A. Heathen

DC Comics

Christian    776

OK, no. I guess it was three books this week and one next week, for a total of four. Still very impressive.

Lou K    1,080

Yeah, he is on a tear. I'll have to go back and finish Trillium. I wanted to get all the issues so I can read it all at once but the first couple issues were good reads.

I thought it was pretty cool in Royal City that Patrick's wife was cast in what looked to be Trillium the movie.

http://ew.com/books/2018/03/01/neil-gaiman-sandman-universe-comics/

DC is launching a "Sandman Universe" line of comics - overseen by Neil, but the four books will written by different creative teams.

The books are:

House of Whispers by Nalo Hopkinson

Books of Magic by Kat Howard

The Dreaming by Si Spurrier

Lucifer by Dan Watters

No announced artists yet.

Christian    776

Why isn't DC waiting for their Vertigo renaissance? All of these books should be what Vertigo is launching as their first wave.

Ugh. Lucifer, again?

I'll definitely be reading Si Spurrier's The Dreaming. That sounds mad.

Nalo Hopkinson writing a comic book is interesting. Her prose fiction is very good, so I'll check out the first issue of her book.

Those are the two I have interest.

dogpoet    483

I thought Vertigo had finally given up on milking the Sandman when it's tits fell off a few years back?

Either the imprint is in big trouble or Gaiman thinks that humouring them and writing a few series bibles (or whatever they call the things) will keep Daniel out of the JLA.

Or both: the two aren't mutually exclusive, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,080

I doubt that I keep up with Terrifics. Aside from Tom Strong it's juts characters I don't care about stemming from an arc I never will read so maybe if it's traded and gets good word of mouth I'll give it a go. First issue just did not grab me.

Christian    776

Yeah, the characters really aren't being written in all that interesting a manner. I didn't feel the artwork totally fit with the tone of the series either. It's fine art, but it didn't give me a feel of a cosmic plot with big ideas.

I noticed that Lemire is trying to appeal to memories of FF, with Metamorpho (standing in for Ben Grimm) and Plastic Man (who is the defacto Johnny Storm stand-in) arguing with each other, with Mr. Terrific (aka Mr. Fantastic, without the same powers) being the voice of reason.

I found that aspect to be pretty forced. Using ideas that fans think of with the FF is perfectly appealing (exploring the Multiverse, etc.), but trying to make it so that random DC characters are simple archetypes of the Lee and Kirby creations is really trying to push matters too far.

However, I did read most of Dark Nights: Metal, so maybe the comic works better being familiar with the prior material.

Lemire isn't always at his best working with established superhero characters. His work at Marvel was very hit or miss, and let's not forget the horrible mess of his Justice League Dark and (brief) run on Constantine. His creator owned work has always been some of the best work being done in comics at the time though.

I think Terrifics may have possibilities and am willing to stick with it longer, as not all of Lemire's "mainstream" work ends up as a failure.

• Like 1

JasonT    449
7 hours ago, Lou K said:

I doubt that I keep up with Terrifics. Aside from Tom Strong it's juts characters I don't care about stemming from an arc I never will read so maybe if it's traded and gets good word of mouth I'll give it a go. First issue just did not grab me.

+1.

Were we supposed to notice the parallels to the Fantastic Four or not? :shrug:

I certainly noticed Ivan Reis' parallels to Neal Adams. :smile:

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,159

Im not that fussed with Terrific Comics.

The Milk Wars thing manages to channel the bonkers parts of Doom Patrol after Morrison and sends to the Justice League in a very droll manner (though I am about to read the Batman one and might be seeking compensation for Rick Veitch judging by that cover).

Enjoyable.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-black-label-imprint-unveiled-1092933?utm_source=twitter

DC unveils yet another new imprint: "Black Label" -> out of continuity, creator-driven takes. Looks like the return of Elseworlds/another shot at the All-Star line.

The books announced:

Superman Year One by Frank Miller/JRJR :puke:

Batman: Last Knight on Earth by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo

Batman: Damned by Azzarello and Bermejo. A Batman and John Constantine team-up story. Oh boy I hope this is Ashes & Dust 2.0! :boogie:

Wonder Woman Historia by Kelly Sue Deconnick and Phil Jiminez

Wonder Woman Diana's Daughter by Greg Rucka

The Other History of the DC Universe by John Ridley - the history of the DCU from the perspective of its minority heroes.

Dave    277

Damned seems like an opportunity to bring back the proper Vertigo Constantine, at least.

I'm only interested in Damned if Constantine gives Batman proper dog-fucking etiquette.  I have a very specific fetish.  

• Upvote 1

Christian    776

I'm interested to see what The Other History of the DC Universe will be like; otherwise, I'm not going to buy any of the others.

I wouldn't mind seeing Marvel do something like this, just because I'm a Marvel fanatic, and I'd like to see all of their obscure heroes get a chance to be used somewhat decently.

I mean, who wouldn't want to see what Arabian Knight's perspective would be on events from Marvel history?

:laugh:

Incredible Hulk #257

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    483

Arabian Knight is in the superhumans annex of Guatanamo Bay, Christian: his opinion about anything is doubtless inherently wrong.

Was he really not dragged out again as a terrorist villain during the mid '80s when Libyans and Syrians were inhuman terrorist villains, rather than oppressed victims striving to be freed from daesh?

Christian    776

He was introduced in the early-1980s by Bill Mantlo as a superhero. He was never used as a villain, just a stereotype. Perhaps the fact that he was from Saudi Arabia did the trick, considering that theocratic monarchies that give no rights to women or gays are a-ok as long as they're involved with petro-dollars.

"Arabian Knight? He sounds scary! Is he from Libya?" "No, he's from Saudi Arabia." "Oh, well, I guess that's ok then. The media hasn't told me any scary sounding blurbs with the Saudis invoked, so that's not so scary."

Although, that didn't stop Englehart from creating a Saudi villain during his run on Fantastic Four....which, let's just say the less said about that one, the better. Not because it presented an oil sheik as a villain, but just because it was latter-day Englehart writing a really embarrassing run on FF.

dogpoet    483

My bad: I didn't realise he was a saudi, and as such incapable of even thinking about terrorism. :wink2:

Apart from Mark Waid, are there any non-embarrassing runs on FF this century?

JohnMcMahon    586

Constantine moves to DCU.

Introduce mature-focused DCU imprint.

C'mon now, we're not asking for much, four issues of Hellblazer a year from a creative team with something to say and some gratuitous swearing thrown in cause we're all broke inside and that's how we speak now.

• Like 3

A. Heathen    1,159

Just got to the Swamp Thing one. 4th episode.

So Superman is Milkman Man (milk is at the core of the Evil RetConn plot); Wonder Woman is Wonder Wife; Batman is Father Bruce. 

The first issue being Doom Patrol worked for me. I quite liked  the peril of WW being solved by multiple persona of Shade TCW, and the orphan kids being turned into Kid Wonder furry-inspired sidekicks was priceless.

Not so keen on Mother Panic as a character though.

Amusing series of crossover so far 

Well in line with the news that Scott Snyder would be taking over as the Justice League writer, his sidekick James Tynion will be the writer of a new Justice League Dark book.

Tynion promises via Twitter that this'll be the scariest book to ever bear the title Justice League, but based on his track record, that phrase has more than one meaning!

Announced roster is: Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Man-Bat and Wonder Woman. With John Constantine and Doctor Fate confirmed to play big roles as well.

I suppose we'll see with this just how much of Constantine The Hellblazer's faults were on him. Oh no... what if Constantine The Heckblazer was just Tynion's warm-up for his true magic magnum opus?

dogpoet    483
10 hours ago, GottaGetAGrip said:

Well in line with the news that Scott Snyder would be taking over as the Justice League writer, his sidekick James Tynion will be the writer of a new Justice League Dark book.

Tynion promises via Twitter that this'll be the scariest book to ever bear the title Justice League, but based on his track record, that phrase has more than one meaning!

Announced roster is: Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Man-Bat and Wonder Woman. With John Constantine and Doctor Fate confirmed to play big roles as well.

I suppose we'll see with this just how much of Constantine The Hellblazer's faults were on him. Oh no... what if Constantine The Heckblazer was just Tynion's warm-up for his true magic magnum opus?

So this is going to be Justice League: Shadowpact?