A. Heathen

DC Comics

If it was a hanging, people would be pulling on its legs by now, wouldn't they?

Well, it certainly looks like the book will be going in an interesting direction, based on the latest issue.

The current issue of Wonder Twins is kind of disjointed. I'm not sure if it was due to Russell originally thinking Wonder Twins was going to be an on-going series, and later discovering it was canceled at six issues, so he was rushing to do a wrap up for the series; or if he found out that the six issues was now extended to twelve, and he'd have more room for a larger story to be told with the book. Either way, the plot moves in to a very socio-political direction, and looks like the book is going to be improving to another potential "comic of the year" nomination for a Mark Russell series.

Also of note is that Russell will be writing the Sinestro "Year of the Villains" special.

Well, what's rumor is now reality: DC will officially be closing Vertigo (along with its two newer young-adult and kids oriented imprints of DC Ink and Zoom) and rebranding their books with a new age rating system in 2020. Black Label will survive as the name of DC's rating for its 17-and-up aimed books, as will the smaller creator-curated imprints such as Way's Young Animals.

I'll do my best to remember Vertigo's highs, rather than what it became at the very end.

(hours later, I find out that DC has announced several upcoming graphic novels for the young adult and kid readers, among them what sounds like a kid Constantine novel by Ryan North, who wrote Marvel's Squirrel Girl comic. I wonder if this will end up with some kid enjoying it, asking their parents to get them more Constantine, and Mom & Dad accidentally gift 'em a copy of Ennis' "knifed in the nards" Hellblazer or Ellis' "you kids are getting shot cause you wanna be shot" Hellblazer :boogie:)

• Upvote 1

.....😑 between Alan Horn (the WB exec who killed DC by screwing over the inprint and bringing in Dan DiDio who's now running a Live Action Remake Mill*) and Tom Rothman (his own exec meddling during same 12 years at Fox as Horn's tenure at the WB), I wish neither fucker made it as far they did; especially Horn. He got his wish far as turning DC into the branding wasteland and nothing gets spared.

We know what they'll pump out with Black Label will be only Capes so the likes of Miller and Azz can get more work. DC is dead to me

Mark my words, the only TPBs for our John they'll put out is the New 52/DCYou/Rebirth material and the stuff we enjoyed will suffer the same fate Paul Jenkins' run did for a long time (til 2014)

*might as well call the House of Mouse that anyway outside of Marvel 

https://ew.com/books/2019/06/26/joe-hill-dc-comics-hill-house/

Even with Vertigo dead, DC isn't letting up on their smaller imprints, as they've just announced that Joe Hill is writing and overseeing  books for a horror themed line called Hill House.

The books, which are all limited series, are:

Plunge by Joe Hill and an unrevealed artist

Basketful of Heads by Joe Hill and art by Leomacs

The Low, Low Woods by Carmen Machado and art by Dani

Daphne Byrne by Laura Marks and art by Kelley Jones

The Dollhouse Family by Mike Carey and art by Peter Gross.

All the books seem to be original properties and non-capeshit works.

If nothing else, it's nice to see one of the Big Two giving Mike Carey some work again along with announcing some non-superhero books. And given that Joe Hill is a full-time writer with presumably no rock star music career on the side, maybe he'll actually get his books out on time unlike a certain other DC imprint overseer?

The Mike Carey series should be interesting.

Carmen Maria Machado is a prose genre fiction writer who has been getting a lot of "mainstream" attention lately. It's very interesting to see her writing a comic series too. Her collection Her Body and Other Parties is a quality genre short story collection. It won the LAMBDA< Tiptree Jr., and Shirley Jackson Awards for that year, plus was nominated for the World Fantasy and Locus Awards.

2 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

Sounds interesting - shame we're not getting a Constantine horror story in there though.

It'll all be Hill's intellectual property, not DC's John.

I guess it will be somewhat similar to the Razorline Universe from Marvel Comics in the 1990s, where Clive Barker came up with ideas for a series of comics, and then different creative teams took up the concepts. The books all remained as the intellectual property of Barker.

https://files.constantcontact.com/7c08b62b401/857e5ff9-cc24-4b82-93bd-4687ce4f2a1a.pdf

David Lapham of Stray Bullets fame uploaded a PDF containing the full issue of unused art Bill Sienkiewicz did for his "City of Crime" story before Sienkiewicz was unable to commit to the full run and had to be replaced.

From what I remember of City of Crime, it was a story that started strongly but after the halfway point had become something of a mess. I suppose that if Bill Sienkiewicz had done the art though, it wouldn't be languishing in obscurity.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-dcs-black-label-will-explore-the-joker-and-t-1836255597?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Two new Black Label books by Jeff Lemire have been announced: Joker with Andrea Sorrentino and The Question with Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz. The Question seems like it'll be worth checking out but honestly Joker anything is almost an anathema to me at this point even with Lemire.

Yes, I am in agreement. I don't see how even Lemire could do anything of interest with the Joker, but I am definitely interested in Lemire on the Question.

Maybe he'll have the Joker meet Christ and the comic will be cancelled a month or two before it was supposed to ship?

Trump's more King Tut than the joker, I'd have said. Unless there's an even crappier villain to compare him to I've forgotten...

Brian Azzarello to write... wait for it... the Birds of Prey. Yes. You read that right. The all-female team. And now featuring Harley Quinn, a character with the accents and slang that you know Azzarello just loves to write. Though the last time Azzarello got to write a DC superheroine book, it turned out to be his best Big Two work by far, so maybe this might not be an utter disaster? (the book seems to be here mostly to tie-in with the upcoming movie, using the same line-up)

I'll see your "easy pass" and raise you a "bleah", Lou.

Why didn't DC just let Paul Dini have the Joker murder Harley Quinn when he was done with her?

Tom King and Mitch Gerad's follow-up to their Mister Miracle maxi-series will be Adam Strange.

Adam Strange has never been a character I've felt strongly about one way or the other, but if King has another mature deconstruction of a B-list character in the vein of his Mister Miracle and Vision (and possibly inspired by A Scanner Darkly and other PKD works if his tweeted quote is anything to go on) in store, I am definitely in for the first issue.

King has proven that he can mine PKD's themes before, although I'm not really expecting to see Adam Strange as a drug addict.heh

I've always liked the Adam Strange character and concept. There have been some decent Adam Strange stories through the years, but I wouldn't say there's ever been a definitive take on the character, much the same way that the field was open for Mr. Miracle until King. I think this will be very much worth a read.

So that Green Lantern annual was a bit of a mess, wasn't it? I'll admit I am not keeping up with the monthly as much as I should, so maybe I am missing something