Sign in to follow this  
Christian

16 Comic Book Series Nobody Admits to Owning

Christian    782

16 Comic Book Series Nobody Admits to Owning:

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-series-nobody-admits-to-owning/

I'm not sure about some of these falling within the catergory of "people not admitting to owning" Probably a few, but I can't see someone being ashamed to admit they bought The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

I knew Miller wouldn't live up to the lofty expectations I put on him based on the Dark Knight Returns, so I never bothered with it.

Alan Moore's Lost Girls does not belong on the list. It is controversial, sure, but it was a well-written work of literature. No one should be ashamed of owning it.

Let's see....I also bought:

Black Widow: Pale Little Spider-I don't know why it's on the list. It's not bad. Just because it features BDSM scenes and situations? That's really not that controversial. It was at least better than Azzarello's "Ashes and Dust" HB story-arc.

Rawhide Kid-Yeah, it was actually embarrassing at the time it was published, not just because of the way that acceptance of homosexuality has changed over the past 16 years. It was always a series that seemed more interested in making jokes about Rawhide Kid being gay than anything else. I'm not ashamed I bought the book, but I think Marvel should be ashamed, maybe not that they published it, but that they felt it was socially ground-breaking, rather than juvenile.

Chuck Austen's run on Uncanny X-Men-I'm more embarrassed that Marvel published this, thinking it was a worthy companion series to Morrison's take on the X-Men. I admit I bought it, but I bought every issue of Uncanny X-Men. If it were any other series, I would have dropped it almost immediately, because it is just plain horrible in every way.

Identity Crisis-I only bought the first issue, I think, and dropped it, because it was terrible even back then. The sad part is that people thought this book was somehow artistic and relevant, rather than junk. I could see being embarrassed when looking back if you ever thought this book was a "comic book masterpiece", but it was the "big event" book that DC was pushing, so I can't see people actually being embarrassed they bought it back then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could certainly see people being embarrassed they bought something called a Marvel Swimsuit Special, definitely. I questioned why anyone would be interesting in such a thing when they were first published.

Marvel certainly has more books to be ashamed of than anyone else on this list.

Marville is the only other book on the list I could understand someone being embarrassed that they bought at the time. Its whole reason for existing was just so, so damning of Marvel. "I don't care if the book is well-written, I can spend five minutes churning out any garbage that comes in to my mind, throw a hot chick on the cover, and my book will easily outsell your stupid book, David!". Sometimes, I can't believe I supported this company for so long....it's not like horrible editorial decisions are a recent occurrence at latter-day Marvel, are they?

Trouble I am sure a lot of people would be embarrassed to admit they bought today, but at the time, it was supposed to be a big deal, so it's understandable why someone would buy it (if they still own a copy, it would be harder to explain, as I'd expect that to go as a trade-in pretty quickly). Who knew it would be about Aunt May's love life and her first abortion? I'm sure Millar might be embarrassed he wrote that too.

I especially liked how with Trouble, it was supposed to be about the "dire consequences of teen whoredom", but yet they had paedophilic approved sexually-explicit teenage girl cheesecake covers. Sort of a mixed-message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, time to come clean.....which ones do you own, and are you embarrassed you bought the books?

JohnMcMahon    587

I bought the first issue of Batman & Robin after that very panel started doing the rounds!  I still have these images uploaded -

asb_batmobile1.jpg

batmobile2.jpg

Dumb comic, very dumb but at least that gave it a kind of character ?  Even 'back then' using queer as pejorative wasn't on (it never should have been, obv) but it kind of fits the little snot that he was - the absurdity of it all worked for me.  I'm pretty sure it was delays in publishing that made me lose interest more than anything else.

Have a copy of The Dark Knight Strikes Again on my bookshelf, to compound that sin my copy of The Dark Knight Returns has long since disappeared.

Never actually bought an issue of Tarot but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that curiosity never got the better of me when it comes to those overly endowed witches - I'll say this, if you ever purchased a Tarot comic for the cover alone then I think you'd be very satisfied with the actual contents!  I see they're still publishing too!  

I do have a semi-recent shameful comic purchase to confess - grabbed the first issue of Howard Chaykin's Black Kiss and upon reading immediately looked up how to hide purchases on the Comixology app!  No jokes, I was kind of shocked at just how explicit it was and had visions of my tablet doing to rounds at Christmas so one of my siblings could read an Ellis comic or something and them stumbling across this fuck-book...!

dogpoet    487

I'd've said that the big final twist in Black Kiss is a lot more embarrassing than any of the sex scenes, myself, but that's getting into spoilers, John. :biggrin:

I'm dubious that Tarot belongs on that list. If Balent wants to draw tits and blather about Wiccans, let him. It's pretty harmless next to most of the '90s bad girl comics and swimsuit issues (why are only the Marvel ones named and shamed over those, btw? Most of the image companies and a fair few of the '90s indies used to churn out swimsuit issues as well), and most of the humour seems to be intentional as well. It's more along the lines of a far crappier Empowered than dreck like Marville. And as Christian has already said, that Black Widow series is a perfectly good thriller, despite a couple of BDSM scenes, it just isn't as good as the first two miniseries about the replacement Black Widow.

A really embarrassing comic that isn't on the list is that Punisher Arsenal thing, or whatever it was called. An annual-sized comic that was just splash pages of guns with crypto-technical blather. That was definitely one of the more shameless examples of '90s Punisher milking, and the whole set of it would probably have cost a lot more than that year's edition of Jane's Gun Guide (or whatever it's called), which the artist and writer probably just copied the details out of...

Lou K    1,083

Oh man now I am flashing back to when the Punisher was an angel or whatever and had spirit guns and hunted down demons or something.

• Upvote 2

Even worse, when the Punisher became a black guy, those issues are ones I always happily skip over when I'm doing re-reads of that series.  I'm guilty of picking up the Austen X-Men issues, though even I gave up halfway through the run.  That was what broke my Uncanny X-Men completist run, in fact, fuck it was awful.  

I'd have to disagree about Punisher Armory, though.  I'm far from being a "gun guy", but the pages all had narrative captions written by Eliot Brown that captured the Punisher's voice perfectly.  It wasn't just "hey, here's this gun, it kills people", each entry had a story behind it.  I remember one that had a little snub-nose pistol that had belonged to Frank's wife, a purse gun, and the narration was all about how he wished she'd had it with them the day they were killed in the park.  Another one had a little cowboy cap gun that was his son's, and how it was the one gun Frank would never part with.  Surprisingly well-written stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

dogpoet    487

Those last two are both really nice character touches, but I'm not sure they belonged in a comic that just seemed to be an excuse for drawings of guns.

No argument about the whole "Frank subscribes to Ebony" storyline being a ridiculous load of arsedribble, though. The daftest thing about that one, iirc, is that he gets made over because Jigsaw carved his face up while he was in prison, and while Jigsaw has never been able to get his own phizz patched up, a struck off plastic surgeon turned crack whore fixes Frank's face for him in a single procedure and develops a radical new treatment to turn him black while she's at it. This is where Jigsaw fails, obviously: instead of wasting all that money on plastic surgery, he should have just found a hooker with a drug habit.

Christian, there is an excuse for buying at least one issue of Marville: as a desperate and underhand attempt to outsell Peter David's Captain Marvel by cheating, Jemas struck the submission guidelines for a "pitch us a new Max comic" talent search in one issue of Marville instead of a lettercolumn. The guideline was never published anywhere else, and (so far as I know) nothing came of it.

• Like 1

JasonT    451
On 16/02/2018 at 6:26 AM, Christian said:

OK, time to come clean.....which ones do you own, ...

Absolutely none. :tongue: