Sign in to follow this  
GottaGetAGrip

Concept art for an unproduced JLD movie released

The link to the images

According to the artist who uploaded these pics, these were part of a pitch by director Joseph Kahn to work on the unused Del Toro Dark Universe script. Contains concept art for Swamp Thing, Floronic Man, Zatanna, Jason Blood (no Etrigan tho), Deadman, and of course our boy John.

Kahn has also shared the images on Twitter, along with a video of a Swamp Thing animation test.

I'll admit, the Swamp Thing and Deadman designs are actually pretty good but dear God what the hell is up with that Constantine and Zatanna? Suddenly Keanu and TynionDoyle's John don't look so shabby!

(anyone recognize what actors the concept arts were based off of? Jason Blood looks like Chiwetel Ejiofer to me but I can't place this John or Zatanna)

A. Heathen    1,171

I guess their Constantine would have been an attempt to connect viewers with the previous movie version.

But ugh to that version of Zatanna.

seventhcircle    597

I'm all for making zee look a bit bitchy, but that is straight up white trash. I mean her attire makes her easily confused for a stripper, but still...

Also: what is a floronic man?

A. Heathen    1,171

Zatanna is Natalie Dormer from Games of Thrones.

02.jpg

Floronic Man, Jason Woodrue, a chap who fetishised plants and had science madness. He gets more planty as time goes on.

By the way, that chap posted some explanations on the Twitter.

His Constantine is this chap: http://www.dan-stevens.co.uk/

seventhcircle    597
28 minutes ago, A. Heathen said:

Zatanna is Natalie Dormer from Games of Thrones.

#notmazee

The cover looks as if he forces swamp thing to eat a yellow dick. Is he a prolific enemy of the green?

A. Heathen    1,171

He was employed by the Parliament of Trees to keep Swampy in check, but I think they regretted it.
It's one of the Swamp Thing tubers that "opened people's minds" I think.

Floronic Man was also the main villain of Alan Moore's first arc on the title. He was hired by the Sunderland Corporation to research Swamp Thing's "corpse" and was the one to discover that Moore's Swamp Thing was in fact a plant who thought he was a man, not a man who had been turned into a plant.

And apparently that Constantine concept art was traced off a David Tennant 10th Doctor image:

51sJpwaWlhL._SY355_.jpg

Must admit, there is more than a resemblance between poses.

Christian    805

Jason Woodrue, the Floronic Man, was actually introduced all the way back in the Silver Age Atom #1, in a story written by Gardner Fox.

He had some sort of connection with an extra-dimensional realm of dryads in his first appearance, and would then use a formula to turn himself in to a human/plant hybrid.

The character was pretty much ret-conned when Alan Moore was writing Swamp Thing, so that Woodrue was back to being something of a normal human.

Then, in Swamp Thing #22, Woodrue decided to eat a tuber from Swamp Thing's body in order to contact the Green. He is driven insane by his experience, and starts referring to himself as Wood-rue.

I think the discrepancies are reconciled by Rick Veitch in an issue of Secret Origins about the Floronic Man.

dogpoet    497
On 17/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, seventhcircle said:

I'm all for making zee look a bit bitchy, but that is straight up white trash. I mean her attire makes her easily confused for a stripper, but still...

A very expensive stripper rather than a metal groupie, yes.

The non CGI character designs there all look like members of a particularly shitty nu metal band, come to that...

Lou K    1,097
On 12/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, GottaGetAGrip said:

I'll admit, the Swamp Thing and Deadman designs are actually pretty good but dear God what the hell is up with that Constantine and Zatanna? Suddenly Keanu and TynionDoyle's John don't look so shabby!

Hahaha yeah I agree.