Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Best comics of 2017

JasonT    443

What were the best comics published in 2017?

If it appeared in 2017 or it was cover-dated 2017, that's close enough. And "best" can mean "best of the small cross section I read" or "my favourite".

Here's my list of approximately 5:

Kill or Be Killed
2000AD
Captain America - Sam Wilson
Moonshine

What's your list?

dogpoet    463

Do unfinished series count? The Wildstorm and Mister Miracle both spring to mind.

Christian    752

Geez, my memory is shot today. I'm having a hard time thinking of comic series.

That sort of sums up 2017 in comics to me. Marvel and DC continued to lose my interest more and more as the year progressed, leaving mostly Image books to catch my attention.

Black Monday Murders

Ultimates

dogpoet    463

I wasn't keen enough on Calexit or There's Nothing There to say either of those, the last Empowered OGN and Chaykin's Newsboy legion thing were both pretty great by objective standards, but neither measures up to their creators' a list stuff, Kid Lobotomy is probably not a masterpiece, and I probably didn't read all that many comics that weren't reprints or collections this year anyway.

Christian    752

Did any more issues of Calexit ever ship after the first one? I haven't seen the book since issue #1. I didn't really have any interest in continuing the follow the book after Stan Lee-scripted Red Skull showed up as the antagonist.

I was thinking of putting Kid Lobotomy on my list, just for fun. The book really isn't that good. It's been enough to pique my interest to follow it for three issues, so far. It's hardly one of the best comics though. In a stronger comic book year, it probably wouldn't stand out at all. But, when you have Marvel and DC publishing mostly mindless drivel at this point (barring one or two notable exceptions), Kid Lobotomy ends up standing out as something other than a cross-over or relaunch.

dogpoet    463

Meh. You'll be bigging up one of IDW's hasbro sharecrops next...

Christian    752

The Micronauts series wasn't too terrible under Cullen Bunn (that was from 2016 though). It still was better than a load of Marvel and DC's output from this year.

(That was the only one of those Hasbro books I read.)

Christian    752

Oh yeah, I knew I forgot something (probably more than one). It was DC's best book, while it lasted (Mister Miracle now takes its spot). I bet it was on my list for last year.

EDIT: Royal City by Jeff Lemire.....Beautiful. You don't see a lot of comic books like Royal City in 2017, unfortunately.

Lou K    1,064

I was going to state Black Hammer but that was last year so yeah, Royal City it is.

There's Nothing There was probably the most memorable series for me this year, though I liked it quite a bit I wouldn't put it up as any kind of "BEST COMIC OF THE YEAR" list.  I just didn't read a whole lot this year.  The previously mentioned Wild Storm and Mister Miracle have both been amazing, though the former is starting to show some cracks for me.  I'd like to give an honorable mention to Max Bemis' Moon Knight, which is only two issues in but fuck were they good reads.