dogpoet    443

Oh, no question that a big part of Robinson's approach to heavy continuity is that it lets him do character stuff about the characters, based on stuff that's been printed in a comic or two. Absolutely a big part of Starman's appeal was the fun Robinson was obviously having with mining the continuity and backstories of all the prior Starmen and connecting Ted Knight and his son's rogues galleries, but that was always secondary to Jack's character arc, and Jack isn't just Robinson's original character, he's also probably the single best mainstream superhero character introduced during the '90s. If it looked like I was having a go at Robinson over his taste for continuity mining, that wasn't intended.

And at least Robinson might well do something surprising with Constantine, even if it turned out to be surprisingly bad rather than surprisingly good.

:tongue:

• Upvote 1

Christian    735

Batman: White Knight #1 (by Sean Murphy)-This wasn't what I was expecting.

Joker is cured of his insanity, is able to get his message across that Batman is the real villain in Gotham City, and gets people to follow him.....

Since all the solicitations read that the Joker turns the "99%" against Bruce Wayne as the "1%", and questions who is the real hero and villain in Gotham, I can be excused for expecting something which questioned the fact that Bruce Wayne is the richest person in Gotham (one of the richest in the world), yet he lives in one of the poorest cities in America, and his best response to this is to dress up as a bat and beat up criminals.

Instead, we get a lot of questioning of usual superhero tropes; which we're meant to ignore as comic readers, and which it is better for the comic writer to not point out, because superhero comics don't take place in our real world.

Of course, the big issue there is that, even if Joker does have some type of point, there's no way that he's going to get a majority of people to believe in his message and turn on Batman, considering the Joker's history.

I'm hoping that Murphy has a better point than "crazy megalomaniac gets the masses to follow him.....at what cost!", and considering the interview he gave to hype this series, it seems that's not his intent. Yet, it's hard to not read that in to what I've seen in this first issue, if the whole of the plot is "Joker is able to rally the masses to decide that Batman is a villain", based on things like "he drives a tank around the city, without considering the cost it could have on the public's lives".

Wasn't this part of the plot to the first Batman movie? The public sides with charismatic jokester over dark, brooding vigilante....and comes to regret their choice.

I was expecting something closer to Bane in the  Dark Knight Rises, except even more socially conscious.

Yeah, I was hoping for a more cerebral series, and I'm hoping this goes somewhere better, but I really can't be bothered to come back for the next issue to see, based on the simplistic ideas I saw presented in this first issue. Perhaps, if Murphy has a bigger agenda, he should have put more in to this first issue to convince the reader that the Joker has a valid opinion, and this isn't just "Batman would probably not be as accepted in the real world, considering some of the crazy things he does".

dogpoet    443
9 hours ago, Christian said:

Wasn't this part of the plot to the first Batman movie? The public sides with charismatic jokester over dark, brooding vigilante....and comes to regret their choice.

No, that was the third Batman movie (the one with Danny Devito as the Penguin): the first movie involved dehydrated UN members, Adam West having problems disposing of a bomb safely, Julie Newmar as Catwoman and shark repellent batspray.

• Like 1

Christian    735

Well, I meant the first Batman movie in the "modern sense". The one with Jack Nicholson as the Joker and Michael Keaton as Batman.

And, yeah, it was also the plot of the one with Danny DeVito as the Penguin, wasn't it?

There was the scene in the Jack Nicholson version where the Joker wanted to prove himself to the public and had that parade....

dogpoet    443

After the public already hated him over him poisoning stuff, killing the DA with a quill pen, mutilating Jerry Hall and trashing half of the museum?

I admit it's been  years since I've seen that flick, but i really don't think the parade was supposed to be a charm offensive so much as him flaunting that he could whatever the hell he wanted because the authorities couldn't cope with his madcap shenanigans. The balloons on the float were supposed to gas the crowd to death as well, iirc.

(The whole, "I just want to be loved" thing was a bit more credible coming from Devito in the sequel, put it that way.)

dogpoet    443

On a less Batman-y note, the current Mister Miracle mini is still looking good.

ETA:

Though if they keep writing Orion as the repulsive arse he's been written as so far and if the hints that Scott and Barda have both been corrupted by their time on Apocalips are on the level, I have a suspicion of how this is going to end. It'd actually be nice if I turn out to be right about that as well as it'd be a pleasing and symmetrical ending, but I don't know if DC would let it happen given it'd be a very serious revision of the status quo. Let's see if the spoiler things still work for the ending I think this is probably building towards:

Orion, acting increasingly like an an autocratic, self satisfied wanker imposes a fascist state on New Genesis and turns it into an ugly fascist shithole, like his dad always planned to. As a balance, Scott and Barda take over Apocolips (the conspicuously absent thus far Darkseid having died or vanished -possibly he and Highfather have both not so much died as ascended to some other plane to carry on their lifelong pissing match on some other level of reality) and start reworking that into a nicer place.

Christian    735

Yeah, he was planning to gas the crowd and kill them.

That's my point about the Sean Murphy series though....it makes as much sense as in the movie. We're really supposed to believe that after everything the Joker has done, suddenly a majority of people are meant to decide that Joker's message has relevance and turn on Batman?

If Murphy has a point about the Joker's message, and this isn't just "the masses are such gullible fools, look what they fall for!" claptrap, then I'd be willing to give it a pass. Right now, I'm not sure the direction that Murphy fully intends to move, but "hey, the Batman is driving a huge tank through the city without thinking of consequences!" is certainly not a motive in comic books for people to decide that maybe the Joker is ok after all.

Murphy's story is just taking liberties with the plot, at this point, to expect that the reader is going to believe that a majority of people would ever decide to side with the Joker.

In the first movie, at least the Joker was bribing the people with money to come to his parade.

dogpoet    443

Second movie, Christian.

:tongue:

In the news from NY Comic-Con:

Grant Morrison will be a co-writer of Sideways (Like Lemire's Terrifics book, this is a future spin-off of DC's current Metal event), a book about a new teenaged superhero powered by the Dark Multiverse, alongside Justin Jordan and Dan Didio. I'm guessing that Morrison will only be on for a couple of issues, to help sell the book with his name, and then it'll be 100% Jordan and Didio.

Speaking of Lemire's Terrifics, the book is now featuring Tom Strong in its cast. I'm guessing DC wasn't content with just adding the Watchmen into the main universe when it comes to Alan Moore creations

Christian    735

What?! I thought that Alan Moore owned the America's Best characters.

They better not decide to use Promethea in the DCU.

They must be trying to kill poor Alan Moore. While this would lead to good stories, so I can't imagine DC doing it, they should create an alternate Earth of all Alan Moore characters and give it to Grant Morrison. That would surely do Moore in.

dogpoet    443

No, no, they have Morrison edit the Mooreverse and let Geoff Johns actually write it: that'll really piss him off.

• Like 1

Lou K    1,054
15 hours ago, GottaGetAGrip said:

In the news from NY Comic-Con:

Grant Morrison will be a co-writer of Sideways (Like Lemire's Terrifics book, this is a future spin-off of DC's current Metal event), a book about a new teenaged superhero powered by the Dark Multiverse, alongside Justin Jordan and Dan Didio. I'm guessing that Morrison will only be on for a couple of issues, to help sell the book with his name, and then it'll be 100% Jordan and Didio.

Speaking of Lemire's Terrifics, the book is now featuring Tom Strong in its cast. I'm guessing DC wasn't content with just adding the Watchmen into the main universe when it comes to Alan Moore creations

Shit. I was on the fence about Terrifics...but Tom Strong you say? Always did like that dude. Yeah I am sure Mr. Moore is pissed!