Christian    734

Al Ewing, definitely. He's probably the one current comic book writer who should be writing a Hellblazer monthly comic book, if DC still cared about the character.

Kieron Gillen would be fine for one chance, and then if he managed to do a really good job, bring him back. I'm a fan of Gillen, but I actually like his non-creator owned work so much better than his own books. He has a knack for taking other writers' characters and doing really interesting things with them, while his own characters and plot ideas usually fall flat for what I enjoy in comics.

Si Spurrier

At least once more from Jamie Delano, of course.

Ramsey Campbell....he's not the author he once was, but since I see so much of Delano's HB in Campbell's fiction, I think Campbell deserves a turn at writing John.

My number one choice is J.M. DeMatteis. I've been wanting to see DeMatteis work on HB since the 1990s now. I wouldn't want him full-time on the book, or it would turn in to a New Age love-fest, which doesn't work with a character like John very well, but after seeing DeMatteis get the chance to write a John Constantine during the "New 52" era, I'm more convinced than ever that he can put out at least one Hellblazer story I will cherish.

Spurrier, yes, definitely.

Ditto for DeMatteis, whose long been one of my favorite comic writers.  I really enjoyed that first issue of Justice League Dark that he wrote, that had John being manipulated by the House of Mystery, and thought he had the character's voice down really well.  It was too bad that he had to slog through that "Blight" crossover, which soured me on his JLD run as a whole.  Still, though, I agree that he'd likely have one really great Hellblazer story in him.

In addition to names like Spurrier and Mieville already mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing what these writers could do with John:

-Gail Simone
-Tom King
-David Hine
-Ales Kot
-Ed Brubaker

dogpoet    442

Grant Morrison, Matt Wagner, Pat Mills, Ann Nocenti or Adam Warren: if they're only doing a quarterly or an annual, DC can get hold of these people, have them write smething around their other work, and make sure the script is done before they start looking for an artist, right?

(ETA) Daniel Schaffer who did the Dogwitch series might be fun to have take a crack at writing John as well.

JasonT    438
On 30/09/2017 at 2:13 AM, Ixnay by Night said:

... I'd honestly like the first to be an anthology, a la issue # 250 w/o the Christmas theme, that brings back all the old creators for one last short story.  Delano, Ennis, Jenkins (absolutely Jenkins!), Carey, extend the invite to Ellis and see if he bites, even Azzarello and Milligan. 

Writing for Hellblazer when Hellblazer's over? Pete Milligan's already done that.

+1 for Paul Cornell and Al Ewing. And can we have John Wagner and Nick Spencer please?

dogpoet    442

If we're sticking to 2000AD regulars, John Smith might be an idea as well.

JasonT    438

Oops... yeah, I forgot one of my perennial favourites.

Christian    734

I think I might have heard that he wrote an issue of Hellblazer once....It was quite good, or so the rumours say.

Ales Kot was another good choice. He should've made my list. His Wolf was a better HB than most HB runs....sadly, he seems to have forgotten he was writing that series, like most Image creators end up doing. He's moved on to other books now.

dogpoet    442

I wonder if they could get Howard Chaykin to do one of these hypothetical OGNs?

Matt Wagner, yes please.  Howard Chaykin, no, not so much.  

Speaking of John Smith, I was reading back through the Sean Phillips art book a few weeks ago, and it had a lot of talk about Smith and Hellblazer.  Apparently, the Smith/Phillips team almost had the gig post-Delano, but the decision ultimately went to Ennis instead.  Issue # 51 was taken from the series outline/proposal that Smith had submitted to Berger.  I'd have really loved to see that run happen, personally.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442
2 hours ago, Ixnay by Night said:

Matt Wagner, yes please.  Howard Chaykin, no, not so much.  

Speaking of John Smith, I was reading back through the Sean Phillips art book a few weeks ago, and it had a lot of talk about Smith and Hellblazer.  Apparently, the Smith/Phillips team almost had the gig post-Delano, but the decision ultimately went to Ennis instead.  Issue # 51 was taken from the series outline/proposal that Smith had submitted to Berger.  I'd have really loved to see that run happen, personally.

The story I've heard (and this might just be a much younger and snottier Mark Millar trash-talking his competition), is that Ennis got it over Smith because he out and out stated that there was no way in hell he would even consider wasting his time writing Doctor Fate* if he wasn't offered Hellblazer...

What's the issue with Chaykin? Wouldn't you like to see Constatine in either a much sharper suit (or black leather) beating the shit out of people in between overdesigned splash pages of gunfights? Nobody in comics does flamboyant dandies like Chaykin, after all, and he's got the correct political slant and a nasty sense of humour as well.

*(aka Scarab, it seems)

3 minutes ago, dogpoet said:

The story I've heard (and this might just be a much younger and snottier Mark Millar trash-talking his competition), is that Ennis got it over Smith because he out and out stated that there was no way in hell he would even consider wasting his time writing Doctor Fate* if he wasn't offered Hellblazer...

What's the issue with Chaykin? Wouldn't you like to see Constatine in either a much sharper suit (or black leather) beating the shit out of people in between overdesigned splash pages of gunfights? Nobody in comics does flamboyant dandies like Chaykin, after all, and he's got the correct political slant and a nasty sense of humour as well.

*(aka Scarab, it seems)

Just not big on Chaykin, he's about the last creator I would want touching Constantine.  Especially if he was on art as well, because John would suddenly have black hair and a cleft chin.  Put him on a Nick Necro ongoing series, however, and I would indeed be achin' for some Chaykin.  :boogie:

JasonT    438

C'mon, Ixnay. You're only fakin' that achin' for Chaykin. It's the thought of Nick Necro that's got you shakin' the bacon.

124ed7b.jpg

• Upvote 4