Christian    752

Yeah, but he's just going to keep writing Amazing Spider Man until the day he dies, and that's it.

His Silver Surfer series was so good, but Marvel canceled it, so I lost any interest in Slott's output at Marvel with that.

dogpoet    463

I wonder how G Willow Wilson feels about the fact that she's still not a name writer?

On 11/1/2017 at 4:36 PM, Christian said:

If you'll go up a few pages, you'll see my very positive review of issue #1, and I am still reading it, and it has not made me regret giving it a very positive review for issue #1 as of yet.

Finally got around to picking up the first four issues of Mister Miracle, and yeah, definitely worth the read.  I'm totally invested in the storyline, and I've never really been interested in the Fourth World stuff outside of when Final Crisis was happening.  King and Gerards have definitely got me interested in where the story's going.

Christian    752

I checked at the comic book store for There's Nothing There, Ixnay, after you mentioned it. They only had the first issue available. I did pick that up, since it was only $2. I probably won't have much of an opinion on the book with just the first issue though.

Dog-G. Willow Wilson is a girl. Silly man, girls can't be big names in the comic book world.

They can only write little vanity projects that we men allow them to write.....like Millie the Model. You know, things that girls understand.

Christian    752

The fourth issue of Mister Miracle remains strong. This looks to be one of the best comics for this year. The new issue was very Orwellian.

Also, what's going on with the Young Animals line? Was it suddenly canceled without any notice? It's been a while since any of those books has shipped. The line ended up not being much of a big deal, but it still seems weird that none of the books are shipping.

From what I understand, Doom Patrol keeps getting pushed back further and further on the schedule due to Gerard Way being delayed by other things, but I think an issue DID ship a week or so ago.  Young Animal has that weird DCU crossover event coming next month (or is it January?) as well, with I believe all of the titles returning from hiatus after that's concluded.  Still, though, yeah...that line launched with such fanfare only to be immediately forgotten about it, didn't it?

dogpoet    463

Does it really take that long to write an issue of Doom Patrol the way Way does? He could probably just wipe his arse with twenty pages of copier paper the next time he takes a shit and get something almost as good as his attempts to pastiche Morrison without any of the  insight or panache.

Christian    752

Hey, he's a very famous and busy man. He doesn't have time to write these little funny books. He does that in his spare time, when he gets bored, and wants to remember the good old days when he was reading Garfield in the local paper growing up.

I'm guessing his writing goes something like this, "What will the lyrics of my next My Chemical Romance* album be?" He begins writing, and any unused lyrical verse he comes up with, he thinks, "Man, I can't let this genius go to waste! I'll put it in that comic book I'm writing. I'm sure that's how Grant Morrison did it!".

*Not positive if that band is still a thing or if he's in a different band now. Was never a fan of his music.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised to hear that Way had better things to do than write Doom Patrol monthly, but I was surprised that every other Young Animal book also disappeared.

dogpoet    463

I don't think his band is still going, no.

Christian    752

It says on Wikipedia he has solo projects going on now. I expected he would still be in the music business.

dogpoet    463

I like to imagine he has all of his music biz associates and colleagues around to laugh at the DC Young Animals solicits every month when the Previews catalogue comes out . Perhaps he's recording the hysterical laughter and amused snorting to sample on something...

• Upvote 1

Doomsday Clock #1 (of 12)

The first part of Geoff Johns' "epic" Watchmen meet DC superheroes sequel fanfic. Well, according to Geoff, Rorschach's diary at the end of Watchmen did get published and now the world is in chaos - it's now 1992 and the world is after Ozymandias' head as it teeters to the brink of nuclear war and also it seems that according to Geoff Trump became president 14 years ahead of schedule given two golf references on the same page! There's even a brand-new mysterious Rorschach running around! The only DC superhero that pops up in this issue is Superman at the end, as most of it is dedicated to setting up Geoff's vision of what happened after Watchmen.

It's obvious in the writing that Geoff Johns wants to make this feel like a true Watchmen sequel, the issue even has supplementary in-world materials like the original Watchmen added in the back, but it's also obvious in the writing that Geoff Johns on his best day still isn't Alan Moore. What's here isn't a blatant disaster, but for something that DC has been hyping up for a couple of months now, it just comes and goes. Maybe they should've farmed this out to Grant Morrison, just for double the Moore coronary?

I did have some morbid curiosity to see just how the rest of the series unfolds, but not enough to be compelled to want to buy the next issue over looking up a summary online.

If you're going to buy any DC twelve-issue maxi-series at your shop... eh, I recommend picking up Mister Miracle instead.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    463

I think Moore hates Johns just as much as he does Morrison: he has a butthurt chip on his shoulder over Johns referencing the story that's remembered more for the awesome O'Neill artwork than the script in passing somewhere in his run on Green Lantern. God forbid a writer should draw on a work that draws on Moore the way Moore wrote the work Johns pissed him off by mentioning draws on Gardner Fox, eh?

Christian    752

Yeah, that's no reason to hate Johns. The fact that he's DC's answer to Brian Bendis is a better reason to not like Johns.

Comics books are all about continuity and in-universe references, so if Moore is really pissed off that a story he provided to the DCU canon is being referenced, then he's obviously forgotten everything he ever knew about the world of comic books. I'd be more impressed by these writers who actually have bothered to read and enjoy their past superhero comics, rather than all these new writers who seem like they're embarrassed to be writing a superhero comic book, when they obviously should be writing acclaimed meta-novels referencing War and Peace*.

*Not that the majority of them have the talent to truly do either, mind.

You know, that's the thing about writers like Moore and Morrison, they are obviously head and shoulders above most comic book writers, but they never hid their unadorned love for the history of comics.

DC must be desperate, having two big events going on at once. I have slightly more interest in Dark Nights: Metal than in this one, which is to say that I'll read some of the ancillary books spanning out of Metal, while I have zero interest in "DC milks Watchmen for more money".

Doomsday Clock read to me like a really well-written Watchmen fanfic, like it's only there to show how the writer can reference the original material without adding anything new.  It's Johns writing a Moore pastiche, which is kinda like seeing a monkey drive a car.  Entertaining, but ultimately pointless.

Christian    752

I gave in and read Dark Nights: Metal (issues #1-3 and Batman Lost). It's mindless fun. That's all.

I could just use the above quote, replacing Moore and Johns with Morrison and Snyder, but I'll give Snyder the benefit of the doubt. Snyder is very far from being the writer that Grant Morrison is, and there's just no comparison between the two, so I'll be generous and say that Snyder isn't just writing a "bad imitation of Morrison", but that this is all Snyder.

Two things entered my mind reading the book:

1.)I think someone watched Stranger Things.....

2.)I don't care if Snyder spent 12 issues writing the story, the Court of Owls are not an important part of Batman's back story. Let it go, Snyder.

dogpoet    463

It'll pass, Cristian: remember all of the shite about the Order Of St Dumas stinking up the comics back in the '90s when everybody at DC seemingly forgot that Batman had already set up Dick Grayson as his eventual successor back in the '40s?

Even though I'm not much of a fan of the character, I broke down and read James Robinson's run-so-far on Wonder Woman.  I'm a rather large Robinson fan, even his dodgy stuff is usually at least interesting on some level, but his Wonder Woman is just extremely...pedestrian?  boring?  unremarkable?  I'm not sure what term fits it best, but there's nothing about it that yells "you should read this!", especially coming on the heels of the fantastic movie.  

• Like 1

Christian    752

Most of Robinson's work at Marvel has fit in to the catergory.

Scarlet Witch is the only book at Marvel that you got the feeling he wanted to write, instead of something that editorial placed him on.

Let's not even mention Justice League: Cry for Justice, which I was actually embarrassed for the writer. That doesn't happen often. I wanted to "Cry...Yes, I do. I want to.....Cry for Justice!" after reading that book.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, wow, Cry For Justice was nigh-unreadable and really made me wonder what happened to Robinson since the end of Starman.  Maybe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen fucked him up worse than people thought?  I DID enjoy his run on Justice League of America proper, though, and I thought he had a groove going with a pretty unique cast when the New 52 pulled the series out from under him.

dogpoet    463

As far as the New 52 goes, that one shot with the alien Starman, Rex the Wonder Dog, Animal Man and various gorillas was great fun as well.

Christian    752

Was that the Starman/Congorilla one-shot? I'm pretty sure that was before the New 52 happened. I think it was an epilogue story to the Robinson JLA run Ixnay was talking about, before the DCU reboot. That was a fun story though.

That was a one-shot that came out during Robinson's JLA run.  Starman and Congorilla had been absent from the ongoing series for a few issues, so that one-shot showed what they were up to while the rest of the League was fighting (I believe) the Crime Syndicate.  But yeah, good story, marred only slightly by some really dodgy Brett Booth artwork.

dogpoet    463

It must have come out earlier than I thought, then. My mistake.