A. Heathen

DC Comics

Dave    284

Oh man, the recycle bin. Maybe give them to the library or a HS art teacher or something. 

Yeah, the Losers was a good read at the time, but it's not something I could see holding up for repeated read-throughs.  I did really get a kick out of the movie, though, mainly due to the amazing cast.

Lou K    1,098

Yeah, I am sort of at a loss here on much of this stuff. Worthless on eBay, perhaps a little too adult for the young ones (I did unload a bunch on Charlie's kid, but I think that stack is still being read through, I'll have to ask), taking up space in my basement...I just want someone to enjoy them once again before they meet their inevitable demise, and I guess that someone could be me. I am still sorting through Pissgate, so some things are destined for the trash no matter what. Most things can be salvaged. But then I look at them like 'why did I ever buy this?'  

I am also not buying as much as I used to, thanks to space and budget (I have thousands and thousands of comics). Not worth it at $4/$5 a pop. Hell, giving a title a 6 issue chance is more than just buying the eventual trade. And just about everything is traded these days.

Lou K    1,098
1 minute ago, Ixnay by Night said:

Yeah, the Losers was a good read at the time, but it's not something I could see holding up for repeated read-throughs.  I did really get a kick out of the movie, though, mainly due to the amazing cast.

I do want to see this.

dogpoet    498

The film's definitely worth seeing, but they made a point of toning down some stuff down in a way that pisses purists off. The stuff you'd expect, mostly.

In the film, Ayesha's the daughter of a Columbian drug lord, rather than an Afghani warlord/terrorist ringleader. Wusses.

:wink2:

Christian    807

Yeah, comics are horrible for taking up space. I'm not sure how collector's manage to find enough space, unless they have a nice-sized house with lots of rooms.

Getting a number of new comic books every week really eats up spare room pretty quickly after a while. I don't mind how much room all my Silver and Bronze Age comics take up, but it's a question of what do you do with all the comics you buy new each week. I just store them all in boxes, and then all the boxes just pile up on the floor.

I'm quickly running out of space, myself.

I found a closet I could clean out and I'm stacking boxes in that closet now.

I had to get rid of some of my comics which I didn't really care about recently, due to running out of space.

If I were you, I might try to either donate them to a local comic book store, or maybe see if they'll give you some sort of trade, like maybe $5 off your total.

I can't see a comic store turning down free comics, and then it's the comic store owners problem.

The other option is if there is a local flea market or something similar near you, that has a guy who is a comic back-issue dealer. That's what I did with my comics. The guy there actually gave me a pretty good deal, which surprised me. He bought the comics for a dollar a book, and it wasn't anything of real value. The comics would never have sold on EBay, or anything. I managed to make $120 on that day, which was more than I ever expected to make on some of my extraneous comics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lou K    1,098
17 minutes ago, Christian said:

Yeah, comics are horrible for taking up space. I'm not sure how collector's manage to find enough space, unless they have a nice-sized house with lots of rooms.

Add to that I just can't get on board with digital. But, yeah, I have a sizeable house and a large basement and a soon to be three year old hahaha. Plus, action figures. Hundreds and hundreds of action figures.

But the 'must have' stuff stays, the good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Christian    807

No, I don't have any interest in reading books or comics on a computer either.

I have so many books and comic books that some rooms are almost covered in stacks of books and comics on the floor, and you have to tiptoe around to get across the room. It's just gotten pretty out of control.

A bookshelf I was keeping books and some TPBs stored on collapsed last Summer. I decided to start cleaning out some of the stuff I didn't want and donating it to the library. It seemed like I donated hundreds of books and TPBs (ones I had almost forgotten I'd even bought), and it seemed to not even make a dent in my collection. Then, I started buying more and more books too.

• Upvote 1

Dave    284
10 hours ago, A. Heathen said:

If you don't know anyone who wants comics, you should use them to cut up and make art from.

http://theinspirationgrid.com/comic-book-collages-by-mike-alcantara/

This sort of thing is what I was thinking of when I suggested a High School art teacher. I had a bunch of old Boys Lifes I unloaded that way.

• Upvote 1

JasonT    456
On 10/04/2018 at 11:14 PM, Lou K said:

I am still sorting through Pissgate, so some things are destined for the trash no matter what. ...

:blink:  What did I miss?

And have you thought of donating your funnybooks to a charity store?

JasonT    456
On 04/01/2018 at 10:46 AM, Christian said:

Exit Stage Left #1-Mark Russell does it again! I thought that after the near-masterpiece that was his version of the Flintstones that his Snagglepuss could only end up a disappointment.

As I read it, I pondered whether this was shaping up to be even better than his Flintstones. My conclusion upon finishing this first issue is that perhaps he may. ...

This would probably have to be my comic book pick of 2018, so far. he he

Same here. Four issues have come out (badoom-tish) so far and I can't wait for the fifth. It's a wonderful work of art.

Lou K    1,098

My cat Shmoo was slowly dying and unbeknownst to me one of her last acts was to piss on a few long boxes of comics. Yes, I have so many long boxes that a few can be pissed on and I wouldn't even know. Her death piss was somehow thrice as pungent as regular cat piss, it was awful. So as I am going around trying to salvage stuff (still doing it too) I began to get very frustrated, throwing stuff out, replacing some things with TPBs. Then I just started throwing everything out, like, 'Why do I even have this? Why did I buy this?' and once you start getting rid of possessions it gets kind of addictive (especially when you sell hard to find action figures on eBay for a premium), kind of liberating. So I figured, chuck it, chuck it all. But then I wanted someone to enjoy it as well, you know? So Charlie's kid got a lot of the superhero-ish stuff. But I feel weird donating stuff that has some hard core adult content in it. Can't have that go into the wrong hands. I thought about a 'Free Comics; You Pay Shipping' thread here but the cost of international shipping is fucking rough. So, I have these little 'read and chuck' piles. Read it, maybe enjoy it, maybe not, then chuck it.

• Like 1

Lou K    1,098

Anyways, to keep it on topic, next up is Batman: Scratch and Batman: Secrets by Sam Kieth. These might be staying...love Sam's art.

A. Heathen    1,171
1 hour ago, Lou K said:

Anyways, to keep it on topic, next up is Batman: Scratch and Batman: Secrets by Sam Kieth. These might be staying...love Sam's art.

Classic.

I recently found some gaps in some of my Sam Kieth indie comics.
Maybe they are in the wrong box.

Lou K    1,098

Let me know what you are missing...I may have a copy...

Lou K    1,098

For whatever reason I stopped collecting The Losers at issue 20, which is the first part of the London Calling arc. We just learned what happened at Khyber Pass and we just learned who Aisha's father was, shit is just getting good and I dropped it lol  wtf. So now I am kind of interested in learning how the story ends of a comic book I am likely not to keep around hahaha

dogpoet    498

Halfway through one of the collections, then, Lou? That's not ideal. :wink2:

Lou K    1,098

No indeed it is not. Not sure where my head was at at that time

dogpoet    498

If #20 is the issue I'm thinking of, you might have been thinking: "this pub scene is a rip off of the one in EuroTrip"...

Christian    807

DC Nation #0-Well, that Tom King Batman story was worth the 25 cents! That was a great little Joker short story, tying in to the up-coming Bat-wedding. I haven't been reading King on Batman, but this story worked. It's the best take on the Joker I've seen since Snyder got his hands on him (more on that guy below).

Otherwise, I can't even see myself paying 25 cents for those stories.

The Bendis Superman story definitely did not do anything to make me more interested in reading Brian Bendis Superman stories. I had zero interest beforehand, and I continue to not have any interest in reading anymore Bendis on Superman.

The Snyder Justice League prologue was just a mess. I read Dark Nights: Metal (yes, it was a mistake, outside of the Morrison written issue), and I still found this impenetrable garbage. I don't know why DC is allowing Snyder to take control of their Justice League franchise, but he seems to have made a royal mess of it.

I'm glad Bendis and Snyder are staying away from Marvel. I'm glad that King is being allowed the freedom to tell his Mister Miracle story for DC.

Justice League: No Justice

This was a weekly mini published this month, written by Scott Snyder (Tynion and Josh Williamson, writers of the other two upcoming Justice League books - Dark and the space-themed Odyssey, have story credits) that functioned as a prelude to his Justice League run.

The gist is that Superman villain Brainiac recruits the Justice League (except for Aquaman cause I guess there's no fish in space) to stop the "Omega Titans" from destroying his homeworld. The League gets split up into special color-coded and themed teams (if you ever wondered what Etrigan and Dr. Fate looked like running around in purple, yay), with various supervillains and b-listers joining their ranks. There's more to it, I suppose, but I found it hard to care what was happening.

A series that features a mish-mash of characters forming impromptu leagues to stop giant celestial types from destroying the Earth shouldn't have been this dull. Feels like Snyder & co. just going through the motions - ideas are thrown about, characters are sprawled across the page, but the whole package just feels underutilized and underdeveloped. Francis Manapul & the other artists (Marcus To and Riley Rossmo) do their best to liven things up, but really it just feels like an overglorified advert for their upcoming Justice League books.

(rolled my eyes quite a bit at a conversation Wonder Woman and Zatanna had in the final issue, where the writers have them use the work DARK a couple times in conversation to remind you that they'll be in the upcoming JLD relaunch)

Christian    807

Yeah, I'm adding Snyder to the list of Brian Bendis and Geoff Jones, as over-hyped sub-par talent that I no longer have any interest in reading. I'm glad I can blacklist them all together at DC Comics now.

Snyder captured magic in a bottle with his initial work on Batman, and it's been all hype and "fanboys" afterward.

Tynion is just all-around awful. The quicker he disappears from comics and is forgotten forever, the better. He's a DC fall-to-guy of the moment getting his 15 minutes of fame, and he'll fade away and people will ask, "Tynion who?" in a few, short years. I've seen them come and go multiple times.

• Upvote 1