The Best of Teen Angst Hellblazer

Hellblazer-Constantine Divisions 2 & 3  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Hellblazer spin-offs & collections - best writer

• Mat Johnson (Papa Midnite)
    • Si Spencer (City of Demons)
    • Lemire/Fawkes (Constantine v1)
    • Ray Fawkes (Constantine v2,3,4)
    • James Tynion IV/ Ming Doyle (Con The Hell v1&2)
    • Simon Oliver (Chas The Knowledge & The Hellblazer v1)
    • Milligan (Hellblazer The End)
    • Denise Mina (Hellblazer The Brave)

A. Heathen    1,125

Just doing a bit of housekeeping by way of avoiding work, and realised we have never properly voted on the Second Division of Hellblazer writers etc.

Mostly because there were not enough back in 2012.

http://hellblazer.ip...?showtopic=9167

http://hellblazer.ip...10

Now there are.

So here it is. Just the TPBs, No guest writers.

Was Diggle forgotten in regards to the poll? Since Mina and Milligan are there...

I suppose in lieu of him Spencer would get my vote. I liked City of Demons, even factoring in Zippercoat.

A. Heathen    1,125

No Diggle is firmly in the 1st Division but Mina and Milligan tussled in the playoffs for Division 2.

A. Heathen    1,125

I'm also voting SSpencer. Though Fawkes final volume is my favourite of all these tpbs

Christian    734

I wish this was about a new TPB that Vertigo was releasing, where they reprint the best Hellblazer stories of all time, and ignore those lame writers like Delano, Jenkins, or Ennis who didn't know what they were doing with JC, since it was still the early days, before the character got really interesting. Like with that #0 issue, where we saw what really motivated John. Just working with that sort of strong characterization for John, without all the muddle of things like non-Nick Necro, non-bisexuality, or non-Djinn taking precedence.

I really can't vote on this.....God, this is just awful. I can't believe I kept reading John Constantine stories through all of this. Thanks a lot Voices from Beyond: A Hellblazer Forum....your polls are what motivated me to keep reading this garbage. I did really enjoy one issue of the Jeff Lemire "New 52" debacle, when John went for a tour of his new haunts. I guess Si Spencer would win by default, since I have a deep hatred for most of the other options, but City of Demons ended up going way off the rails by the end too.

dogpoet    442

Where's the Spencer/Ormston Books of Magic?

Christian    734

That's not really a John Constantine comic. That's a Time Hunter book. These are just the main Hellblazer-centric comic books.

dogpoet    442

True, but Constantine was still all over it, and far more of a presence than he was in the Papa Midnite series.

A. Heathen    1,125

I am not putting JLDour or the computer game one you all fawned over either.

As Christian says "Not Constantine".

You can count it in voting for Spencer, if it helps.

Christian    734

The Papa Midnite one had "Hellblazer Presents" in the title, and Papa Midnite is a recurring character in the Hellblazer comic books, who doesn't have any presence outside of John Constantine comic books.

Tim Hunter has his own comic series, so I wouldn't say it counts, even though an alternate-universe version of our John features more heavily than JC does in Papa Midnite.