seventhcircle

iron fist on netflix

seventhcircle    580

i think it's soooo bad.

not only do they seem to have similar stroylines that arrow has (which is a bad series on it's own terms imo), but

the martial arts choreografies are incredibly bad. the lead is actually decent for someone that has no real background in fighting that i am aware of,

but specifically jessica henwick. oh my fucking god is she bad.

to be fair i watched some donnie yen movies before that, but still, you shouldn't suck that hard when acting fighting in a series about a martial arts prodigy.

and also i don't know much of the source, but still another series about a billionaire heir, that has some issues about their parents and tries to fight crime with

their mediocre fighting skills, because someone somewhere taught him some nice tricks. did the world really need another cliche-massacre?

after eight episodes, the highlight so far has been paul edmonds as a psychiatrist. it wasn't an eye-opening career-defining performance, but he actually did his job as - you know - an actor.

i think the series would have worked much better, if they had done it exploitation-style.

dogpoet    443

The original Iron Fist stories are actually rather goood. Marvel's second best '70s martial arts comic (which might sound like the damning with faint praise, but their best chop socky series at the time was Master Of Kung Fun, which is little short of magnificent: a comic can be bloody good without matching that), and well worth a look, particularly if you like the Byrne Claremont double act.

Of course, the nerds just like it because it's the series that introduced Sabretooth...

Christian    735

Marvel had two martial arts comics, and it's the second best one....heh

You probably won't believe me saying this, because of how much I adore Claremont, but I actually found the Iron Fist comic to be better before Claremont. I sort of found Claremont's run on Iron Fist to be boring. A lot of fans talk very positively about the Claremont/Byrne run though, so if you were going to try sampling the comic, you'll probably be better off starting there, as I seem to be in a very tiny minority.

While Danny Rand was a billionaire heir who lost his parents and took up learning skills so he could fight crime does sound derivative, the comic never read as if Iron Fist was meant to be a Batman clone.

dogpoet    443

I think there were a few more than two? There were a couple of the magazines, at least...

Christian    735

There was the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine, yes, but it was mainly Shang-Chi and Iron Fist stories.

If you wanted to count characters who didn't have an on-going series like the Daughters of the Dragon, there would be more. But, it wouldn't really be fair to say that Iron Fist's series was better than the Daughters of the Dragon solo stories, since there were only a handful of those.

Master of Kung Fu and Iron Fist were really the only on-going comic characters at Marvel.

JohnMcMahon    562

If you thought Iron Fist was shite, and it was, then don't bother with The Defenders as it's just as bad really.

The hit rate for Marvel on Netflix is a little rough - first season of Daredevil and the first 1/2 of both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are good to great but otherwise....

Christian    735

Why couldn't Marvel just use the name Heroes for Hire for the Luke Cage and Iron Fist team up show? They reused the Defenders name and it has absolutely nothing to do with the team who were known as the Defenders at Marvel.

I suppose it could be for trademark renewal purposes, so that Marvel doesn't lose the rights to that name while they're not publishing material featuring a team named "Defenders"....

It still annoys me, because Defenders was always one of Marvel's most quirky titles, and now it's a street-level book being written by Bendis.

Christian    735

The two together were known as the Daughters of the Dragon in the comics though, so it'd be wasting the Defenders team name just to use the name Heroes for Hire a step too late for characters who could be named something other than "Heroes for Hire".

dogpoet    443

Maybe they plan spinning Misty and Wing out into a Heroes For Hire show down the line ?

Not inconceivable as they had a Heroes For Hire comic of their own for a while, didn't they? Started off quite well as a sequel to the Palmiotti/Grey Daughters of The Dragon mini before ending in a shabby cluster of crossovers and manga style tentacle rape.

Christian    735

Oh, they did, didn't they? I didn't realize that there was a Heroes for Hire book starring those two, although that was way back in 2006.

The last Heroes for Hire I remember reading (other than the recent relaunch of Luke Cage and Iron Fist) was the Dan Abnett version.

dogpoet    443

It was one of Marvel's big launches and the Abnett series was sort of spun off from it?

Christian    735

No, the Abnett book was from 2010.

The most recent series was just called Power Man and Iron Fist by David Walker, from 2016. I made a mistake. I thought that the Walker series was titled "Heroes for Hire", but it was just Power Man and Iron Fist.

The last comic series to use the Heroes for Hire name was the Dan Abnett one.

dogpoet    443

I was talking about the previous Heroes For Hire series, which involved Misty Knight and her bestie running an agency of freelance superheroes of that name, and which led into Misty's role as a broker for freelance superheroes in the Abnett series.

This one here?heroes_for_hire_14.jpg

Christian    735

Oh, so the Abnett series spun off of that earlier one? I didn't realize that either.

Yeah, that one you're talking about was launched as part of the Civil War cross-over, it looks like.

The Abnett book was really good.

seventhcircle    580

agency of freelance superheroes

i can not comprehend this idea.

does it work out like this:

*little timmy comes into the office

tim: "yes hello mister devil of hell's kitchen, can you help me, my cat is stuck in a tree"

dd: "well timmy it's just a matter of minutes. first lets talk about payment that would be 100 grand in cash upfront"

tim: "but i am ten years old, where should i get a 100 k?"

dd: "man that is not my problem, i have bills to pay and metahumans don't come cheap. demand and supply - timmy - demand and supply."

*norman osborne enters the office

tim: "but mister devil, i thought you were a hero. what makes a hero a hero, but the courage to help those in need, without looking for personal gain?"

dd: "look timmy. that is how capitalism works. do you hate capitalism? do you hate america, timmy? well do you?"

* timmy is in tears

gg: "in the good old mccarthy-days scum like you would have been deported, timothy."

dd: "well hello mister osborne, how can i be of service?"

gg: "you do vermin extermination right? because i have a spider-infestation in my city."

Edited by seventhcircle

JohnMcMahon    562

A slight correction, if you don't mind....

agency of freelance superheroes

i can not comprehend this idea.

does it work out like this:

*little timmy comes into the office

tim: "yes hello mister devil of hell's kitchen, can you help me, my cat is stuck in a tree"

Christian    735

There was the entire Luke Cage 1970s series, which was passed on the premise of a superhero who charged money.

The concept is pretty stupid on a number of levels, if you take it solely at face value....and, as far as I remember, most of Cage's cases ended with the person being too poor to pay anything, and Cage doing the job for free anyway.

Heroes for Hire was sort of an attempt to merge superheroes with the concept of a private detective agency though.

I think the original concept of Booster Gold was also that he was only in the superhero business to make a profit.

Unlike Luke Cage or Iron Fist, Booster really was presented as a selfish jerk, who probably would have turned down a little kid trying to get help getting his cat out of a tree.

The Dan Abnett series had a different format though. It was more like a collaboration effort, rather than heroes doing jobs for money. Different heroes could register with Misty Knight to be a "Hero for Hire", and Knight worked as a coordinator. She would make calls to the appropriate hero for a certain case, and then if that hero needed back-up in the field, she'd call in the closest other members of the Heroes for Hire team to help with the case.

Lou K    1,054

I think the original concept of Booster Gold was also that he was only in the superhero business to make a profit.

Unlike Luke Cage or Iron Fist, Booster really was presented as a selfish jerk, who probably would have turned down a little kid trying to get help getting his cat out of a tree.

Always hated that prick, Booster Gold

Christian    735

I remember liking the Booster Gold series that spun out of the 52 series, by Geoff Johns, but I don't have much memory of the book anymore. Something about time being broken....but not the Marvel version of that. I think I liked it because it featured Rip Hunter.

dogpoet    443

I remember liking the Booster Gold series that spun out of the 52 series, by Geoff Johns, but I don't have much memory of the book anymore. Something about time being broken....but not the Marvel version of that. I think I liked it because it featured Rip Hunter.

That'd be a Young Animals thing now, and probably a lot worse.