Sign in to follow this  
Lou K

Comics Shipping the Week of February 12th 2018

Christian    761

It looks like the Ennis GR book was under the Marvel Knights banner. Marvel Knights could be funny, in that some books under that imprint were definitely set in the 616 Marvel Universe, but later on, Marvel started to publish some books that were not considered canon under the Marvel Knights imprint as well. So, I'm not sure if Ennis' GR counted as canon or not. It was pretty bad though.

The original intent when Gary Friedrich created GR was that Blaze sold his soul to Satan. However, Marvel editorial started to get antsy about the idea of the actual Christian Satan being used in Marvel Comics, and it was later ret-conned that it was Mephisto in disguise whom Blaze made a deal.

Son of Satan wasn't prominently being used at Marvel at that time, but Marvel's editorial stance of not actually using Satan in their comics would continue, as his father was eventually ret-conned to be Marduk disguised as Satan.....Thus making Daimon the Son of Marduk, I guess....which somehow doesn't have the same ring.

Why Marvel editorial got all these jitters about using the actual Christian-version of Satan is beyond me. "Oh, Christians will be offended! We'd better just use demons in those roles, because Christians are ok with anything Satanic, so long as it doesn't use the actual Satan." Sure.

dogpoet    476

Apparently Satan was bad for sales in the '70s. Nobody ever told the shrink who wrote "Michelle Makes Stuff Up" or William Peter Blatty that, sadly...

(And at least Marvel's approach was slightly less risible and fawning to people who deserve only contempt than TSR's was twenty years later, but discussing that would leave me looking for a cat to kick...)

30 minutes ago, Christian said:

It looks like the Ennis GR book was under the Marvel Knights banner. Marvel Knights could be funny, in that some books under that imprint were definitely set in the 616 Marvel Universe, but later on, Marvel started to publish some books that were not considered canon under the Marvel Knights imprint as well. So, I'm not sure if Ennis' GR counted as canon or not. It was pretty bad though.

The original intent when Gary Friedrich created GR was that Blaze sold his soul to Satan. However, Marvel editorial started to get antsy about the idea of the actual Christian Satan being used in Marvel Comics, and it was later ret-conned that it was Mephisto in disguise whom Blaze made a deal.

Son of Satan wasn't prominently being used at Marvel at that time, but Marvel's editorial stance of not actually using Satan in their comics would continue, as his father was eventually ret-conned to be Marduk disguised as Satan.....Thus making Daimon the Son of Marduk, I guess....which somehow doesn't have the same ring.

Why Marvel editorial got all these jitters about using the actual Christian-version of Satan is beyond me. "Oh, Christians will be offended! We'd better just use demons in those roles, because Christians are ok with anything Satanic, so long as it doesn't use the actual Satan." Sure.

It wasn't just the use of Satan that had Marvel all timid about offending the Christians, there was also Hippie Jesus running around as Johnny Blaze's personal guru during Tony Isabella's run.  Shooter changing the end of Isabella's "GR saved by Jesus" finale is what led the latter over to DC, at least according to Isabella's accounts.  Shooter, naturally, recalls it differently.

dogpoet    476

I won't give Shooter that hard a time while Tom DeFalco doesn't get punched in the face by angry comics fans every time he appears in public.

(Just sayin'.)

Lou K    1,071
48 minutes ago, Christian said:

Ennis' GR...It was pretty bad though.

His second arc, Trail of Tears, was pretty good however.

Christian    761

Ixnay-Yes, but editing Jesus out at least made a tiny bit of sense. "Using the saviour of the Christian faith in a fictional setting might offend Christians." at least made some sort of sense.

"Christians will be offended by the use of the actual Satan as a villain, we better not use him, and just use demons and Hell, which Christians won't find offensive instead!". That makes a lot less sense. Especially, as Dog pointed out,  during the 1970s, the entertainment world made a real cottage industry out of using the Devil and possession as antagonists in outlets outside of comics. Christians didn't seem to have a problem rushing to the theatres to see the valiant priest defeat the Devil possessing innocents.

Marvel editorial censoring the plans for Jesus in GR is what really ruined the book for me. I really liked those stories featuring Jesus and Satan. Then, Marvel editorial stepped in, and the book went way downhill. It didn't recover, for mine, until DeMatteis took over.

JohnMcMahon    574

Yeah that was one of the titles I'd heard about, Ghost Rider with a chainsaw hand - what's not to love ?!?

On Jordan, turns out I already read something of his in the form of the enjoyably bloody first collection of Spread.  Dead Body Road & his Luther Arkwright stuff are currently on sale over on Comixology, might give one of them a gander.

Christian    761

Whose Luther Arkwright stuff? Talbot was the only one to write that series, wasn't he?

If you're referring to Talbot's Luther Arkwright and you haven't read that yet, you must read that immediately. It's amazing work.