JohnMcMahon

TPB Covers

JohnMcMahon    562

To start on a positive, it's absolutely fantastic that DC are slowly releasing a complete collection of OG Hellblazer in trades.

On the negative side though, what is up with some of the covers ? The series has been blessed with some of the best cover artists ever to grace the industry and this is the kind of thing they're putting on the trades -

51GCLrr6a5L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Any one of the Bradstreet covers for the original issues collected therein is streets ahead of this....thing...that wouldn't look out of place down the cheap end of a Manga shop.

(Not inspired by the fact they didn't use the cover that namechecks myself and Ade, honest)

• Upvote 3

While I've quite liked some of the new trade covers (the ones by Francis Manapul and Sean Phillips were fantastic), you can tell that DC is just putting their roster of current artists on the jobs. It started out with their big names - Jim Lee, David Finch, John Cassaday - but now they're starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Not that I don't like Tula Lotay, who drew the cover you posted, but she's not exactly a top bill as cover artist. Maybe now they're trying to stick with recent Hellblazer/Constantine artists: Lotay was recently doing covers for the ongoing, and both Riley Rossmo and Simon Bisely did trade covers in the last year. I do wonder why they don't go back and commission new covers from Fabry, Bradstreet, Bermejo, etc... Maybe they don't care enough about the series 17 volumes in to go after a solid name and just toss it to whoever's available at the time?

Christian    734

Maybe they're hoping that all these John Constantine fans who are rushing to buy the new Hellblazer comics will be drawn to buying the back-issue Trades by seeing covers that look just like the JC they know and love?

I mean, Hellblazer fans are obviously going to pick up a Hellblazer Trade today expecting to see John's past exploits in search of his arch-enemies, the Djinn. DC has to find some way to appeal to that huge core audience.

Delano and Ennis are sorely lacking in Djinn stories, and that's why the original HB series got canceled! Today's discerning readers demand to see intelligent stories about searches for Djinn, not the pap that Delano and Ennis were churning out, obviously just to get a quick pay-day.

I'm sure it also saves DC money, as they have a core roster of talents under exclusive contracts. Those classic HB artists aren't under contract with DC now. They'd be more likely to just keep using artists who they currently have under contract. HB Trades aren't the highest selling books at DC, so why would they want to spend extra on them? It's not as if it's a Frank Miller Batman project, where spending extra money is worth it based on sales.

• Upvote 1

Christian    734

I'm not sure if John has a high opinion of himself and Adrian, or if there's a different cover of which I'm unaware that he's talking....but, Bradstreet named all the regular Forum contributors at that time on the cover of Hellblazer #214.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,053

There was another cover featuring John's...I think, police profile? Ade Brown and Jim McMahon ( :wink2: ) were listed as aliases for our John.

Shame I could not find Tim B at the last Motor City Con, I wanted to get 214 signed.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they're hoping that all these John Constantine fans who are rushing to buy the new Hellblazer comics will be drawn to buying the back-issue Trades by seeing covers that look just like the JC they know and love?

I mean, Hellblazer fans are obviously going to pick up a Hellblazer Trade today expecting to see John's past exploits in search of his arch-enemies, the Djinn. DC has to find some way to appeal to that huge core audience.

Delano and Ennis are sorely lacking in Djinn stories, and that's why the original HB series got canceled! Today's discerning readers demand to see intelligent stories about searches for Djinn, not the pap that Delano and Ennis were churning out, obviously just to get a quick pay-day.

But but but...Delano DID use the Djinn! In Pandemonium!

#itsallconnected

Christian    734

Lou-He's as slippery and elusive as those darn Djinn.

Huh, I don't remember the Djinn being used in Pandemonium. I just remember Nergal. I only read the book once though....paging through, ah yes, I see there are Djinn. Well, that makes John's belief that the Djinn are probably only a legend at the beginning of Oliver's epic quest somewhat questionable. (Yes, I realize that there is no actual HB continuity anymore.)

New readers will probably be dismayed to learn that the Djinn weren't presented as John's eternal nemesis in Pandemonium, making them rip that book up in rage and refuse to allow it to be canonical....much as some long-time fans have done with Milligan's run, or what Forum member Slinker did with the John Smith issue.

• Upvote 1

Lou K    1,053

Remember the good old days when our John was only hunting for gin?

I'll show myself out...

• Upvote 3

Christian    734

Except for that story in the third Winter's Edge anthology written by Dave Gibbons....that story wasn't very good, even though John was out hunting for gin.

• Upvote 1

seventhcircle    580

I'm not sure if John has a high opinion of himself and Adrian, or if there's a different cover of which I'm unaware that he's talking....but, Bradstreet named all the regular Forum contributors at that time on the cover of Hellblazer #214.

There was another cover featuring John's...I think, police profile? Ade Brown and Jim McMahon ( :wink2: ) were listed as aliases for our John.

Shame I could not find Tim B at the last Motor City Con, I wanted to get 214 signed.

that is actually really cool.

dogpoet    442

That's a rather fine image, even if the glass is a bit "Simon Bisley draws an Absolut advert"

(Has McCrae ever drawn a comic with John outside of the Section Eight miniseries and that splash page in Hitman?)

A. Heathen    1,125

No. That one's ugly.

This is probably going to be ruined by placement, even if he's given them space.

FB_IMG_1505892320401.jpg

dogpoet    442

It'd be nice if DC just kept the text on the spine and the back and left a clean image on the front of the collections, wouldn't it? Put the logo and volume title on the shrink wrap instead of the cover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

Now that's more like it.

To be fair the one in my original post received some praise on Facebook so maybe it's just an old man thing!

I don't think its so much the art on that one but the colors, with all the pastels and such.  Makes what could have been an interesting design into an eyesore.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1