Sign in to follow this  
Ixnay by Night

The Hellblazer # 15

I'm really surprised no one's talking about this series anymore, I guess Oliver's terrible Djinn storyline really drove everyone away.  That's actually a shame, because Tim Seely's 3-issue arc was actually pretty great.  I thought the final chapter kind of stumbled in the middle, with a completely unnecessary Justice League appearance that had me rolling my eyes, but then it finished with a really great last couple of pages.  This has been the best story John's had since he was brought back into the DCU (except for maybe Fawkes' Earth 2 arc, that was really well done, too), and I recommend you guys trying it out.  

• Like 1

Christian    752

Probably the fact that it featured a horrible cover featuring John having defeated the DCU superheroes turned people off wanting to take a chance on the issue.

Paging through the issue, it looked like Seeley had a lot of space to waste in the issue, throwing in all the DCU junk, and then it seemed like John turned in to the Fonz to defeat the supernatural threat. He just....points his fingers at then....and they were zapped....? Huh?

Plus, the artwork making him look like aerobic exercise John sort of put me off too.

The ending looked hackneyed and like something we've seen countless times before.

I don't think I really missed that much by skipping this three-parter.

I plan to give Kadrey a chance on the next issue. The cover and solicitation for #16 definitely looks promising, but DC can't be trusted.

I took a look at the cover for it online, and wow, yeah it was pretty awful.  The copy I picked up had the Yasmine Putri variant, which was a lot better.  I agree that the DCU stuff thrown into the last issue read like unnecessary filler, but the rest of the issue was pretty spot-on for me.  I liked that Seely came up with something unique and bizarre for the "villains" and narrative structure, he put more time into research and plot mapping than most writers that have been on this series.  I also liked both how John defeated the dwarves, I thought it was a clever way to turn their power back on them.  I also thought the ending, while yes it was something we'd seen before from John, really hit home with how dire and brutal it was to the supporting character.

All in all, I maintain that this was a very good (not great) arc.  I recommend it.

I also felt that JL appearance was pretty silly, as it ended with John literally engaging the League + Zee and Swampy in fisticuffs (perhaps Tim Seeley is using this to pitch John as the next Injustice DLC?). Thankfully it was a pretty brief scene and most of it occurred off-panel.

Story ultimately was nothing special or new (choice of enemies aside), but Seeley wrote it well and I felt he had a great handle on John's persona for the most part. After about two years of drawn out and boring Djinn benders and New York hipster stuff in Constantine comics, it also was nice to read something with a little brevity in comparison.

• Upvote 1

A. Heathen    1,131
4 hours ago, Christian said:

Probably the fact that it featured a horrible cover featuring John having defeated the DCU superheroes turned people off wanting to take a chance on the issue.

That was hilarious.

In context event more so.

seventhcircle    584
On 27.10.2017 at 6:47 PM, Christian said:

Paging through the issue, it looked like Seeley had a lot of space to waste in the issue, throwing in all the DCU junk, and then it seemed like John turned in to the Fonz to defeat the supernatural threat. He just....points his fingers at then....and they were zapped....? Huh?

Can somebody do a sketch with john in leather-jacket saying eeeeeeey and making demons explode?

dogpoet    463

I think Sean Murphy tried to do that, but was stopped.

Looks like Tim  will be back for another arc following Richard Kadrey according to DC's Feb solicitations:

THE HELLBLAZER #19 hellblazer19th.jpg

Written by Tim Seeley, art by Davide Fabbri, cover by Tim Seeley, variant cover by Sean Phillips.

"The Good Old Days" part one! John is back home in London, but he's not happy about it. A crime wave caused by young, aggressive gangsters interrupted his pursuit of Detective Chief Inspector Margaret Ames. Then she started acting strangely and refused to come to him for help...but going to her local priest could be the last mistake she'll ever make.

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on Feb. 28.

Will be nice to see Sean drawing John again, even if it's just for a variant cover.

(I wonder if DC just plans on alternating Seeley and Kadrey on three-issue arcs?)

(Could've been worse I suppose, like Oliver coming back to finish his Djinn "epic...")