Christian

ALF Gets Edgy

Christian    744

The newest insane comic book back-issue craze is the discovery of ALF #48, due to its "controversial" cover art. I'll let this speak for itself.

Back-issues are going for between $30 and $60 on EBay.

730303.jpg

Lou K    1,057

God damn I wish comics were still a fucking dollar.

• Upvote 1

Christian    744

That's what Lou notices.

I know, me too. $4 is an insane amount for one comic book.

Lou K    1,057

I have gone to trades. 6 issues for a tenner or so.

Christian    744

It seems like most TPBs are $20 for between 5 or 6 issues, depending on the story-arc. I don't see a lot of TPBs going for $10.

I'm not paying that much attention to Trade prices, mind.

I have a problem with Trades, in that it seems easier to have $4 to pay for a book each month, rather than having the $20 for the Trade. I forget what books I'm interested in buying. It's easier for me to buy each week and have the comic store saving the issues I am buying for me. Plus, I'd have to go to the actual book store every time I wanted to pick up a number of Trades, since none of the comic stores around here stock much in the way of Trades. Either that, or I'd have to special order each book I wanted, but like I said before, I forget the books I'm interested in when I don't see them each week on the stands.

Of course, you could argue that if I'm forgetting about the title, I probably don't really need to be buying it anyway, and I'm probably buying it more out of habit, which is probably true.

A major positive about Trades is that they don't take up all the space of collecting multiple individual comic titles all the time. I'm really running out of room to store my comics, at this point.

dogpoet    454

That's what Lou notices.

I know, me too. $4 is an insane amount for one comic book.

Eighty five pence in the UK...

Lou K    1,057

That's like one American dollar, if my conversion is right (which is highly suspect)

I may have over sold the $10 bit but I scored a bunch of trades off Amazon for cheap-ish

Annihilator hard cover less than $10

Nameless hard cover for $14

Some batman trades for about $11 each

Plus the LCS always takes 25% off

The whole thing is that up until now, not everything was traded so if you didn't have the floppies you stood a good chance on missing out. My only beef is that the rarely offer cover galleries of the comics they traded. That would be cool. Nobody really does letter columns anymore so not missing those. And yeah, they take up WAY less space (which, admittedly, was not something I was all that concerned about til I had a kid).

Anyways, to stay on topic, yeah that is the first thing I noticed. I am not a sicko perv like Jim McMahon

Christian    744

Were you buying them for used prices?

Amazon is insane now. They're charging like $8 for shipping now! They want everyone to sign up for that Amazon Prime shit, which is $100 for a year subscription. So, they jacked up the shipping prices so that people will feel that paying the exorbitant sum of $100 a year for free two-day shipping isn't outrageous.

I've lost faith in Amazon.

Yeah, I could get 30% off at the comic book store I frequent, but it would require me special ordering every TPB I wanted.

That's when I start buying too, in the olden days, when hardly any comics were collected, so you had to buy back-issues. That's how I'm used to buying comics, with the expectation that you need to find the individual issues. I realize that now, everything is collected. Marvel is doing a good job of keeping their back-catalog in print too, but they're charging crazy money for their Epic Collections of older material. They cost $40 for each one. I miss the good ol' days of the Essential format.

Of course, this is about back-issues, and we were talking about the new issues each month.

dogpoet    454

I've pretty much stopped buying from Amazon: if the Marketplace vendors weren't hiding stuff on ebay as well, I wouldn't have bought a thing from them over the last year.

Lou K    1,057

Were you buying them for used prices?

Amazon is insane now. They're charging like $8 for shipping now! They want everyone to sign up for that Amazon Prime shit, which is $100 for a year subscription. So, they jacked up the shipping prices so that people will feel that paying the exorbitant sum of $100 a year for free two-day shipping isn't outrageous.

I've lost faith in Amazon.

Nope these were brand new books. The Nameless hardcover* is still shrink wrapped. Plus any order over $25 is free shipping!

*My late cat Alice Cooper peed on issues 3 and 4. So I have (had) 1, 2, 5 and 6. And Chris fucking Burnham is coming to Motor City Con! GAH! Thankfully I got this edition in time so I can have him sign the inside.

Christian    744

They're very tricky with the free shipping. Nice that it's back to being on orders over $25 again, as they initially raised that bar too, to $30.

Their prices are worked out so that you usually end up with an order being $23.75 (or something), so you need to buy another book to add on to get the free shipping rate, and the books you want all tend to be $15 or so....If you're buying a number of books already, it's fine. If you were planning to buy just the two books (or whatever), it can be really annoying. You either have to add on another $15 to get the free deal, or you have to pay the damn shipping. Plus, they're charging sales tax now. It's not too bad, but it's a pain to see another $2 added on to your order because of the taxes, plus the shipping.

They put all the real-life book stores out of business though, and the ones that are left hardly have any stock, so you basically have to go online to find books now.

I mostly buy used books at this point, though. There aren't a lot of new books coming out that I'm that interested.

A few times a year, I have to purchase some new releases for my work. It depends on what's coming out. Sometimes I manage to find them at the retail book stores though, if they're published by a publisher that the stores will stock.

Now, I've moved us right outside the very realm of comics too!