GottaGetAGrip

New Writer Starting With Issue 13

Christian    805

Oh, wow. I'm out. So, Simon Oliver's run is going to go downhill as a colossal failure, I'd have to say....12 issues of searching for the Djinn. I'm guessing Oliver's run will end with, "I found them!".

Nothing against Tim Seeley, but I've just never read anything by him that I've found in any way exceptional. Oliver had the peak-of-his-career Last Gang in Town right before he took over on Hellblazer, and he churned out the most boring run on the book I can think of....probably even worse, in some ways, than the Ming Doyle misfire (although, in other ways, Doyle's was just terrible even compared to Oliver's).

Wasn't Seeley a member of this forum at one point?

Demon Chas08    295

Oh, wow. I'm out. So, Simon Oliver's run is going to go downhill as a colossal failure, I'd have to say....12 issues of searching for the Djinn. I'm guessing Oliver's run will end with, "I found them!".

Nothing against Tim Seeley, but I've just never read anything by him that I've found in any way exceptional. Oliver had the peak-of-his-career Last Gang in Town right before he took over on Hellblazer, and he churned out the most boring run on the book I can think of....probably even worse, in some ways, than the Ming Doyle misfire (although, in other ways, Doyle's was just terrible even compared to Oliver's).

Wasn't Seeley a member of this forum at one point?

Seelig

Demon Chas08    295

But on Oliver: Like Denise Mina a decade before, he got the voice and swagger of our John but not the story. For Mina, it was the Third Place & for Oliver, its the Djinn. Which is a pity even more since he's one of us.

Credit where credits due,at least Johns and DiDio didn't hijack the run for their "All the bad stuff you dislike is all Alan Moore's fault (even though we're the real monsters)!!" campaign

A. Heathen    1,170

I'll give him a go.

Hack/Slash has been fun and suggests he knows horror.

I wonder if he would write an issue where Gemma and Angie enlist the services of Cassie Hack to go after Peter Milligan?

Hahahahaha... HORROR !!!

Remember when Hellblazer was a Horror book?

• Upvote 1

Demon Chas08    295

I'll give him a go.

Hack/Slash has been fun and suggests he knows horror.

I wonder if he would write an issue where Gemma and Angie enlist the services of Cassie Hack to go after Peter Milligan?

Hahahahaha... HORROR !!!

Remember when Hellblazer was a Horror book?

Turkish Tony's* remembers....

*Pepperidge Farm's taken

Christian    805

he he

I've given up ever expecting Hellblazer to truly be a horror book anymore.

After more than a decade without the book living up to fitting in to the horror genre, in the least, it's far too late to expect a return to roots at this point.

I don't think the new DC allows horror in their titles, because it could potentially scare little children.

That artwork doesn't do much for me either. It's hard to truly believe in a scary story, when the artwork looks like it's from a young adult cartoon show.

To be fair, that artwork is only for the covers, though I agree that it's too cartoony for what I'd like to see on Hellblazer. Maybe the interiors might be more Hellblazerish though I'm not too sure if the artist will be up to the task, a quick Google of Jesus Merino's art brings up fairly standard superhero artwork.

Christian    805

Are you just starting with the New 52 era, John? Are you just talking about the main title?

Justice League Dark say John redebut in the DC Universe, starting with Peter Milligan also writing that book, with Milligan being followed by Jeff Lemire, and then J.M. DeMatteis finishing the book up.

New 52 series was Jeff Lemire (doing perhaps a career worst) followed shortly thereafter by Ray Fawkes.

Convergence series was next with Ming Doyle co-writing the book with James Tynion IV.

Rebirth series has been all Simon Oliver, so far.

Another creative team switch in November, guess Seely and Merino are only on board for one 3-issue arc. Anyone heard of the writer Richard Kadrey before?

THE HELLBLAZER #16

Written by RICHARD KADREY

Art by DAVIDE FABBRI

Cover by JESUS MERINO

Variant cover by YASMINE PUTRI

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.

“The Bardo SCORE” part one! Another one of John’s magician friends has died—with a smile on his face and the words “thank you” scrawled in his own blood beside him. He wants to nail the killer and get revenge. But it happened in San Francisco so, above all, he wants to go home before he drinks himself to death in that loathsome city.

On sale NOVEMBER 22 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Christian    805

To be honest, I'm sort of excited about this.

Kadrey just finished up on the Lucifer comic. His run was decent, although not great, but the Lucifer series was quickly losing steam anyway.

He's normally a prose sci-fi and horror writer. He's most famous for the Sandman Slim series of supernatural detective novels, which (rather than making him a perfect fit for a Morpheus relaunch as the title might at first suggest) seems like it will make him a really good fit for John.

He wrote one of my very favourite Cyberpunk novels, Metrophage. If he can channel the type of gritty, depraved, decaying social landscape and the same social anger as he brought to that novel, we could be in for a classic. I'm not going to get my hopes up too highly for that level, but my hopes have risen quite a bit since hearing Seeley was the next writer.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?2990

dogpoet    496

Hopefully he'll turn out to be more China Meiville than Nancy Collins on this.

:tongue:

(And this'll be better than Accelerate, obvs.)

Christian    805

Yeah, Accelerate is certainly problematic with Kadrey....It could be a bad sign about his comic book work.

Lucifer was better, although not spectacular. Maybe it's a sign that Kadrey is better at writing horror in comic books than sci-fi though.

Nancy A. Collins was never a good writer. I haven't really read anything by her that has impressed me, and some of her prose fiction is just as dumb as her comic book work. So, I'd expect a lot more from Kadrey than Collins.

dogpoet    496

Fair point: she's pretty much the poundshop knock off of Marty Gentle, isn't she? Maybe I should have said Elizabeth Hand or KW Jeter instead...

Christian    805

Neither Jeter or Hand wrote JC though, so it wouldn't have been as appropriate....

Plus, as we've discussed before, I thought Elizabeth Hand did quite well with her comic book series. I quite liked Anima. It certainly wasn't in the same company as Collins' junk or Jeter's misfire.

dogpoet    496

It was alright, I suppose, but it was hardly in the same league as the other ongoing series to come out of that year's crossover, was it? It was pretty much a by numbers '80s superhero comic with some talk about grunge stuff shoehorned in to make it look more contemporary.

:tongue:

(I should have said Rachel Pollak...)

Christian    805

Doom Patrol was about as good as Pollack gets as a writer though....

I read a short story by her that was originally published in Interzone that was really good, "Angel". Otherwise, her other fiction is just ok at best, if not unreadable, at worst.

I'll still take Pollack over 95% of Collins' work though.

Anima was definitely one of the best books to come out that cross-over! The only one that could be considered better was Ennis' Hitman. Otherwise, every other book was pure shit. Unless you have a soft spot for the memory of Psyba-Rats, or something.....

dogpoet    496

I was thinking of Hitman, which is likely the single best thing Ennis has done. Even if Anima's better than dreck like Psyba-Rats (I thought that was just a one shot?) or Loose Cannon, it's hardly in that league, is it?

And leaving aside it's rival launches, Anima was competing as a mid '90s DC mainstream superhero series with Robinson's Starman and Ostrander's Spectre, which it wasn't even close to matching, was it?

I take it Angel was in that Interzone anthology you'd found? I'd have to dig out my box of SF magazines and check, but if I'm thinking of the right story she did a couple of better stories (and a very crap novel) in the same setting. I've never understood why she even bothered to write any more fiction after establishing herself as a Tarot expert during the late '80s.

Demon Chas08    295

Ok, so having read this issue while in route to work, it does have something going for it* even for a now 3 part fill in far as introductions go. Seely got our John's voice on point and Merino's art feels right back at where we ought to have been after Diggle as opposed to what we ended up getting 8 years ago around this time.

*Said this about Oliver but we been deep throated by Djinn and a bride of a Elemental who's now Blue!Lady Jane

Christian    805

OK, the discussion has switched to talking about the new Hellblazer issue....

Dog, I'll just say that you were mentioning the best books that DC was publishing. While Anima wasn't at the same level as DC's very best of the time, no, it was better than most of the books DC was publishing at the time. So, it still stands out. It stands up to the test of time too, as you can still read the comic and enjoy it, which is not something you can say for 90% of the comics (Marvel, DC, and then later-'90s Vertigo) that came out in the 1990s.

I'd say it was a forgotten gem. It wasn't something that everyone was reading, which people should now be ashamed about, like "Knightfall" in Batman, nor is it a book that everyone raved about which deserved the attention and now stands as a classic of the medium (like Starman), but it was a series that was better than most of the books that everyone was reading that no one remembers today.

Christian    805

Demon-Well, even if it does go as off-the-rails as Oliver's run ended up, it can only last for three issues. So, it's not like the reader will have to spend the next year seeing about where those pesky Djinn are hiding.