Sign in to follow this  
Ixnay by Night

Trinity

Anyone been reading the Trinity series?  John has been a big part of the last two issues (the second one came out this week) as part of the magical counterpoint to DC's Supes/Bats/WW "trinity", along with Deadman and Zatanna.  The writer is Rob Williams, who I'm unfamiliar with outside of a really dreadful run on Ghost Rider a few years back, and the art is by Generic DC House Artist # 49.  Thoughts?  It's certainly a solid DC superhero comic, and I like the emphasis on trinity pairings (Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman; Bizarro/Red Hood/Artemis; Constantine/Deadman/Zatanna).  John's characterization isn't great, though loads better than his last go-round with Justice League Dark.

1167576.jpg

Christian    735

I'm not reading it, as I have very little interest in DC anymore. The main DC Trinity has been a thing for a long while now....Matt Wagner had a mini-series a while ago that introduced that concept. Then, back when DC decided to have an on-going weekly series constantly, Kurt Busiek wrote a book called Trinity, about what the DC Universe would be like if that original DC Trinity went missing....and, unlike most anything else written by Busiek, I remember it being terrible.

Rob Williams is often a decent writer. I haven't read everything by him. Some of it is quite good, while other of his writing is pedestrian. He can be political in some of his stories.

His first comic series was the heavily delayed ClassWar for the failed publisher ComX. It was a pretty good read, although it was somewhat derivative of John Smith's New Statesmen.

He's also the current writer on the new Suicide Squad series.

dogpoet    443

The trinity thing is down to Wagner, then? That's interesting, as I thought he was out of favour at DC these days.

eHsOQ6H.jpg
John Constantine x Wonder Woman is now my go-to crack-ship.

Anyhow, as far as the idea of DC Trinities go, I feel that perhaps Etrigan, Doctor Fate, or Swamp Thing would've been a more fitting choice to pair John and Zatanna up with given how the other two trinities featured in this book were modeled - the powerhouse, the non-powered guy (or in John's case in comparison to his peers, I suppose the less-powered guy), and the girl.