for a year? The local Half Price Books is flooded with those things now, I hadn't realized DC had produced so damn many of them.

That said, I think a single yearly release of a Hellblazer OGN would still be viable.

dogpoet    442

It would, but I'm with Ade and John in that I'd much rather see a fatter OGN in paperback (on crappier paper in B&W if that'll keep the costs down some) than an overpriced and slim hardback.

Oh, I agree, that would be my preference as well. I just don't think DC/Vertigo would ever take that approach with it, and if they WERE going to go out on a huge limb and bring Hellblazer back in a yearly format, it would be as an OGN.

So, in the hypothetical storybook fantasy that sees DC resurrecting Hellblazer as yearly Vertigo OGNs, or whatever format you'd like in this dream scenario, who would be on your short-list to produce some material?  I'd honestly like the first to be an anthology, a la issue # 250 w/o the Christmas theme, that brings back all the old creators for one last short story.  Delano, Ennis, Jenkins (absolutely Jenkins!), Carey, extend the invite to Ellis and see if he bites, even Azzarello and Milligan.  Let Sean Phillips, Leonardo Manco, Marcelo Frusin, any of the other classic artists that are still around all produce some work for it.  

Then, the next year you hand off to a new creative team to tell their one Hellblazer story.  Who's on the short-list?  I'd like to see Paul Cornell take a swing, then let cats like Kieron Gillen, China Meiville, and James Robinson (likely an unpopular choice for most, I'm sure) take their turns.  Al Ewing would be another good one, I think.  What about on art?  My dream artist for the series has always been Charlie Adlard.  Throw down some dollars and get Bill Sienkiewicz to join up for a volume.