A. Heathen

DC Comics

A. Heathen    1,171

Christian is TYNION SLAMMISTER !

My DCU seems to be Miracle Man and The Watchmen ("LOL")

Oh I might give Catwoman a go because the preview art looks gorgeous

Christian    807

I am solely reading Mr. Miracle and Exit Stage Left from DC currently. If Exit Stage Left counts as "DC", and besides, the final issue is shipping next week. Still, a really great series. If DC can't do superheroes or Hellblazer correctly, at least they have the Snaggelpuss market cornered.

• Upvote 1

Christian    807

Can Mark Russell make it three for three? This August, he writes the Lex Luthor/Porky Pig Special. A down-on-his-luck Porky Pig takes a job with LexCorp, and works his way up the business ladder. However, when LexCorp is being investigated for corruption charges, Luthor decides to sacrifice a pig. Sounds like it could be another hit for Russell.

Christian    807

And, yes, Exit Stage Left had the perfect ending. That last letter from Huckleberry Hound was simply beautiful and heart-rending. Who knew you could get so much emotion out of a pink lion and a blue hounddog with a southern accent?

Definitely one for the "best of the year" catergory.

• Upvote 1

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/06/07/dc-entertainment-announces-vertigo-returns-to-its-roots-with-a-line-wide-relaunch?adid=dchero2_Vertigo-Returns-to-its-Roots

So the Vertigo relaunch is official and the announced line-up is um... overall, eh...

Just seems to be the same thing Vertigo's been doing for the past few years, creator owned books that'll probably release to little fanfare and last for half a year, maybe a whole year if lucky.

Mark Russell does have a Jesus book called "Second Coming" in there, so I imagine Christian might get some mileage out of that one.

DfGxFi8UcAEcnDQ.jpg

Christian    807

Hopefully, Russell will be respectful to Jesus' message and teaching. Lord knows (see what I did there?), we need more people pointing out how far Christianity has fallen from Jesus' actual teachings. I just hope Russell respects those actual traditions.

I mean, not that I'm someone who would be offended by something like that. It's just that I'd rather read something that actually speaks "Truth to power". I probably wouldn't keep reading it if it ended up as something akin to Punk Rock Jesus' vapid interpretations.

Anyway, since it's written by Russell, it is a guaranteed first issue buy.

Otherwise, yeah, this is underwhelming even by my standards of "this Vertigo relaunch will end up disappointing anyone who expects a return to mid-1990s levels of creativity".

Second Coming is the only book I have any interest in reading.

It does look like they just got a bunch of books that Vertigo would have published anyway, throughout a 12-month period, and said, "Hey, let's just launch them all at one time and call it the big Vertigo comeback!". I can't see any of these books lasting, and most of them will probably end up being mini-series, and I'm sure everyone will have forgotten about Vertigo again by the following month.

Image is doing all of this so much better.

A. Heathen    1,171

How many Jesus comics are there now?
Do any of them do better than The One?

Tom King's next limited series has been announced: Heroes in Crisis -> a murder mystery exploring the emotional cost of heroism.

I'm a fan of King's writing but that murder mystery angle is kind of rubbing me the wrong way. Last time DC did that we got Identity Crisis so I'm hoping that this doesn't turn out to be Identity Crisis 2.0!

JasonT    456

Snagglepuss: Exit Stage Left actually turned it up a notch in its final issue. (When it went meta it blew my mind.) It's an easy best of 2018 for me.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Snagglepuss did not go where I was expecting in that final issue.  Brilliant mini-series on the whole, though I can't imagine what the approval process Hanna Barbara must have in place for their comic adaptations.  "Flintstones as social commentary?  Sold!  Snagglepuss as a look back at McCarthyism?  Go for it!"  At this rate, the inevitable Captain Caveman series will be the next Dark Knight Returns.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    498

Just gone through that Mystik U thing. Pretty quick read, but rather fun, even if the contrivance to shoehorn Zatanna into teen angst story takes up most of the first issue and the whole thing seems to have been setting up a series that hasn't appeared as yet.

I read the first two issues of Mystik U but didn't bother with the third.  It was okay, nothing special but not offensively bad either.  I doubt we'll see any kind of series spinning off from it, wasn't it a relic from the DC You relaunch that brought us such classics as the Ming Doyle Constantine and rock star Black Canary?  I'm surprised Mystik U got published at all, to be honest.

dogpoet    498

So am I, but if it's got Zatanna in it, it's more worth a look than slightly pompous Harry Potter rip off would normally be...

:wink2:

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    498

Actually, now I think about it more, the end was a rip off the original Buffy film rather than Harry Potter, as

it ends with Zatanna and the gothed-up Felix Faust riding off into the sunset together on a motorbike looking for trouble, like Kirsty Swanson and him out of 90210 did

Christian    807

No one has mentioned anything about the Big Two's "wedding of the century" events. I mean, I don't blame anyone for ignoring the hype.

I can't really comment on the DC version, as I didn't read it, but I did read the spoilers. What stood out to me is that I know the issue sold really well. My local comic book store sold out of their copies within a few hours, and they ordered a good amount (I think the owner said 40). I'm guessing that a lot of people bought the book based on the idea that it was going to be a hot collector's item issue that they could resale on EBay soon. I'm guessing they're going to be disappointed, as nothing of note actually happened in the comic. It's hard to market a comic with "nothing actually happens in this issue".

Marvel's version, on the other hand, I did read in the X-Men issue. It featured a bait and switch. That issue didn't sell anywhere near as well as the Batman issue.

I just found it funny that both of the Big Two marketed a comic as the "wedding of the century" and both failed to deliver on the promise of said set-up for their story.

Not that Colossus and Kitty getting married was ever going to be a "wedding of the century", mind.

Lou K    1,098

I don't want to read comics about people getting married.

I want to read comics about people getting their heads punched clean off their shoulders.

• Upvote 3

Christian    807

But....But....Where's the love, Lou? The love!

You're right though, superheroes getting married is icky. I like it when you have a manly man doing his job with a bunch of other guys in tight outfits, and you have some simple-minded female outsider who is always trying to get with the guy, and the guy is like, "No way, sweetheart! I'm going to go hang out with a bunch of other sweaty, muscly men....and maybe even a few underage boys in tight outfits too!". Wait....is this sounding somehow homoerotic on my part?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christian    807

Remember how good Hellblazer was when John Constantine was bisexual, before he got married to that chick? Marriages ruin everything! Good thing Batman got out of that tricky trap.

• Upvote 2

A. Heathen    1,171

I really liked the Batman one, but then I read it as a #0 for Catwoman.

And also I recently split up from someone for exactly the same reasons as Catwoman.

Christian    807

Dressed up like a bat and had daddy issues? I can understand.

The X-Men one wasn't horrible either. It was just the whole nature of the bait and switch. It ended up as a preview for an upcoming comic series also. One that I probably won't be bothering to read.

I enjoyed Batman #50 too (though I wish the guest artists had drawn more interesting things than generic pin-ups for the most part) but yeah, DC really shot themselves in the foot by promoting it as a major event. With all the retailer exclusive variants and tie-in one-shots they were pumping out, their marketing pretty much set it up as something that was going to happen... voila, this month's comics PR disaster.

(I wonder if they deliberately had the NY Times spoil the outcome in an attempt to lessen the backlash?)

DC even solicited a wedding album that has yet to be released... that's going to be rather awkward to sell now.

Perhaps Batman should just take a break from women for now... they always just end breaking his heart or giving him bratty offspring (and later offing those offspring with an evil clone of said offspring). Maybe what Bats really needs is just a big strong super man's shoulder to cry on.

Maybe this is why DC has brought back Superman's underwear on the outside look... he's just trying to get Batman's attention! Oh my, perhaps this is what those "Bendis is Coming" advertisements were really referring to...

Christian    807

Bendis is coming all over at the thought of Superman and Batman together at last!

The wedding album awkward to sell? Hell, talk about awkward to make! There was Batman, crying in to his cape, saying that no one will ever love him and Selina is just like his mommy and daddy....and everyone was just standing there, looking really uncomfortable. There was no bride anywhere to be found for pictures. Batman's ex-wife Batwoman and estranged daughter Huntress were there for most of the pictures. Batman kept claiming he didn't invite Huntress and that she wasn't really his daughter, "something, something about a Crisis". Several people in attendance kept whispering, "Beard!" about Batwoman....It was a real mess.

• Like 2

Batman #51 had some very great art by Lee Weeks (colors by Elizabeth Breitweiser, who colors all those Brubaker/Phillips books). Very reminiscent of Gotham Central.

The story itself is an interesting concept. Bruce Wayne is forced to examine his actions as an angry post-wedding Batman when he is placed on jury duty Mr. Freeze accuses Batman of Bat-Brutality. The rest of the jury wants to quickly give Freeze the guilty verdict because who wants to do jury duty but that nasty Mr. Wayne feels the need to question his hobby of roughing up other men. Though one questions how exactly Bruce was selected as a juror since Batman, Inc. should still be in canon and you don't get more biased than publicly funding a global Batman super-team.

Eh, when has law in Gotham ever resembled the real thing or displayed a shred of competency?

In more important news: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/19/the-green-lantern-relaunch-by-grant-morrison-and-liam-sharp-focuses-on-hal-jordans-life-as-a-space-cop

Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp on Green Lantern is confirmed after months of rumor!