Christian

The Hellblazer #10-Debut of Blade the Vampire Hunter!

The Hellblazer #10  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Better with Blade

Christian    734

Keeping up appearances.....Throwing off the authorities.....

Written by Simon Oliver.

Art by Davide Fabbri and José Marzan. Cover by Riley Rossmo.

'THE SMOKELESS FIRE' part four!

John Constantine has a lead on the missing journal, but has Misabel created a false trail? Mercury doesn't trust the looks of the club where they end up, and only an old enemy can save them!

dogpoet    442

I'm starting to wonder if there's something in the contract for writing Hellblazer or notquitheellblazer that whenever somebody takes over scripting it, somebody at DC hits them in the head until their creative faculties are destroyed. Milligan, Oliver and Lemire are all rather good writers elsewhere, after all.

Christian    734

Yeah, Milligan and Lemire certainly had their worst work published for a Hellblazer title. Oliver is more hit and miss for me, but he had just hit a career high right before starting on Hellblazer. It almost seems as if DC want to punish people for liking John Constantine rather than just canceling the book. An eternal purgatory for those of us sinners.

It's been a more recent development however, as Jamie Delano was doing his best work on Hellblazer. That was before DC decided that John Constantine should be a character who appeals to fans of, say, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, rather than, say, Ramsey Campbell.

How many incarnations of Papa Midnite have we seen now? Just because he first appeared in issue #2 of Hellblazer, he must considered one of those recurring characters whose legacy must be kept going from version to version, much like a Marvel Universe character like Blob (from X-Men) or Gladiator (from DD). They appeared so early in the titles, they must be important to the mythos and must keep being used from series to series, whether there's a good story for said character or not.

dogpoet    442

To be fair, they started rebooting Midnite's story during his second appearance in the original series, when Ennis decided he had to be from Jamaica rather than Haiti, and retconned his sister's death...

Christian    734

Then, they ret-conned Papa Midnite again during the original series (to make him more compatible with the movie version, I do believe) in that Hellblazer Presents: Papa Midnite mini-series.

So, yeah, including all forms of media (movie and TV show) this is probably the 9th iteration of Papa Midnite.

I just never expected to see him metamorphose in to Blade....

Now, I doubt we'll even see him again during this run of the title, so what is even the point?

I was wondering what reason Papa Midnite even had to be in Paris to begin with. I guess the plot just needed someone to pop in and kill a werewolf, so here comes Papa.

This book very much feels like it arrived at the same place the Doyle/Tynion run went. A promising start that ultimately couldn't be sustained, and like that book, the words and pictures are just passing by in a blur of dullness.

JohnMcMahon    562

Dull's a good word for this one, the Midnite scene was pretty awful but was topped by one of the worst cliffhangers I've seen in some time!

Christian    734

Not for DogPoet! The return of the shoe is exactly for what he's been waiting so patiently!

Besides, the cliffhanger ending for each and every issue of this run so far has been, "But, where in the world are the Djinn?".

Another stupid scene is John looking in a mirror, bemoaning the fact that the years have passed him by, while he looks like a 30 year old man. Come on now. Is this supposed to be emo John? Are we pretending that John is really still 60 years old, but a spell was cast by the ending of Hellblazer which makes him look half his age?

dogpoet    442

Not for DogPoet! The return of the shoe is exactly for what he's been waiting so patiently!

No, Christian, I just said that the flying trainer was the most interesting thing in the issue in which it filled the whole final page...

:wink2:

Yeah, Milligan and Lemire certainly had their worst work published for a Hellblazer title. Oliver is more hit and miss for me, but he had just hit a career high right before starting on Hellblazer. It almost seems as if DC want to punish people for liking John Constantine rather than just canceling the book. An eternal purgatory for those of us sinners.

It's been a more recent development however, as Jamie Delano was doing his best work on Hellblazer. That was before DC decided that John Constantine should be a character who appeals to fans of, say, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, rather than, say, Ramsey Campbell.

How many incarnations of Papa Midnite have we seen now? Just because he first appeared in issue #2 of Hellblazer, he must considered one of those recurring characters whose legacy must be kept going from version to version, much like a Marvel Universe character like Blob (from X-Men) or Gladiator (from DD). They appeared so early in the titles, they must be important to the mythos and must keep being used from series to series, whether there's a good story for said character or not.

I'm not reading this new series, and heavily disagree on the Milligan (but you know that already), however I will say that I felt annoyed how Ennis killed Midnite off so damn quickly back in the day.