Sign in to follow this  
GottaGetAGrip

R.I.P. Len Wein (1948 - 2017)

Christian    734

Sad. I was a fan of most of his comic work.

Outside of Swamp Thing, which everyone associates him with, I was also a fan of his runs on:

Incredible Hulk (which is where he obviously created Wolverine)

Thor

Marvel Team Up

Justice League (all too briefly)

dogpoet    442

You're forgetting the x men, Christian: wasn't Wein the first writer on the relaunch of that before Claremont took over?

Christian    734

No, I didn't forget it, Dog. Yeah, Wein wrote Giant Size X-Men #1, and was creator of Colossus and Storm, and co-creator of Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler was actually first developed by Cockrum to be used in Legion of Superheroes at DC, but Cockrum left DC before the character debuted, so he showed his character sketches to Marvel, and Wein came up with the Nightcrawler character.

I just didn't really feel the need to mention his writing on one comic book.....which, also to be honest, wasn't exactly the greatest beginning to the All-New, All-Different X-Men....

It should get mentioned that he did create all of those X-characters and not just Wolverine though.

dogpoet    442

It definitely should, yes: that's why I mentioned it.

:wink2:

(Didn't know that Nightcrawler was designed as a LOS character, though. That would certainly explain his costume...)

I think he edited a chunk of it after Claremont took over as writer as well?

Christian    734

It looks like just for #94 and 95. Marv Wolfman was editor by issue #96.

The story I read as to why Wein left X-Men so quickly was because Marvel wanted him to either drop Brother Voodoo or X-Men, and Wein said that since both books were equal in importance to him (neither one was that big of a deal, in other words), he decided he'd stick on Brother Voodoo, since he had been writing that longer. Imagine how different things would have been had Wein chose X-Men instead!

dogpoet    442

It looks like just for #94 and 95. Marv Wolfman was editor by issue #96.

The story I read as to why Wein left X-Men so quickly was because Marvel wanted him to either drop Brother Voodoo or X-Men, and Wein said that since both books were equal in importance to him (neither one was that big of a deal, in other words), he decided he'd stick on Brother Voodoo, since he had been writing that longer. Imagine how different things would have been had Wein chose X-Men instead!

John Byrne might have got an editorial bitch slapping while working on the comic that turned him into a massive primadonna to stop him turning into the hilariously self important wanker that he has because Marv Wolfman did not give a flying fuck?

It's like one of those alternate history stories, isn't it?

(And I'm taking this no further because a living legend has passed, and I can ridicule John Byrne elsewhere.)