A. Heathen

DC Comics

Christian    805

Exit Stage Left #1-Mark Russell does it again! I thought that after the near-masterpiece that was his version of the Flintstones that his Snagglepuss could only end up a disappointment.

As I read it, I pondered whether this was shaping up to be even better than his Flintstones. My conclusion upon finishing this first issue is that perhaps he may.

There's quite a bit of historical figures and events in this first issue which wasn't possible with the Flintstones (regardless of the fact that Thorstein Veblen was able to guest-star).

This would probably have to be my comic book pick of 2018, so far. he he

JohnMcMahon    595

I got the two trades collecting Garth Ennis' run on The Demon as Christmas presents and enjoyed them both, serve as a nice prequel to his Hitman series.

dogpoet    496

Did they put those out at the same time as the collection of Kirby's original series, or have they been available for a while?

Christian    805

I decided to look it up. They came out before the Jack Kirby collection. The Ennis collections are from 2015, while the Kirby book is from 2017. DC also released the Wagner 1980s mini-series in a TPB the year before they released the Ennis books.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/12/gerard-ways-young-animal-relaunches-its-core-comic.html

Young Animal - one year later three of the original books are being re-launched and Way's Doom Patrol's perennial delays are pretty much a running gag at this point.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/18/alan-moore-jh-williams-promethea-jla/

Seems Christian was right in this thread when he speculated that DC was trying to kill Alan Moore... because now it looks like Promethea is being added to the DC Universe as well!

Christian    805

Oh, that is just sad. I will not be reading that.

"What's that? You say you want to travel along the sephirah from Malkhut to Keter, immanentize the eschaton, and reveal the Ein Sof? Well, ok, but we were just going to punch the Injustice League."

dogpoet    496
17 hours ago, GottaGetAGrip said:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/12/gerard-ways-young-animal-relaunches-its-core-comic.html

Young Animal - one year later three of the original books are being re-launched and Way's Doom Patrol's perennial delays are pretty much a running gag at this point.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/18/alan-moore-jh-williams-promethea-jla/

Seems Christian was right in this thread when he speculated that DC was trying to kill Alan Moore... because now it looks like Promethea is being added to the DC Universe as well!

uozW1uL.gif

A. Heathen    1,170

Sorry if this is painful to admit, but Doomsday Clock is well written and lovely to look at.

And OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED STEWART LEE ! THE BASTARDS!

27024219_10159909559005123_8407151936086

dogpoet    496

I wonder if Lee was in on that? I think he suggested his cameo in an issue of the Hulk to the writer...

dogpoet    496

Mister Miracle continues to improve: there's a very nice cliffhanger indeed on the end of issue six, a lovely neologism (that stunningly, nobody seems to have thought of before) introduced in passing, and a whole issue's worth of banter between Scott and Barda that could well be a deliberate tip of the hat to the domestic stuff in the '80s Dematteis run. A lovely comic of a series that's likely going to make the best collection to be issued this year as well.

The Wildstorm is more Ellis-y, but still a fun read. The fact that this is Ellis setting up his late '90s revisions of the original Wildstorm universe as the new baseline for the current set up is still being aggressively flaunted, but it feels a lot more natural and less retconny-y this time. The Doctor and Jenny Sparks hit it off (Vertigo style) and discuss finding a few other free agents to stop the brewing war between Stormwatch and IO trashing the planet and most of its population. I'm assuming that as Jenny is now an Asian babe of Chinese descent, Swift will be revamped as Tamara Beckwith with wings for this version...

Christian    805

It seems as if it will be very hard to top Mr. Miracle, Exit Stage Left, and Koschei for the best comics of 2018.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:32 PM, dogpoet said:

Mister Miracle continues to improve: there's a very nice cliffhanger indeed on the end of issue six, a lovely neologism (that stunningly, nobody seems to have thought of before) introduced in passing, and a whole issue's worth of banter between Scott and Barda that could well be a deliberate tip of the hat to the domestic stuff in the '80s Dematteis run. A lovely comic of a series that's likely going to make the best collection to be issued this year as well.

The Wildstorm is more Ellis-y, but still a fun read. The fact that this is Ellis setting up his late '90s revisions of the original Wildstorm universe as the new baseline for the current set up is still being aggressively flaunted, but it feels a lot more natural and less retconny-y this time. The Doctor and Jenny Sparks hit it off (Vertigo style) and discuss finding a few other free agents to stop the brewing war between Stormwatch and IO trashing the planet and most of its population. I'm assuming that as Jenny is now an Asian babe of Chinese descent, Swift will be revamped as Tamara Beckwith with wings for this version...

It makes me wonder if Ellis is going to be allowed to use Midnighter and Apollo in The Wildstorm, since they've been making DCU appearances as recently as last year.  None of the other Wildstorm characters have made a peep in the DCU since Ellis' book began, other than those two, so will they be off-limits?  I mean, surely not since Ellis fucking created those two characters, but who knows with DC?

dogpoet    496

That's an interesting point, but as this comic isn't taking place in the DCU, Ellis could probably use his own versions anyway. Maybe those guys are still being used elsewhere as they're not part of Ellis' plans for this series?

Christian    805

Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt was without a doubt the best installment of the Dark Nights: Metal event. It's just written totally differently, with Morrison's in-put. For fans of Morrison, the story references Multiversity and 52 (the weekly series on which Morrison was one of the writers).

Plus, better yet, it allowed Morrison to write Detective Chimp.

I'm not sure how well this would read to someone who had no idea of the events leading up to this point with Dark Nights: Metal....at the very least, I'm sure the reader would be confused about the identity of the villains, most likely. It's also nowhere near a self-contained story, as it continues directly in to the finale.

I had read prior installments of this event, so I could follow the story.

Still, I had fun reading this story, and it might almost have redeemed the middling prior attempt at writing hypertext cosmic madness on Snyder's part, which reads very poorly next to Morrison.

A. Heathen    1,170
On 2/8/2018 at 4:12 PM, Christian said:

It seems as if it will be very hard to top Mr. Miracle, Exit Stage Left, and Koschei for the best comics of 2018.

I have taken your advice on Mr Miracle.

I also glanced at the page in the Antimethea comic where she appears and thought I might vomit.

Are we to assume that some people who make decisions about comics are idiots?

On the bright side, a quick survey of the current DC Roster tells me that I am enjoying the silly crossover with the new Vertigfaux comics by Daniel Way and his friends.
Young Monsters in Love and Swamp Thing winter specials were nice. And Mystik U turns out to be a decent YA comic with a crap name.
I might give Neal Adams' Deadman a go when it is collected.

And I loved the classic Pieta cover of Batman and Clayface, but not enough to buy the innards of the comic.

DTC_Cv974_5a7cd5352af715.19452950.jpg?it
(There are some lovely covers on bad DC comics right now, aren't there?)

I will be buying Liam Sharp's nice work
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/the-brave-and-the-bold-batman-and-wonder-woman-2018/the-brave-and-the-bold-batman-and-wonder

dogpoet    496
4 hours ago, A. Heathen said:

There are some lovely covers on bad DC comics right now, aren't there?

That there are, but it's a long term approach by now. It's been going on since the New 52 at least.

Lou K    1,097

reading Dial H for Hero from the Nu52 once more before I chuck it in the bin and this first arc is pretty damn good. Sure did love the Squid and the void people. I seem to recall the series going a bit down hill after that.

dogpoet    496

It was pretty hard to follow that as an opening, to be fair.

Christian    805

Man, Jeff Lemire is quite simply amazing. I believe he had four comics come out this week, and he has a new book coming out from Image next week too. Beyond the quantity, though, is the fact that they're all excellent reads. Lemire has written top-quality comic books in the past, but this year may mark a career pinnacle for Lemire. I can't see him keeping going at this level for too long, because that would be simply impossible....wouldn't it?

Starting out with his contribution to DC Comics (and his lesser work based on the quality of all his other current comics), Terrifics #1-I wouldn't exactly say the comic was "terrific", but it was well worth a read, and could easily move in to stronger territory with coming issues. The first issue was strong enough to keep me reading.

The Tom Strong debut was handled well, and wasn't jarring. I could see this series fitting in with the Tom Strong comic book.

Moving on to Doctor Star #1....which I realize is a Dark Horse comic (spinning off his Black Hammer book)....but, you'll see why it fits well with a DC thread. Lemire is lovingly writing a pastiche of the stellar work (see what I did there?) that James Robinson did with the Golden Age Starman. Even the character of Doctor Solar's civilian identity is "Dr. James Robinson".

Lemire is writing a Golden Age story set in his Black Hammer universe which  easily fits in with Robinson's Starman.

• Like 1

A. Heathen    1,170

I was thinking, reading your first paragraph, how it reminds me of the Golden Age (lol) of Kurt Busiek, whose Astro City took on some of his ideas that didn't fit at the big two and has become a much better thing. Obviously Lemire had to do a bit more work before he could get to Black Hammer, but you're right that it fits nicely here.

I can't remember the last time my top 5 comics did not include work by Lemire.

Think I'll pop into the comic shop when I venture to Snowbound Harrow later to purchase cold alleviating medicines (which I cannot mention by name as it's also a Marvel character) 

Lou K    1,097
10 hours ago, Christian said:

Man, Jeff Lemire is quite simply amazing. I believe he had four comics come out this week, and he has a new book coming out from Image next week too.

What am I missing? We have Terrifics, Royal City, Dr Starr...and Gideon Falls next week, right? Am I missing a title?