GottaGetAGrip

New Writer Starting With Issue 13

I have fairly fond memories of Anima, though those memories are vague at best. One of the better "Zero Hour" era titles, along with The Ray by Christopher Priest, that one was pretty good too if memory serves. Like you said, Christian, it was no Starman or Spectre, but better than shit like Primal Force and Gunfire.

As for Hellblazer # 13, I really REALLY enjoyed it. Best single issue of the series in years, here's hoping Seely can keep the tension up for the next two issues. Reminded me of a solid Mike Carey era story, to be honest. And the artwork, yeah, I seriously dig Jesus Merino's take on the series, a lot less "superhero" than I was expecting given his work on other DC books in the past.

Are you just starting with the New 52 era, John? Are you just talking about the main title?

Justice League Dark say John redebut in the DC Universe, starting with Peter Milligan also writing that book, with Milligan being followed by Jeff Lemire, and then J.M. DeMatteis finishing the book up.

New 52 series was Jeff Lemire (doing perhaps a career worst) followed shortly thereafter by Ray Fawkes.

Convergence series was next with Ming Doyle co-writing the book with James Tynion IV.

Rebirth series has been all Simon Oliver, so far.

How many bloody iterations has this gone through since the original book was canned ?

Seriously.

dogpoet    442

Three relaunches, i think, which isn't all that many when you look at how #1s some Marvels have had over the same timescale...

Christian    734

Yeah, it's down to DC rebooting their universe every so often, when the sales are dropping. The New 52 and Convergence version of JC weren't any great loss.

Marvel has had Marvel NOW, All-New Marvel NOW, All New All Different Marvel, Marvel NOW NOW....

dogpoet    442

...even NOW-er Marvel NOW, still NOW-ier Marvel NOW, NOW-est Marvel NOW (until Marvel NOWs again)...

Still, original Hellblazer was around since before the Simpsons. For a run of 300 issues.

This is kinda embarassing for DC to be honest, and I never read any of the relaunches.....and even if I'd want to, the fact they relaunched it three times would make that a very confusing prospect.

• Upvote 1

Christian    734

The days of comic books running for 100s of sequential issues seems to be over.

It's the new way of doing things for comic books. Sales have been steadily dropping since 2001 with comics. DC took a chance and rebooted their entire universe again for the New 52, and it was the hottest comic books have gotten since the early-1990s boom ended. Marvel decided to try to copy DC by relaunching all of their books, but it didn't have the same acclaim as the New 52. When the New 52 was considered a sales killer (after editorial mismanagement), DC went back to the same well again, with the Convergence reboot. This time, it didn't work for DC.

They tried once more with Rebirth, and it helped their sales a great deal.

DC will probably keep going along, until their sales start to fall off again, and then try again.

It's just considered normal now for comic books to run in "seasons". Marvel has a big cross-over, relaunches all their books from #1 on approximately a yearly basis, and starts all over again.

It's really done a great deal to kill interest in the comic books though. #1 issues aren't the hot item, like they were back in the day, when any #1 issue was going to double in price.

Fans have decided that they don't care about the characters very much anymore, since they're always going to be relaunched in the near future.

Comic books are really a dying market. More readers are interested in buying Trade Papers Backs from retail book stores or through internet services. The average comic book reader who goes to the comic book store once a week and buys the monthly titles is aged mid-30s to late-40s now. We're going to be dying off eventually, and there are less and less younger fans interested in replacing the aging audience.

JasonT    438

Relaunching with a new number 1 is an idiot's tactic. Basic supply and demand tells us that the value of issue 1s drops if they become more plentiful; and it's the kiss of death for long-term loyalty, the kind of loyalty that's meaningful. "You've been reading Amazing Spider-Man faithfully since the 70s? Well, here's an ideal jumping-off point."

2000AD has been giving readers planned jumping-on points for decades without restarting their numbering.

dogpoet    442

Yes, but 2000AD are publishing for a European audience who can deal with numbers bigger than a thousand. :tongue:

dogpoet    442

Isn't the writer getting replaced by Richard Kadrey in another issue or two?

Christian    734

I think he was joking.

I read that Seeley is using Norse mythology for his story-arc. Shades of Paul Jenkins, in that respect.

I don't know. I'm just going to keep sitting out HB until Kadrey takes over, then give it another chance. If Kadrey doesn't win me over with his first two issues, I'm officially done with JC for good....unless someone like Grant Morrison ever writes the character again. I don't think I need to start saving my pennies for that eventuality though.

Lou K    1,054

I'm officially done with JC for good....unless someone like Grant Morrison ever writes the character again. I don't think I need to start saving my pennies for that eventuality though.

This. Gonna have to come up with something pretty sweet to get me to buy HB again. Have not read a single issue since Milligan.