Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Hellblazer #16

Christian    752

Nope. Not going to do this anymore. Hellblazer just does not interest me anymore.

Can't DC spare a few bucks to get some decent artists? I know there are plenty out there, so why do they insist on putting artists who draw like they're doing an animated series on this book?

Hellblazer has obviously gone all multi-cultural, with each story-arc featuring a new culture's mythology as their "demon" of the month. Some people will probably get offended to see a Hindu/Buddhist deity lumped in with "demons" though.

The issue read as if it were being written on auto-pilot. As if someone entered a general description of John and some of his lines in to a computer, and this is the story that the computer wrote.

So, this officially marks my ending with John Constantine. It was fun once upon a time, now it's a chore. This was the last chance I was giving the book, with Kadrey taking a stab at Generic Johnny.

The best part of the issue was the "DC Essential Graphic Novels of 2017" ad, where the superheroes all look really gloomy and sober while they're reading DC comics. I guess I can understand the sentiment.

Not a bad cover though.

Hellblazer #16A

I have to agree, this one wasn't very good at all. Stuff happens here, but it's mostly the same old Hellblazer cliches and I can't find myself caring about any of it. John is just moving through the motions in this issue - auto-pilot is a very good term to describe how this issue feels.

Is Davide Fabbri the only artist left in the industry willing to work on Hellblazer? I found his art utterly unfitting for a Hellblazer book when he first popped up during the very worst of Oliver's run and it hasn't improved with Kadrey - and judging by solicits, it seems he's on this book for the long haul. It's kind of hard to sell Hellblazer as a horror book when it more closely resembles an afterschool cartoon special - I'm half expecting these Scooby-Doo demons to start lecturing John on the dangers of smoking and drinking.

I'm probably out for the rest of Kadrey's stay.

Yeah, I was a fan of Seeley's arc, but Kadrey's first issue left me totally cold.  I'm not a fan of Fabbri's artwork at all, it's so pedestrian and uninteresting, which I guess fits with the stories he's been slotted to draw both for Oliver and now this.  I'm glad Seeley's back in a few issues.

dogpoet    463
On 22/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, Christian said:

The best part of the issue was the "DC Essential Graphic Novels of 2017" ad, where the superheroes all look really gloomy and sober while they're reading DC comics. I guess I can understand the sentiment.

"You don't have to be an immortal Kryptonian to wade through this shite month after month, but it helps..."

• Upvote 1