A. Heathen

DC Comics

The annual is stand-alone from what Morrison's been doing in the proper monthly.

From what I gathered reading it:

Hal and his cousin Hal Jr. who is the d-list DC hero Air Wave wake up at a family gathering where everyone but the kids are knocked out cold. They discover that the culprit is an alien criminal made of radio waves (whose species Morrison first introduced in the brief Flash run he co-wrote with Millar). Shenanigans ensue but to cut a long story short, the heroes ave the day, but at the end Morrison reveals that the entire annual was just a story Hal made up and is telling the adults to cover for the kids spiking the drinks at the family gathering to explain the destruction that ensued while the adults were under the effects. Hal finds out the jerk cousin got the kids to do it and gives him a good smacking, but Morrison ends things on a bit of a cliffhanger as an alien can be seen in the cousin's phone before the annual ends.

It's a nice tip of the hat to the framing narratives some of the old "imaginary stories" from the '50s and '60s used to have as well.

Yeah, I'm of two minds about it. I mean, on the one hand, Morrison's grasp of realism seems to have completely escaped him. It's not as if he cannot write normal scenes (at least he did well with it in the past, at times), but in this book, it came across as very awkward. Maybe Morrison should avoid that going further with the Green Lantern book.

It had a hint of being a rush job, in that Morrison needed to turn in a double-sized story in between two monthly issues of Green Lantern. He might have not put as much time in to this annual as normal.

However, I do feel that the story was redeemed by the ending. At least Morrison was going somewhere with that story.

If it weren't for the "surprise ending", I'd probably have to feel that this story was close to being akin to the level of a Howard Mackie plot. Yikes! However, unlike Mackie, Morrison was doing his own thing, making this story stand out in a way that Mackie's stories can only stand out as "an illiterate person trying to plot out a coherent story".

So, who knew that Howard Mackie was just really fucking high his entire writing career?

Still, I would say this was one of Morrison's weaker moments on Green Lantern. It still had some problems, even though the issue needs to be re-read after figuring out what was really going on with the ending.

There's more going on than at first seems, and it isn't the mess that you might think it was if you missed where it was going with the "surprise ending".

It seems like Morrison's run on Green Lantern comes to an end with issue #12.

Morrison says that his run is leading to something else, but it won't feature a Green Lantern. No word, as far as I'm aware, of what Morrison is planning after Green Lantern #12.

Sinestro: Year of the Villains #1 (by Mark Russell)-It's another winner from Mark Russell!

Man, a Hickman X-Men comic, a Grant Morrison comic, and a good Mark Russell comic all in the same week? This is a good comic book week, to be sure.

Let's face it, this was a filler tie-in issue with some sort of DC cross-over. It'd be easy to just phone it in. Why bother putting any effort in to this story? Throw some action at the page, call it a day, and collect the paycheck. Simple.

Instead, Mark Russell turns in another great comic story, if you dig his politics, and I do.

What starts out as a simple Sinestro versus "space gods" plot quickly turns in to a not-so-hidden commentary on religion and freedom. Impressive.

• Upvote 1

Sold. Thanks for the tip.

The first issue of that Jesus thing was great too.

Oh yeah, it was cute, is how I'd describe it. I don't see how anyone could read it and think it was controversial. Well, fundies, I guess, but they find just about everything to be controversial!

I mean, we have mainstream TV shows like Family Guy on FOX Network,  which had an episode about "Jesus losing his virginity". Even I found that episode offensive. I kept thinking, "Do I really want to be watching this?". Yet, Family Guy got away with it and is still on the air.

Yet, a "mature readers" comic book imprint like Vertigo, which is much less visible than a TV program, balks at the idea of even touching a series like that, which has a good message.

No wonder Vertigo is closing shop.

On the plus side, I've seen that the first issue of Second Coming sold out and is hard to find now. I'm sure it was due to all the negative publicity in the media. It made readers want to find a copy.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/08/14/grant-morrison-rewrites-reality-in-green-lantern-blackstars

Grant Morrison's follow-up to his Green Lantern run will be the three issue mini, Green Lantern: Blackstars. Liam Sharp will be replaced by an artist named Xermanico for these issues.

Given that Grant has referred to his twelve issue run as Season One of his Green Lantern, I wonder if this mini will be an interlude that will both lead into whatever his Season Two is and give Sharp some time off before he returns to draw Season Two.

• Like 1

Let's hope that's the case, rather than this being a second season that gets cancelled and replaced with something else mid season...